The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: akc and ukc hunt tests differences?

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    I've started a new venue RNRC, Red Neck Retriever Club. We all meet at the cabin drink lots of beer, either grill boil or fry something, and tell lies about our dogs.p
    I'd be the youngest handler in the HOF in that retriever organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
    Run them both and have fun.
    I intend to.

Quote Originally Posted by whitefoot View Post
    My ONLY criticism of HRC is that I think they take the clothing rule a little too far. I believe the rules say "hunting atire" but that's kind of subjective and I've seen that interpreted as camo. I've seen people have to change out of jeans or khaki pants before being allowed to run. I can't speak for anyone else, but I've spent plenty of mornings in a Louisiana goose pit wearing jeans and I've had many dove hunts where I've worn them as well.
    Exactly. I've killed more birds without one inch of camo on, than I ever have with. Matter of fact, I've killed quite a few birds wearing a white jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by wendelb68 View Post
    When you are hunting in real life you dont have a duck call and shot in field to get dogs attention.
    I call with my mouth and shoot all my birds with a slingshot.
    Put that in your pipe and smoke it

Quote Originally Posted by bjoiner View Post
    My real duck hunts include a lot of coffee, sitting, lies and missed shots.
    Sounds like most hunt tests I've been to as well.
    Put that in your pipe and smoke it

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Huntington View Post
    Well Gavin,

Come run the Grand in Tulsa this fall if you want your challenge or are you scared?

Also last couple HRC tests, I have yet to find a duck floating at 40 yds in finished.

Bigger ole fan for the fire
    hmmm, weird you had Derek run/train your dog for master.... skerd of the challenge?
    Gavin B.

Quote Originally Posted by savage25xtreme View Post
    hmmm, weird you had Derek run/train your dog for master.... skerd of the challenge?
    hmmmm, gauntlet thrown oh my. You guys are skeering me.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

hahaha

Lets face it a "real" duck hunt isn't hard, don't take much of a dog to see and get a duck floating 40 yards out in a pond. That's why I prefer AKC tests. More of a challenge.

Big ole fan for the fire.
    I kind of agree. As a guy who started in NAHRA then did AKC hunt test before switching to field trials, and takes every hunting season off to duck hunt, I believe actual hunting is easier than any of the upper level hunt test I have run. I have observed that my dog's upper level handling skills are quite valuable in the field and marsh, but actual marking with most ducks falling in the decoys is really quite basic compared to what we train for and run in hunt test.

I haven't run HRC, but I really enjoyed both NAHRA and AKC hunt test. I loved the upland and tracking aspect of NAHRA, but felt AKC has slightly more technical marks and blinds. It's been years but at that time NAHRA seems more casual, light hearted and fun, while AKC was a bit stuffy.

John

Its called time...I did ALL of the early work and got his HRCH on him which was my goal.

You were the one that said you wanted a challenge so I offered the grand instead of your 40 yard water marks you refered to.
    GRHRCH Huntington's Aged T Perfection MH...Colby (FC AFC Roux MH x GMPR Tyra MH)
    HRCH Huntington's All That Melody...Jazz (GRHRCH Boomer x Callie) Momma's Girl
    Huntington's Cool Customer... Chilly (Lefty QAA x Black SH)

I understand Jeff. If I was low on time Derek would be at the top of my list..... but you were sitting in a lawn chair at the HT watching when your dog titled MH (one hell of a dawg btw I am very jealous).... I would value your opinion of HRC vs AKC if you were running the dawg.... It all looks easy from the lawn chair.

Personally I am much more intested in getting into the FT game than more HTs.
    Gavin B.

Mr. Extreme, May I suggest that you might go back to the first post of this thread and see what the fellow was asking for. And not to be blunt, but why don't you just go run Field Trials? Over the last thirty years, I've run and judged Qual. NAHRA, AKC hunt test and HRC hunt test. Before that I ran and judged gun dog club trials. I did all of this because I loved to see the dogs work, and they enjoyed it too.

Now, if you want to be quarlsome and stuffy, GO RUN FIELD TRIALS and leave us lesser folks alone. Bill
    'Show up for work, do the best job you can and treat others the way you would like to be treated'

I understand Jeff. If I was low on time Derek would be at the top of my list..... but you were sitting in a lawn chair at the HT watching when your dog titled MH (one hell of a dawg btw I am very jealous).... I would value your opinion of HRC vs AKC if you were running the dawg.... It all looks easy from the lawn chair.

Personally I am much more intested in getting into the FT game than more HTs.
    I wasn't saying akc wasn't hard I got the impression you didn't think hrc was a challenge. Wasn't offering my opinion on the difference but I believe hrc is not as complex up to master level but I believe the grand title is harder to obtain then passing master national given pass rates and number of dogs However it might change with new MNH title. As soon as Colby gets next pass and GR title I am planning on trying a qual to see what's up

If my liitle girl continues to progress I would also like to try a derby or 2 but time will tell
    GRHRCH Huntington's Aged T Perfection MH...Colby (FC AFC Roux MH x GMPR Tyra MH)
    HRCH Huntington's All That Melody...Jazz (GRHRCH Boomer x Callie) Momma's Girl
    Huntington's Cool Customer... Chilly (Lefty QAA x Black SH)

Wink

Something to consider...over 70% of the dogs run in the HRC Grand are run by pro trainers. 49% of dogs run in the AKC Master National were run by pro trainers.

So....if "By Hunters, for Hunters" means you have to have your pro hunt with you and your pro runs your dog when you hunt....then HRC is for you.

sorry................try them all, they are all fun. Some learn to buy camo and shuck a gun and some train dogs.