RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Remote Launchers

4K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  tzappia 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anybody could give some input on what launcher is the best for an individual training. I was looking at the gunners up or the zinger winger. I will be buying 2 plus the electronics and wanted to make sure that I got something of good quality. My training direction will be for hunting ducks mostly so I don't know if that makes a difference. Any suggestions would be great and thanks in advance for your time.

Jesse

#3 ·
I would go with 2 wingers OR 1 winger and 1 box lanuncher. The box is a nice addition for those doing walk ups or shorter marks.
Zinger or GU you wont go wrong.

#4 ·
I would go with two wingers ... which I think based on your post is where you are headed. The question of Zinger or GU is a little like the Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge comparison. You will find people who swear at and swear by both. I have 4 Zingers that I have been very satisified with but the oldest is only a couple years old. Have not used GU wingers. Have used both TT and Dogtra electronics. Both work as advertised. Could not tell a lot of difference as far as range of transmitter. Both can be frustrating at times. You do have the option of a beep or a duck call sound with Dogtra while the TT only has a beep.

#7 · (Edited)
The duck call vs. a beep is not a factor. It is just a sound to get young dogs to look in the right direction. After a while sound will not be needed or used.
I like the zinger winger but many of my friends have gunners up. The only real difference I have noticed is that it takes two hands to hook the basket to the trigger on the gu vs. one hand for the zinger winger. Not a big deal for most people.

#14 · (Edited)
The duck call vs. a beep is not a factor. It is just a sound to get young dogs to look in the right direction. After a while sound will not be needed or used.
I like the zinger winger but many of my friends have gunners up. The only real difference I have noticed is that it takes two hands to hook the basket to the trigger on the gu vs. one hand for the zinger winger. Not a big deal for most people.
I agree 100% and will add that the GU has plastic pulleys that chip. I've got a Zinger Trialer and a Mini-z, worth every penny!!!

#9 ·
I've got 2 GU wingers, working great, no problems. I agree, it's like Ford vs. Chevy, they both work great. I would go with 2 full-size wingers first, and add a box winger later for walk-ups and breaking birds. You can hide a full-size winger in brush or behind a tree to get the same effect early on.

I have TT electronics, which in fact DO have a quack. My only complaint is that one stopped working a week after the warranty went out, and it cost me $75 to fix. I know people that like Dogtra better, but my experience with TT has been good thus far. The remote is easy to operate while still holding a healing stick.

#10 ·
Found this thread on search feature and thought I would post my ? On this thread instead of starting a new one. I have been wanting and needing a launcher for a long time but haven't had the money. I have the money now and have narrowed my choices to gunners up "son of a gun" or "zinger winger ll" or "zinger winger uplander" and dogtra electronics. I can only get one right now but hope to add a second in the fall. I am doing upland training as well as waterfowl. So I thought about the uplander box style launcher as a start as it is the cheapest of my choices and the add one of the bigger launchers later. Do any of you have an uplander and would it work by itself for a while or should I just go to the next one up in price The sog or zinger winger ll Witch are only $50 more. So Any info on any of these would be appreciated thanks Jeremy

#11 ·
I really like the gunners up SOG, they are easy to carry in the field and fit in my box, bought 2 used and put new rubbers and work great? I have tt electronics with no problems after about a year! Really like them for what it's worth!

Chris

#12 ·
I have a SOG and a Sure Flyte box launcher with Dogtra releases (and 3 Bumper Boy 4-shooters). If I set the box on a mound or hill it gives a good throw with a small duck. Of course, I can also use the box for upland training, but you could use an SOG for that, too, just harder to hide.

The dogs love the dogtra quack... (but a beep would probably do.) Zinger, GU, Dogtra, TT. It's all good ... just expensive.

#13 ·
I would go with the zw 2. The throws on gu sog are not as far as the zw. The size of the wingers are the same but the zw throws as far as the full size gu. I have both and recommend zw to everyone.

Russell

#15 ·
I have GU wingers. I think the Zinger throws slightly farther, but the GU's release system is much safer (IMO). This could become a factor if you have kids, or those unfamiliar with wingers, helpingyou train.
I have Dogtra electronics because of the duck call. It comes in handy when I'm training for AKC. You don't need any sound for HRC training.

#16 ·
I have both GU and ZW and the ZW throws a better bird. Don't know why this is but the ZW throws a good mark...

#17 ·
My results have been the zw2 throws about twice as far as the sog. Only slightly further than the original but it is a better throw.

Russell

#18 ·
Have you thought about a Thunder 500, 5-shot launcher. You can place your birds on the ground where the bumpers will land. You will be able to train multiple dogs or shoot multiple shots to: drive the dog to the mark or put a dog back on line, etc. They are expensive, but well worth the cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.