The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: akc and ukc hunt tests differences?

Default akc and ukc hunt tests differences?

I'm wondering the differences in hunt tests. I not sure what ukc calls their test. I'm a hunter wanting to use hunt test for training aid and fun times. Would one benefit me better than another?Are the levels of test the same? Do retriever clubs go all one way or another? I live in south central Wi. Are there more tests of one or the other around? DO the comparing titles mean as much in the dog world? Thanks in advance for all your help!
    wingman

Wingman,

The HRC (Hunting Retriever Club) operates under the UKC. Since you're a hunter I think you would find an HRC test very enjoyable and beneficial, not that and AKC hunt test wouldn't be it's just that in an HRC hunt test the handler actually fires blanks at each bird. In addition the handler and the gallery is asked to dress in complete camouflage to better simulate the hunting atmosphere, these are just couple of the differences.

I run my dogs in both AKC and UKC, in my area there are far more AKC tests than there are UKC tests, hopefully that's changing.

In my experience clubs usually do go one way or the other. Each test has their pros and cons and no way am I going to get into that. I can tell you that I personally use the entry level HRC tests to gauge where my dogs are prior to running the AKC stakes. For example, I'll run a seasoned HRC test prior to running an AKC senior test.

You shouldn't have an issue finding several tests from both the AKC and UKC in your area.

PS,
    I also register my dogs in both the UKC and the AKC.

Hope this helps a little.

Team A.
    How The West was Won ( Colt)
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Extreme Dixies Rebel Yell ( Dixie ) JH
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

The main difference between the tests is that in AKC you never fire a gun or handle a real gun. in HRC you will be required to fire a real gun (with primer shells) in the upper levels. Both use dead birds. AKC requires Live flyers in upper levels UKC prohibits live flyers in the lowest level. A steady dog and gun safety are really important in HRC/UKC. UKC is easier in the lower level. But can be easier or harder in the upper depending on your dog.
    Both of them would benefit you. There is no reason to not do both if you are a hunter.
    Both the upper level titles mean different things in different parts of the country, not becausse the tests are different but because some parts of the country just do not have a large UKC base. Lately the AKC Master National has had a higher pass rate (50%) than UKC/HRC Grand (20%). The UKC/HRC also has a seperate Upland test that AKC does not have for retrievers. So if you want to do an Upland Test you need to do UKC/HRC.
    Dogs Dog, Handlers Handle, Judges Judge

HRCH Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami MH QAA

Run 'em both! It will be good for you and the dog.
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

Go to this site http://www.huntingretrieverclub.org/ and click on Hunt Test Information located on the right side. The rules are displayed to help you know what is expected of you and your dog.

The concept of HRC is "Conceived by Hunters For Hunters". The idea is to have a dog that you can take to any geographical location and enjoy a days hunt with your dog.

You must shoulder the gun (loaded with poppers) and fire when the bird reaches the top of the arc. The handler may be failed for gun safety. All of the Judges, God Bless them, must be hunters and have passed a Hunters Safety Course.

HRC is very family oriented and believes in bringing our children along to be safe and happy hunters. They are our future. Find a test and introduce yourself and hang on. You will quickly become a member of the family. IT'S FUN.

The AKC is also a nice venue but some of the judges are not hunters and don't understand how to set up a test and what is involved regarding weather conditions. A test can change from the morning to the afternoon for the handlers and the wind, sun and rain can completely change the original idea. Some of the AKC tets I have seen lately are almost 'mini' field trials so you really do want your dog to be prepared.

Which every one or both organizations are FUN and meant to prepare you and your dog for the enjoyment we find in our dogs and hunting.
    A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart.

Over/under on number of pages this thread hits before it is locked?
    Put that in your pipe and smoke it

I dont think the tone of this thread is going anywhere negative. There really shouldnt be a competition between the venues. I run both and enjoy both for different reasons. If I was strictly a hunter and wanted to just make a better hunting dog I might just do HRC. Shooting at the line brings about a number of issues for some dogs. Other dogs might not have trouble transitioninig back and forth. We are all dog people and should take advantage of what we have offered. If there was NAHRA here I would probably try that.
    Bud Wendel
    West Central Ohio HRC President

UH HRCH Rippling Run Brandywine Surprise MH "Brandy"
    HR Carolina's Rock N Cotton JH "Carey"
    Cedarbreaks Days of Discovery "Marco"

And the reasons why a UKC hunt test is geared more towards hunters than an AKC test is...because...people wear camo, you hold a real gun, and the judges hunt? Really?
    Put that in your pipe and smoke it

When you are hunting in real life you dont have a duck call and shot in field to get dogs attention.
    Bud Wendel
    West Central Ohio HRC President

UH HRCH Rippling Run Brandywine Surprise MH "Brandy"
    HR Carolina's Rock N Cotton JH "Carey"
    Cedarbreaks Days of Discovery "Marco"

ran both like hrc better my .02...
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/