The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Proven Chessie Studs?

Maybe call Terry Brousseau 2254131258

T.Mac thank you. I didn't have the guts to tell him. I hope he appreciates your honesty with him. T.Mac my hats off to you.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

T. Mac said it well...listen to his advice.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Tmac- thanks for your very informative post. I already have the DM test and this coming week it will be getting done along with eic, hips, and elbows. I have seen a couple clear dogs that I wouldnt mind doing a breeding with and there is a very impressive clear 500pt+ male located very close. Obviosly I havent put a price on pups yet due to Kodas testing isnt done and I havent comitted to any particular stud. That being said I have no intentions of getting rich off a litter. What it really boils down to is right now everything is riding on the outcome off her DM test. Thank you for the advice. Thats why this thread is here.
    Last edited by Matt Duncan; 06-30-2012 at 09:00 PM.

T.Mac, although I agree with 99% of your input on this thread, I would disagree with your statement "The most important thing for you right now is to get her DM status checked." Are you saying DM now trumps eyes and hips? If so, our narrow gene pool just got a whole lot narrower on a condition that testing still cannot prove a conclusive outcome. Just my opinion, as there are many on this topic. PM me if you'd like.
    "Perfection is the enemy of good enough" Vince Stone
    GRHRCH UH Slammers Bullet From Nowhere MH**

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Symons View Post
    T.Mac, although I agree with 99% of your input on this thread, I would disagree with your statement "The most important thing for you right now is to get her DM status checked." Are you saying DM now trumps eyes and hips? If so, our narrow gene pool just got a whole lot narrower on a condition that testing still cannot prove a conclusive outcome. Just my opinion, as there are many on this topic. PM me if you'd like.
    I think you're taking T Macs post a little out of context. I read it as him assuming the eyes, hips and lets not forget elbows were done all ready. Which are your usual standard tests that everyone needs to do before breeding. Though I do see not as many chessie folks get their dogs elbows done as the lab people do. Which I think is a mistake.

Another good post T Mac.

Matt why not give Carol Anderson a call? She can help you out and knows your dogs pedigree.

Angie

If Ontario is not to far. Once all tests are done Larry wood from Windsor ( Canadian side by Detroit) or Henry goeree ( skeetercreek ) chessies could likely help you out. I know larrys dog get down your way running HRC once in awhile. Guts down that way will know him/ his dogs. Wayne dibbley ran them.

Not really my breed but names that pop-up time after time in the stats
    FC Colonial Outer Banks Winchester MH (Chester)
    Atlas goes to War Larry Sarek
    Fireweed in ID
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH-I HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Angie, sorry I read it differently. I try not to "assume" too much, but yes, I would think the hips and eyes were done!! The majority of the "context" in that post was about DM.
    "Perfection is the enemy of good enough" Vince Stone
    GRHRCH UH Slammers Bullet From Nowhere MH**

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Symons View Post
    Angie, sorry I read it differently. I try not to "assume" too much, but yes, I would think the hips and eyes were done!! The majority of the "context" in that post was about DM.
    That is sort of how I read it as well. The DM test should be used in consideration although, should not be an end all for a breeding. If one stives to breed a clear x clear on everything we'll not have a single decent Chessie left. Our DM affected and carrier dogs have brought WAY too much to the table to be written off so easily. Weighing the merits and OVERALL quality of what the dog is passing along is of upmost importance. Generally speaking, I'd be willing to put a bet down that says that the overwhelming majority of our BEST field dogs are at minimum DM carriers. Are there exceptions? yes. Are there a lot of exceptions? no.

Too many breeders are using the DM status now as a scare tactic to unknowing buyers who don't fully understand neither the testing or, the disease. I've heard a breeder telling a person they shouldn't buy puppies who "have DM" and the only way to be safe is to buy a puppy from parents who are both DM Clear. People are using "half truths" because they are breeding two DM Clear dogs and not giving the new potential owners a decent understanding of how DM can be passed along and the differences between affected / carrier / clear........ This kind of misinformation is a detriment to the breed and giving new Chesapeake owners a start on the wrong foot.

With that being said, should someone be breeding a DM affected x DM affected? HELL NO>