RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Handler Whistle

13K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  Chris Videtto 
#1 ·
#3 ·
$90.

Anyone used one? How does it sound? Does the sound carry? Easy to blow?

$90 for a whistle I use all the time is wellllll not really OK but doable if the whistle is good, that is the dogs hear it at a distance, doesn't blow hard, and I can inflect the sounds. Using the Gonia innards makes me feel OK about them but if the bell doesn't help the sound like the Answer seems to, it's just a pretty piece of junk.

To me the Answer sounds crappy, but it doesn't take to much air, the dogs respond well to it, and I can talk to them with it to some degree.

I'd hate to spend $90 on a whistle and **** can it after a couple of weeks 'cause it doesn't communicate to the dogs as well as the Answer. For $12 I get about a year out of an Answer before the darn thing breaks.

#6 · (Edited)
I expect it's mostly the plastic against your lips. I will not keep the whistle against my lips when it's colder than 5 below. 0 I can stand for awhile 8 below NO WAY!!

Quick toot regards,

PS. So far I haven't had a plastic whistle stick to my lips in the cold so maybe you have something there about the metal whistle.

Anyhoo, I called and ordered one. I'll let everyone know what I think of it after I've used it for a week or so. The owner seemed like a decent guy.

#7 ·
I'm curious to hear about the volume. I'd really like to get a REALLY, REALLY loud and projecting whistle.

I have a regular Roy Gonia whistle that works well for me. However, hunting with a buddy this past Fall, he almost had a disastrous situation. He sent his dog out after a blind in the Chesapeake and a driving rain fall moved in in seconds, while his dog was out in the water. It was raining so hard that the pounding of the rain on the water prevented his dog from hearing his whistle. Dog kept going and he couldn't get him to stop going. Had to get the boat and go get him.

It was at this point that I said I need to get a REALLY, REALLY loud whistle to throw in my blind bag, in case I were ever to encounter a similar situatior (which I hope I never do, knock on wood).

#9 ·
I have had my aluminum megaphone for one week,great whistle! the pitch is higher than my plastic megaphone looks cool too.
Dave Hare

#11 ·
I have a custom made one that was given to me , it very good, very durable, tone is excellent compared to my plastic one above...

#14 ·
Yes..the shroud is held together by a hex bolt that can be removed by an allen wrench

#15 · (Edited)
Mine came this week. I have used it twice.

#1. It's hefty. No light weight here. The aluminum is not stamped out, light weight sheet metal. He told me it was machined out of a bar of aluminum and I believe him. Two halves screw together with a flat head allen wrench screw. I haven't had mine apart yet.

On a long water blind where you have to have the whistle in your mouth watching the dog for a misstroke swimming along a shoreline your jaw will be atremblin'. It does for me with the Green Monster and the Dalahasee too.

The sound is different. The Answer has a slightly higher pitch. It seems like the Crobilt whistle is lower pitched and there are two tones which hetrodyne. At least that's what I think I'm hearing. I first tried it swimbying the yearling. She heard it, responded to it no problem. I tried running a 420 yard x-wind land blind with it. I ran out of whistle at ~350 yards. The dog didn't respond to the Answer at that range and wind conditions either. She did a Dalahasee on the way back. That's the only two times I've used it so far.

My gut feeling is that the Answer is a little louder and will reach out a little further. I think the lower pitch and the mixing of two tones might be robbing a little volume/distance from the Crobilt. Don't know for sure and I'll know more in a couple of weeks.

#17 ·
I'm getting ready for our first trial of the year and haven't been using the new whistle. I am happier with the lighter Dallahasee and Answer. I'll play more with the Crobuilt after these next two weeks. Honestly, I don't think it's as good as what I'm using now but I'll work with it more after our first two trials.

#21 ·
I agree. I still use my old Lucky Dog mega that I bought in 1995. I happened to find some still in the box old Lucky Dog stock of this whistle on Ebay several years ago for $5.00 including shipping so I bought another one. I really don't buy into the whistle hype too much. I've been to, run in, and worked at a number of field trials. While working at events at the long bird station, I have not heard any real difference in volume among the old mega whistles and the Dallesasse/Green Monster whistles. From what I've heard while working at events, the Answer whistles are by far the worst of the lot. Out in the field, the volume of that whistle seems to be well below that of the others especially in wind. The ability to blow an old mega consistently is a different issue though. A well-known pro I've seen run in many events used the old megas for many years. I noticed recently that he is now using the Dallesasse. He told me the only reason he switched was because some of his clients had an easier time blowing it so despite the fact that he never had problems with getting volume and tone of the megas, he switched just because some of his clients did. Then again, that could also be a Sportdog issue with the quality of the current megas being awful.

#25 ·
I just ordered one today cause curiosity got the best of me! Jeremy was great to work with! I'll let you know what I think moving forward!

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.