The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lyme disease

We've lived in tick country for 16 years and knock on wood no Lyme. Lady with Labs we train with has had it in all her dogs. Our vet believes in Lyme vaccination and her vet does not! We start them as pups and then yearly. Have used Vectra and Frontline Plus. Both are waterproof to some extent. It is wise to put them on and keep dog dry for 24-48 hours before swimming first time. I understand price of Doxycline has gone up quite a bit.

We have a 5 year old Golden who has a 'tick born'disease. We were out of the country when he got sick about 3 years ago. He hadworked in a hunt test in Arkansas in March of that year. After multiple phone calls to us it wasclear he was in real trouble. Thevet/kennel staff finally took him to an emergency clinic in Overland Park, KSas they were unable to diagnose the problem and he was getting worse. The vet was able to keep him alive until wegot home a week late, but not much more than that. They were not able to diagnosis what waswrong; he was very weak, not eating, dehydrated, etc. We immediately took himto another vet, and they quickly diagnosed the problem and put him on doxy for12 mo. He improved within a few days and was recovered within a week. Very costly lesson about choosing good vetísand boarding facilities (into the $1,000 of dollars)

NOTE: This year this same dog started showing the same symptoms in January. Hewas stressed about a new puppy we had brought into our home and he had to beboarded for a few days prior to picking up the new pup. Our vet told us thistick disease can reoccur once the dog has been exposed. So back on doxy for 90days, and he was fine in a few days. This is nasty stuff and I read somewhereon this site that the only real way to protect your dog is to check them forticks after all field work, all other means help, but checking them is best!

I've been told the test for dogs who have received a lyme vaccine is the Idexx test which can rule out a false positive. Unlike the normal lyme test which can be done at the same time as a yearly heartworm test, the Idexx test must be sent away for lab analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by pheona View Post
    Just check online and watch some videos of some reactions to them. Legs are number one side effect but heart,kidney,liver can be effected also.
    This is definitely not the way I would decide whether something was safe or unsafe to give to my dog.

Buck

Here is information on testing whether dog has had Lyme vaccine or not, etc: http://www.caberfeidh.com/Lyme.htm

In our area of northcentral Pa., our vet. says that dogs which receive no preventative, ie. vaccine and/or monthly treatments, are almost certain to test positive for Lyme within a 6 mo. time frame.

There is a spray version of Frontline that our vet. recommends, and we use, in between monthly applications of the more conventional liquid topical formula. Additionally we are using the vaccine that Pat mentions. Vet. recommends the spray supplement due to the water training.

Here is an ad about the Scalibor tick collar:
    http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...0-b64f07985c0c

It can be used instead of Frontline Plus or other tick preventative.

Tim, can you tell me the name of that?

Quote Originally Posted by TimFenstermacher View Post
    There is a spray version of Frontline that our vet. recommends, and we use, in between monthly applications of the more conventional liquid topical formula. Additionally we are using the vaccine that Pat mentions. Vet. recommends the spray supplement due to the water training.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

I belong to a list called "TICK-L". Search the internet for it. Lots of knowledgeable people on the list. You can search the list for info, I signed up for the digest. Some of the posts get out of hand and a little annal, but there is alot of good info available on it.

Personally I believe tick borne diseases need to be taken very seriously. My dogs have had both lyme and anaplasmosis. I treat agressively - 10mg/pound, i.e. 700mg/day for a 70 pound dog (350 in AM & 350in PM with food) for 60 days. Pound the disease, kill it, don't let it get a foot hold. I believe it affects every system in the animal, muscles, joints, internal organs(kidneys), brain,etc. It does not go away without agressive treatment IMO and can reoccur months or years later in various ailments.

Tick Links

saluqi.home.netcom.com/ticklinks.htmCached - Similar
    You +1'd this publicly. Undo
    The TICK-L Links Page. This page lists some Web sites which may be of interest. ... Jasper's Canine Tick-borne Disease Information page, by Anne McGuire ...
    Last edited by Chuck Ward; 04-10-2013 at 12:25 PM. Reason: add link