The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Handler Whistle

I have a custom made one that was given to me , it very good, very durable, tone is excellent compared to my plastic one above...

All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Dog View Post
    What about volume?
    You can hear a difference, in the pitch and volume it's much better!!!
    Dave Hare
    CFC-CAFC Maralan's C.E.O.
    Horsetooth's Otto Know 2012 National Derby List
    Berkshire's Bad Medicine Doc
    R.I P-Hard Labs Fast Lane Phred-SH
    R.I.P-Catalina's Curve Ball
    R.I.P-Klondike's Chocolate Charger-MH 4 Time Ducks Unlimited Retriever of the year MN.
    www.berkshireretrievers.com

It looks like the whistle can be replaced if it breaks. Is that the case?
    Chris Pennington

Quote Originally Posted by crp66 View Post
    It looks like the whistle can be replaced if it breaks. Is that the case?
    Yes..the shroud is held together by a hex bolt that can be removed by an allen wrench
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Mine came this week. I have used it twice.

#1. It's hefty. No light weight here. The aluminum is not stamped out, light weight sheet metal. He told me it was machined out of a bar of aluminum and I believe him. Two halves screw together with a flat head allen wrench screw. I haven't had mine apart yet.

On a long water blind where you have to have the whistle in your mouth watching the dog for a misstroke swimming along a shoreline your jaw will be atremblin'. It does for me with the Green Monster and the Dalahasee too.

The sound is different. The Answer has a slightly higher pitch. It seems like the Crobilt whistle is lower pitched and there are two tones which hetrodyne. At least that's what I think I'm hearing. I first tried it swimbying the yearling. She heard it, responded to it no problem. I tried running a 420 yard x-wind land blind with it. I ran out of whistle at ~350 yards. The dog didn't respond to the Answer at that range and wind conditions either. She did a Dalahasee on the way back. That's the only two times I've used it so far.

My gut feeling is that the Answer is a little louder and will reach out a little further. I think the lower pitch and the mixing of two tones might be robbing a little volume/distance from the Crobilt. Don't know for sure and I'll know more in a couple of weeks.
    Last edited by Howard N; 05-17-2012 at 08:09 PM.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Mine came this week. I have used it twice.

#1. It's hefty. No light weight here. The aluminum is not stamped out, light weight sheet metal. He told me it was machined out of a bar of aluminum and I believe him. Two halves screw together with a flat head allen wrench screw. I haven't had mine apart yet.

On a long water blind where you have to have the whistle in your mouth watching the dog for a misstroke swimming along a shoreline your jaw will be atremblin'. It does for me with the Green Monster and the Dalahasee too.

The sound is different. The Answer has a slightly higher pitch. It seems like the Crobilt whistle is lower pitched and there are two tones which hetrodyne. At least that's what I think I'm hearing. I first tried it swimbying the yearling. She heard it, responded to it no problem. I tried running a 420 yard x-wind land blind with it. I ran out of whistle at ~350 yards. The dog didn't respond to the Answer at that range and wind conditions either. She did a Dalahasee on the way back. That's the only two times I've used it so far.

My gut feeling is that the Answer is a little louder and will reach out a little further. I think the lower pitch and the mixing of two tones might be robbing a little volume/distance from the Crobilt. Don't know for sure and I'll know more in a couple of weeks.
    Howard: What do you think now?
    www.BayouMagicRetrievers.com
    FC AFC Wing Magic's Louisiana Roux MH "Roux"
    Bayou Magic's Road to Hurricane "Roadie" (Knucklehead Puppy)
    Bayou Magic's Tough as a Boot "Boot" (Knucklehead Puppy)

"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." -- George Herman Ruth

I'm getting ready for our first trial of the year and haven't been using the new whistle. I am happier with the lighter Dallahasee and Answer. I'll play more with the Crobuilt after these next two weeks. Honestly, I don't think it's as good as what I'm using now but I'll work with it more after our first two trials.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Ok,newb here, but doesn't anyone use a metal Acme Thunderer anymore? Thats a durable whistle very loud whistle (probably carries 1/4 mile), I've had it & used the same one for 29 years, I ride horses with the dogs loose & they've always heard it.

Quote Originally Posted by Penner View Post
    Ok,newb here, but doesn't anyone use a metal Acme Thunderer anymore? Thats a durable whistle very loud whistle (probably carries 1/4 mile), I've had it & used the same one for 29 years, I ride horses with the dogs loose & they've always heard it.
    Any whistle without a shroud is a ticket to early hearing loss for the handler.

The new sport dog Gonia special SUCKS wish i could find my old ones