The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rowdy (by Pirate) Switching to Hillman

This an old video that has resurfaced, taken 6-25, the day before my back surgery. Rowdy has grown a lot and his legs are more stocky now. LOL!
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Thank you for the video. How old was your pup when this was filmed? I have a pup that is 66 days old and was thinking of starting this program in another three weeks.

Wayne, I thought you mentioned that you switched from Hillman back to Lardy due to some "hiccup" somewhere along the lines?

Rowdy was born 3/30 and this was 6/25, so not quite three months. I did switch to Lardy after a bit. I was having a hard time getting Rowdy to go while doing the steady drill that Hillman does. Putting dog in sit position and then walking out and throwing the bumper out from you at an angle back.

So, I went to the more traditional approach to steadying Rowdy. But to build his drive I had a birdboy (wife) throw and let him go while the bumper was in the air.

With all the programs you have to read the dog an adjust. Hillmans method of teaching sit worked great for Rowdy and I think has lead to his remarkely (sp?) calm attitude at the line.
    Wayne Nutt

It looks like you and your puppy are "having fun" and that is excatly what the Hillmann method is all about.
    Have fun - but teach at the same time.
    Good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    Rowdy was born 3/30 and this was 6/25, so not quite three months. I did switch to Lardy after a bit. I was having a hard time getting Rowdy to go while doing the steady drill that Hillman does. Putting dog in sit position and then walking out and throwing the bumper out from you at an angle back.

So, I went to the more traditional approach to steadying Rowdy. But to build his drive I had a birdboy (wife) throw and let him go while the bumper was in the air.

With all the programs you have to read the dog an adjust. Hillmans method of teaching sit worked great for Rowdy and I think has lead to his remarkely (sp?) calm attitude at the line.

Boy is that true! Each dog is different, but I would sell my soul to have had the chance to start my first dog with the Hillman method. I did get to use it with my now 2 year old, and what a difference. I actually ran him in Junior with no pressure to hold him, ever. (I kept my hand on the collar because its stupid not to.) When he ran his only derbies, he was steady as a rock though fired up as all heck. But he is a different dog than the first, much more interested in pleasing me and not so danged independent. So maybe its the dog, maybe its the method, but I think it would have been nice to know a few years back!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post

Thanks Wayne.

Some of you may have noticed I was using a paint roller for a dummy. Rowdy was so small at first that the regular dummies were too heavy. I tried to order some of the foam dummies, like Hillman uses, from gundogsuppy but they were backordered. So I used small paint rollers.

Now he is carrying large mallards with ease.
    Wayne Nutt