The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Field Trials and Survival, Another Perspective

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    160

    Default Field Trials and Survival, Another Perspective

    Trials yesterday, today & tomorrow. Since the beginning of trials in 1931 "change"
    has been the "order of the day". Clubs have come and gone; participants and their
    presence reflect a "revolving door", "an ordinary day's shoot" has been castigated
    and relagated to a contest of "excessive ingenuity."

    The 'flip side': clubs that are well managed, clubs that invest wisely and prudently
    in land and develop permanent assets, that are suppoprted by dedicated enthusiastic
    individuals will continue into perpetuity and will remain the core foundation of the
    game.

    The spirit, dedication and legacy of such gatekeepers as Mr. Daniel Pomeroy, J. Gould
    Remick, Bun Genty, T.W. Merritt, James Lamb Free, John M. Olin, Dr. George Gardner,
    John Frazier, Byron Grunewald, A. A. Jones, August Belmont, W.W. Holes to name
    just a few, unfortumately unknown to most of today's field trialers, will provoke the
    continued existence of the sport.

    As Charlie Morgan said in 1964 when dictating his wonderful book to D.L. Walters -
    "we have gone through various cycles, fads possibly when different phases of
    dog work was emphasized ... competition has become much tougher ... we have more
    good dogs, better training and more fine handlers."

    Charlie said that in 1964. Let's count on it being said in 2042 and beyond.

    William D. Connor
    Last edited by canuckkiller; 06-05-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: typo

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Victoria, British Coliumbia
    Posts
    385

    Default

    William D. Connor of Colorado to my recollection must be pretty old by now. I hope he is still with us?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    698

    Default

    Thanks, Bill!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Green Mountain, Co
    Posts
    2,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by canuck killer View Post
    ...The 'flip side': clubs that are well managed, clubs that invest wisely and prudently
    in land and develop permanent assets,
    that are supported by dedicated enthusiastic
    individuals will continue into perpetuity and will remain the core foundation of the
    game....
    Charlie said that in 1964. Let's count on it being said in 2042 and beyond.
    William D. Connor
    I don't think it can be said today. I don't have any idea how many clubs have permanent assets (own their land and water), but the number must be very small. None in Colorado do and it isn't likely to happen. To my knowledge the same applies to New Mexico and Wyoming.
    What its prominence suggest, and what all science confirms is that the dog is a creature of the nose- A. Horowitz.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    689

    Default

    True for NM, you're right. The Montana RC does have land.
    Chuck

  6. #6
    Senior Member John Robinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bigfork, Montana
    Posts
    3,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dr_dog_guy View Post
    True for NM, you're right. The Montana RC does have land.
    As does the Treasure State Club near Butte, but the more typical approach is to utilize private land owned by pro and amateur trainers.

    John

  7. #7
    Senior Member junbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    La Crosse WI
    Posts
    509

    Default

    Many clubs in Wisconsin and Minnesota own their own land and have clubhouses. There are at least 10 of these clubs. Thanks Mr. Bill for all the work you have done for the field trial community. Now get that book finished you are writing. It will be a classic! Bill was a member of the Madison Retriever Club that now owns 4 distinct pieces of land. It took leadership from club members to make that investment in land and take out loans that they had to pay back. But it was done. Too many clubs had free access to land that they lost and were not looking for the future of the sport.

    Jack
    It was impossible, so it took a little longer to accomplish.

  8. #8
    Senior Member FOM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Falcon, CO
    Posts
    9,090

    Default

    PPRC has a land fund, it's not much and the club will probably never have land before I pass away, maybe, maybe some day the club will own land? But my guess at the rate of active membership growth of the club, I doubt the club itself will survive...
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

    Proudly Owned By:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    4,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by canuckkiller View Post
    Trials yesterday, today & tomorrow. Since the beginning of trials in 1931 "change"
    has been the "order of the day". Clubs have come and gone; participants and their
    presence reflect a "revolving door", "an ordinary day's shoot" has been castigated
    and relagated to a contest of "excessive ingenuity."

    The 'flip side': clubs that are well managed, clubs that invest wisely and prudently
    in land and develop permanent assets, that are suppoprted by dedicated enthusiastic
    individuals will continue into perpetuity and will remain the core foundation of the
    game.

    The spirit, dedication and legacy of such gatekeepers as Mr. Daniel Pomeroy, J. Gould
    Remick, Bun Genty, T.W. Merritt, James Lamb Free, John M. Olin, Dr. George Gardner,
    John Frazier, Byron Grunewald, A. A. Jones, August Belmont, W.W. Holes to name
    just a few, unfortumately unknown to most of today's field trialers, will provoke the
    continued existence of the sport.

    As Charlie Morgan said in 1964 when dictating his wonderful book to D.L. Walters -
    "we have gone through various cycles, fads possibly when different phases of
    dog work was emphasized ... competition has become much tougher ... we have more
    good dogs, better training and more fine handlers."

    Charlie said that in 1964. Let's count on it being said in 2042 and beyond.

    William D. Connor
    What you say is correct for those forward thinking clubs which are few but exist. What I don't see is that many of the clubs following that pattern. I think we could go through the NC's of the past & find that probably more than 50% of them were started by someone who by today's standards would be considered a novice, I believe those to be the people who push the sport.


    Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    As does the Treasure State Club near Butte, but the more typical approach is to utilize private land owned by pro and amateur trainers. John
    I was there when that all transpired - Bob Sparks was a forward looking guy who was a sportsman 1st but also a winner . The purchase was not without it's detractors who went on to be the most zealous of the caretakers of the grounds. In my opinion the TS club is an example of the correct things being done to maintain a diverse membership. Did you know at one time it was the Helena Retriever Club & the name change was not without a little disagreement . TS is the proper name for a club whose members come from the geographical area they do. I still have a HRC club pin with Black Panther on it - love those pins that show the dogs.

    Quote Originally Posted by junbe View Post
    Many clubs in Wisconsin and Minnesota own their own land and have clubhouses. There are at least 10 of these clubs. Thanks Mr. Bill for all the work you have done for the field trial community. Now get that book finished you are writing. It will be a classic! Bill was a member of the Madison Retriever Club that now owns 4 distinct pieces of land. It took leadership from club members to make that investment in land and take out loans that they had to pay back. But it was done. Too many clubs had free access to land that they lost and were not looking for the future of the sport. Jack
    In WA we have a designation called Open Space that lowers the taxes - I would think WI would have that also - but it is not useful to the local clubs as they depend on the generosity of others & the benevolence of the F & W folks to get grounds or rent them from some who have developed them. With the large number of HT folks there are just not enough quality grounds to go around but getting people to step forward to improve that situation is just not in the cards. The roof only leaks when it rains so no need to fix a roof in dry weather .
    __________________________

    Marvin S

    Everyone's friend is No One's friend

    Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

  10. #10
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,755

    Default

    All the threads about "old times" etc... Had me stumbling around and I found this one from Bill Connor. Good insight about the way the game had changed and how much better the dogs were....in 1964
    Bill Davis

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •