The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Work Ethic Issue

Default Work Ethic Issue

For years I have heard that the wellfare system was the reason for the lack of work ethic. Clearly a family that does not work does not instill good working habits in their children. Having said this, I find everyday that the folks I hire do not know how to wiork because they have been entitled buy their parents.

I have two open positions at my business and I bank several companies that are hiring but can't find qualified help.

well maybe your qualification requirements are too stringent and those that can pass those feel that they can make more elsewhere

I was told once when I interviewed for an asst mgr position that I was over qualified and would never accept such a low starting salary, to which I replied "...when you are unemployed, there is no such thing..."

so is it that you cant find a candidate or that no one will accept the position for the salary offered
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by sambo View Post
    For years I have heard that the wellfare system was the reason for the lack of work ethic. Clearly a family that does not work does not instill good working habits in their children. Having said this, I find everyday that the folks I hire do not know how to wiork because they have been entitled buy their parents.

I have two open positions at my business and I bank several companies that are hiring but can't find qualified help.
    Why don't you hire people from career welfare families then??

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Not being able to find good help is ages old -- no work ethic, lack of education, just plain stupid with no desire to learn, and not having pride in your work seems to go hand in hand. We can blame the government for its entitlement programs with the end result being generations of takers, not givers. They are a big chunk of the unemployable. We can blame the teachers and the school system. We can blame the parents for not providing good examples and not instilling these values into their children. We can blame the parents who entitled their kids (i.e. spoiled them rotten) without requiring them to do something to earn the money to obtain the material items they demanded.

There are a lot of "parents" who should have never been parents because they do no parenting. Our society is seeing the results.

What is frustrating now is the fact that statistically in this country there are more irresponsible takers who feel they are entitled to be taken care of by "the government" than there are taxpayers who are providing "the government" with their money. They expect those who contribute to our society -- the hardworking taxpayers -- to support them without any effort on their part. They drop out of school, they collect their welfare checks. As long as the welfare checks and the food stamps keep coming, they don't want to be employed because it means w-o-r-k.

Combine this attitude with drug use is a good reason why employers can't find good workers.

About 21 years ago my husband had a business. Union workers/Union shop. He could not fire them for thievery, he could not fire them for drug use, he could not fire them because they were incompetent, late or didn't show up for work. About the only way he could get rid of them was to have no work for them to do. He was glad the day he sold as an owner. He got back into the union and went to work as a Union employee for a different firm. He was happy as a one-man manager with no employees working under him. Those were his terms for taking the job -- I'll run the department, but the department is me." He was a one-man department for 5 years; the company hated to see him retire. He retired 15 years ago. It was not as bad then as it probably is now.

Helen

I concured that it was part of the problem.

The job pays $9 per hour. Nothing difficult about it except we expect them to work. We get the applications of the ones wanting to be managers too. My point being in this age of cell phones, computers and video games and parents that pay a mexican man to mow the grass and a maid to clean up behhind them, the children of this country don't learn how to work.

In other words, we as parents are the same as the government, giving them everything without conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Why don't you hire people from career welfare families then??RK
    Employers have to hire the best qualified people for the jobs they need to fill. I am not sure that "people from career welfare families" have the training, job skills, or work ethic.
    Helen

Helen said it all and yes it is worse now. I don't have to fire mine; they quit after they figure out it is work. My point is the problem runs much deeper.

We use 3rd world countries to make everything for us, because our people are too good to work for a living.

Maybe we take all the so called intiteledments away and give them to the people that really need them. The other group of lazy a$$es would grab your job in a heart beat

This is worthy of a discussion but you do remember one of your earlier posts where you commiserated about your having gone to the best schools only to end up ???. It sounds by that post that you also felt somewhat entitled I believe that was about the time UB christened you the IHOP kid .

I have a much different theory dealing with poor management, 2 income households, & a general lack of commitment by governmental agencies tasked with those responsibilities for which they took the money & gave little in return.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

I concured that it was part of the problem.

The job pays $9 per hour. Nothing difficult about it except we expect them to work. We get the applications of the ones wanting to be managers too. My point being in this age of cell phones, computers and video games and parents that pay a mexican man to mow the grass and a maid to clean up behhind them, the children of this country don't learn how to work.

In other words, we as parents are the same as the government, giving them everything without conditions.
    The other issue is many people think 9 an hour isn't good enough. I know of a lot of people who do not know why they cannot get hired when the salary they are asking for is way beyond their skillset, or beyond the job they are applying for.

here is a good example. I left a job for a better job, when leaving the first job I had a friend who was looking for something new. All he had to do was show up and the job was his, he showed up aced the interview and then they asked about pay, I knew what he made elsewhere, i knew what i made at this job, i am far more qualified, and he asked for 20k more than i was making there. Needless to say he did not get the job. This is the problem, people do not understand that not everyone gets to be a millionaire, i tell people all the time that not everyone gets to be a Rocket Scientist when we talk about everyones need for a college degree.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~