The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Handler Whistle

Default Handler Whistle

Anyone own one of these ? What do ya think ?

http://www.crobiltcalls.com/handlerswhistle.html

Looks great. What's it cost?

$90.

Anyone used one? How does it sound? Does the sound carry? Easy to blow?

$90 for a whistle I use all the time is wellllll not really OK but doable if the whistle is good, that is the dogs hear it at a distance, doesn't blow hard, and I can inflect the sounds. Using the Gonia innards makes me feel OK about them but if the bell doesn't help the sound like the Answer seems to, it's just a pretty piece of junk.

To me the Answer sounds crappy, but it doesn't take to much air, the dogs respond well to it, and I can talk to them with it to some degree.

I'd hate to spend $90 on a whistle and shit can it after a couple of weeks 'cause it doesn't communicate to the dogs as well as the Answer. For $12 I get about a year out of an Answer before the darn thing breaks.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

I am not too sure about putting a metal whistle against my lips during a MN winter.

I know several of the locals that have them and seem to like them. From what I have seen they are loud. I know that they are machined and I believe you can take the bell apart and replace the whistle when it wears out.
    God, Family, Country & LSU Football.

Quote Originally Posted by tim bonnema View Post
    I am not too sure about putting a metal whistle against my lips during a MN winter.
    I expect it's mostly the plastic against your lips. I will not keep the whistle against my lips when it's colder than 5 below. 0 I can stand for awhile 8 below NO WAY!!

Quick toot regards,

PS. So far I haven't had a plastic whistle stick to my lips in the cold so maybe you have something there about the metal whistle.

Anyhoo, I called and ordered one. I'll let everyone know what I think of it after I've used it for a week or so. The owner seemed like a decent guy.
    Last edited by Howard N; 04-30-2012 at 11:34 AM.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

I'm curious to hear about the volume. I'd really like to get a REALLY, REALLY loud and projecting whistle.

I have a regular Roy Gonia whistle that works well for me. However, hunting with a buddy this past Fall, he almost had a disastrous situation. He sent his dog out after a blind in the Chesapeake and a driving rain fall moved in in seconds, while his dog was out in the water. It was raining so hard that the pounding of the rain on the water prevented his dog from hearing his whistle. Dog kept going and he couldn't get him to stop going. Had to get the boat and go get him.

It was at this point that I said I need to get a REALLY, REALLY loud whistle to throw in my blind bag, in case I were ever to encounter a similar situatior (which I hope I never do, knock on wood).

Howard, what's the verdict on the aluminum megaphone?

I have had my aluminum megaphone for one week,great whistle! the pitch is higher than my plastic megaphone looks cool too.
    Dave Hare
    CFC-CAFC Maralan's C.E.O.
    Horsetooth's Otto Know 2012 National Derby List
    Berkshire's Bad Medicine Doc
    R.I P-Hard Labs Fast Lane Phred-SH
    R.I.P-Catalina's Curve Ball
    R.I.P-Klondike's Chocolate Charger-MH 4 Time Ducks Unlimited Retriever of the year MN.
    www.berkshireretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by DaveHare View Post
    I have had my aluminum megaphone for one week,great whistle! the pitch is higher than my plastic megaphone looks cool too.
    Dave Hare
    What about volume?