The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ear Will Not Heal

Default Ear Will Not Heal

I have a dog with an ear issue. She has a cut on the tip of her ear that will not heal. I have put wound spray on it and she keeps scratching off the scab. My vet has given me meds for an ear infection and nothing for the cut. She has had the cut for a few weeks now and it is starting to split her ear. We have tried the cone of shame and she destroyed in in a matter of minutes. Any ideas?

I'll give y the name of the glue I used. Used glue from the vet but it wasn't the best. It can be bought at dollar general, called goop maybe. It will stay on for a couple weeks anyway. Mine had a small eraser sized off his ear bitten off and it went on for months without healing until I bought the glue from dg. It still took a while to heal but they won't scratch it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Fogle View Post
    I have a dog with an ear issue. She has a cut on the tip of her ear that will not heal. I have put wound spray on it and she keeps scratching off the scab. My vet has given me meds for an ear infection and nothing for the cut. She has had the cut for a few weeks now and it is starting to split her ear. We have tried the cone of shame and she destroyed in in a matter of minutes. Any ideas?
    Seems to me that you need to keep a barrier between the wound and her paws at all times.

I'd keep an Elizabethan collar on her until it was fully healed.

How was the Elizabethan collar destroyed? Have you asked your vet for more help or for a heavier duty Elizabethan collar?

It is possible to modify an rubbermaid bucket into a protective collar

http://www.ehow.com/how_8238662_make-ecollar.html
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"
    Broad Reach Smarty Pants

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

An old pair of pantyhose cut to fit works
    Best at keeping dogs from reopening wound.

Had a dog destroy come of shame, used a roll of duct tape to reinforce and repair and make rather dog proof.
    Dogs Dog, Handlers Handle, Judges Judge

HRCH Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami MH QAA

How is the ear infection? Is it completely cleared up? Dogs that have ear infections sometimes will shake their heads and cause splits in the ear in addition to scratching. If the ear infection is still an issue, sometimes the ear has to be taped to the dog's head for a few days while the ear is treated and the ear flap is healing. Some ear infections are very hard to clear up and a culture is required to determine the exact antibiotic needed.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

I use a comfy cone vice the big plastic one. It has worked so far and it also doesn't hurt like heck when the dogs runs into you with it on.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

She kept pulling at the cone with her paws and running into stuff until it broke and then she shreaded it rather quickly. I will see if the vet has a heavier cone and if not I will try the recomendations. She does seem to have a chronic ear infection, will also need to get her checked out again. Just getting worried since it has not healed because of her constant attention to the ear. The wound does keep clean though. Thanks.

She kept pulling at the cone with her paws and running into stuff until it broke and then she shreaded it rather quickly. I will see if the vet has a heavier cone and if not I will try the recomendations. She does seem to have a chronic ear infection, will also need to get her checked out again. Just getting worried since it has not healed because of her constant attention to the ear. The wound does keep clean though. Thanks.
    If you search online you will find a variety of cone collars. Soft ones, clear ones, etc.

If something is going on in the ear..they often will keep shaking, scratching etc.

Good luck
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"
    Broad Reach Smarty Pants

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

The lesion is called an ear tip fissure, it develops from constant head shaking and scratching from an ear infection but then becomes it's own problem. The fissure is very tender and the skin becomes infected. The patient probably should be on antibiotics. I have found the best way to heal these is to tape of bandage the ear to the head or use stockinette to make a head bandage to prevent re-traumatizing the ear until the fissure heals which could take 3-4 weeks.