The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: akc and ukc hunt tests differences?

http://www.grca.org/events/field/hunt_tests.html

Here is a chart that compares several of the games.

In central Iowa we have NAHRA and AKC close by. I have done both and the NAHRA guys seem to be a little friendlier and willing to help, not that there aren't turds in both.

NAHRA doesn't have a competitive aspect to it so it is not you against me. AKC Hunt tests are competitive either but there is the field trial side that gets some people a little less likely to help the competition.

I am looking into the HRC game but there is nothing close for us in central Iowa.

It is impossible to REALLY simulate a duck hunt.

I've never shot a duck while sitting on a bucket in a hay field.

I've never shot a duck with a wooden gun in a hay field.

Both venues can be fun. A lot of which venue you prefer might have to do with the people in your local clubs. My advice would be to check out both. You might end up enjoying both, and both groups of people, equally. Or, you might find yourself gravitating to one over the other.

My ONLY criticism of HRC is that I think they take the clothing rule a little too far. I believe the rules say "hunting atire" but that's kind of subjective and I've seen that interpreted as camo. I've seen people have to change out of jeans or khaki pants before being allowed to run. I can't speak for anyone else, but I've spent plenty of mornings in a Louisiana goose pit wearing jeans and I've had many dove hunts where I've worn them as well.
    Ian McNamara
    Middle Tennessee Amateur Retriever Club

Quote Originally Posted by i_willie12 View Post
    ran both like hrc better my .02...
    X2 but NARHA is my Favorite, cuz they got upland hunting in every test

All the different organization have +'s / -'s no-ones hits it completely right yet. The different aspect about HRC is firing the gun, something I'd love to see in all venues, NARHA-AKC you can use a real gun or a stick, NAHRA lets you use your own gun if you want, but you don't get to fire it. NARHA"s got sit to flush and trailing. AKC-NARHA require live flyers HRC doesn't, although I'm starting to see more Flyers at HRC tests. HRC doesn't have call backs, so if you pay you get to play all day. HRC and NAHRA have # of entry cut offs, which are nice make the whole atmosphere calmer as they are not rushed for time. HRC-NARHA got 4 divisions, they have one inbtw JH &SH w multiple marks, and other hunting aspects but the dog doesn't have to be able to run blinds. HRC-NAHRA have one day test even at the upper level, AKC master is a 2 days test.

So the dream venue would have real gun with firing, live flyers, an upland portion, a one day test and no call backs. (Wait isn't that called Hunting, alas that doesn't go year round ). Still When they come up with a fully inclusive venue, I might be able to give up the others, until then I'll just have to continue running them all. Well as long as I can afford it
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 05-11-2012 at 12:57 PM.

This topic has to be in the TOP 5 most beaten-up discussions on RTF.

Wingman – do a search and you’ll find all your answers and more on the topic than you’ll want to read. Most people on here don’t care what venue you run as it should be.

Just have fun.

I've started a new venue RNRC, Red Neck Retriever Club. We all meet at the cabin drink lots of beer, either grill boil or fry something, and tell lies about our dogs.

Haven't had a dog fail one of our test yet. Try it alot less drama than those other test.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Schneider View Post
    And the reasons why a UKC hunt test is geared more towards hunters than an AKC test is...because...people wear camo, you hold a real gun, and the judges hunt? Really?
    Every time I go hunting, I sit the dog next to me and signal to my hunting buddy that I am ready, then a duck call comes from the field, a duck is thrown from the field and shot comes from the field in the same spot. All I have to do is stand there. Yep that is geared towards hunting.

At least in HRC you blow a duck call and shot a real gun

Yes they are both called Hunt Test and No you can never totally simulate a REAL Duck hunt, BUT Yes HRC does do a better job at pretending to be a real duck hunt.

Run them both and have fun.
    Home TO:
    GRHRCH UH Davis' Maximum Overdrive SH "Max" 03/27/2001 - 12/28/2009
    HRCH Davis' Wild Meadows Maverick SH "Maverick"
    GRHRCH UH Davis' Legend of the Gridiron "Woody"
    HRCH Davis' Legend of Mystic Hollow "Magic"
    HR Davis' Legend of Fire Lake "Seger"

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    I've started a new venue RNRC, Red Neck Retriever Club. We all meet at the cabin drink lots of beer, either grill boil or fry something, and tell lies about our dogs.

Haven't had a dog fail one of our test yet. Try it alot less drama than those other test.
    Where can I pick up my RNRC entry form?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
    Every time I go hunting, I sit the dog next to me and signal to my hunting buddy that I am ready, then a duck call comes from the field, a duck is thrown from the field and shot comes from the field in the same spot. All I have to do is stand there. Yep that is geared towards hunting.

At least in HRC you blow a duck call and shot a real gun

Yes they are both called Hunt Test and No you can never totally simulate a REAL Duck hunt, BUT Yes HRC does do a better job at pretending to be a real duck hunt.

Run them both and have fun.
    hahaha

Lets face it a "real" duck hunt isn't hard, don't take much of a dog to see and get a duck floating 40 yards out in a pond. That's why I prefer AKC tests. More of a challenge.

Big ole fan for the fire.
    Gavin B.

My real duck hunts include a lot of coffee, sitting, lies and missed shots.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH UH Ridgewood's Georgia Dawg (500 point club)
    HRCH Ridgewood's Gold II
    HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg

Quote Originally Posted by savage25xtreme View Post
    hahaha

Lets face it a "real" duck hunt isn't hard, don't take much of a dog to see and get a duck floating 40 yards out in a pond. That's why I prefer AKC tests. More of a challenge.

Big ole fan for the fire.
    Well Gavin,

Come run the Grand in Tulsa this fall if you want your challenge or are you scared?

Also last couple HRC tests, I have yet to find a duck floating at 40 yds in finished.

Bigger ole fan for the fire
    GRHRCH Huntington's Aged T Perfection MH...Colby (FC AFC Roux MH x GMPR Tyra MH)
    HRCH Huntington's All That Melody...Jazz (GRHRCH Boomer x Callie) Momma's Girl
    Huntington's Cool Customer... Chilly (Lefty QAA x Black SH)