RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Rowdy (by Pirate) Switching to Hillman

6K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Wayne Nutt 
#1 ·
Rowdy and I are switching to Hillman.

See less See more
#2 ·
Why? Have you finished with Mertens and are moving on to Hillmann, or are you not satisfied with what you're getting from Mertens? You did Hillmann with Hank, if I recall correctly?

#3 ·
I got what I wanted out of Mertens and Rowdy is now big/advanced enough to do Hillman. Hank was done in a more traditional manner rather than Hillman. My son did the beginning/puppy training with Hank.

I think Mertens is a fine program.

#4 ·
Wayne, little Rowdy sure looks great! Glad to see he recovered from his sting/bite. I too went from Mertens to Hillmann; I think you'll find it is an easy step, and Rowdy sure looks like he's got it all going!

Thanks as always for the video. Every time I watch one, I learn something...or at least remember something!

#9 ·
Wayne, I think you have out done yourself on this one. Really good video, Rowdy looks great! Perfect puppy training that anyone with a young one should watch.

Good lil guy you have and Rowdy is very lucky to have you as his trainer. Seriously the best video all week and made my day! Thanks for all the videos of Hank and Rowdy.

Dawn

#10 ·
.......and I thought I had chicken legs! ;) :D

#11 ·
This an old video that has resurfaced, taken 6-25, the day before my back surgery. Rowdy has grown a lot and his legs are more stocky now. LOL!

#14 ·
Rowdy was born 3/30 and this was 6/25, so not quite three months. I did switch to Lardy after a bit. I was having a hard time getting Rowdy to go while doing the steady drill that Hillman does. Putting dog in sit position and then walking out and throwing the bumper out from you at an angle back.

So, I went to the more traditional approach to steadying Rowdy. But to build his drive I had a birdboy (wife) throw and let him go while the bumper was in the air.

With all the programs you have to read the dog an adjust. Hillmans method of teaching sit worked great for Rowdy and I think has lead to his remarkely (sp?) calm attitude at the line.

#16 ·
Rowdy was born 3/30 and this was 6/25, so not quite three months. I did switch to Lardy after a bit. I was having a hard time getting Rowdy to go while doing the steady drill that Hillman does. Putting dog in sit position and then walking out and throwing the bumper out from you at an angle back.

So, I went to the more traditional approach to steadying Rowdy. But to build his drive I had a birdboy (wife) throw and let him go while the bumper was in the air.

With all the programs you have to read the dog an adjust. Hillmans method of teaching sit worked great for Rowdy and I think has lead to his remarkely (sp?) calm attitude at the line.

Boy is that true! Each dog is different, but I would sell my soul to have had the chance to start my first dog with the Hillman method. I did get to use it with my now 2 year old, and what a difference. I actually ran him in Junior with no pressure to hold him, ever. (I kept my hand on the collar because its stupid not to.) When he ran his only derbies, he was steady as a rock though fired up as all heck. But he is a different dog than the first, much more interested in pleasing me and not so danged independent. So maybe its the dog, maybe its the method, but I think it would have been nice to know a few years back!

#18 ·
Some of you may have noticed I was using a paint roller for a dummy. Rowdy was so small at first that the regular dummies were too heavy. I tried to order some of the foam dummies, like Hillman uses, from gundogsuppy but they were backordered. So I used small paint rollers.

Now he is carrying large mallards with ease.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.