The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Old Age Assistance

Default Old Age Assistance

Many years ago the voters in Oklahoma passed an Old Age Assistance program. This was during the time that FDR was president of the USA. The stated program was that at a certain age each old person would get a small check from the state of Oklahoma if they resided in OK. It was probably around $30.00 each month but I don't remember for sure. There were no stipulations as to income etc. at the time that it was written, voted on and passed. It changed over time. At one point a caseworker was assigned to each old age pensioner. One duty of the case worker was to see how much food had been canned by the person
    recieving the check. Money was then deducted from the age assistance check for each jar of food canned by that person.
    Penny wise and pound foolish the state was paying a caseworker much more than they saved by doing this.
    I have forgotten if money was deducted for anything else but I do remember that the caseworker was a nosey so-and-so in most cases. I see this kind of government control raising it's ugly head again under the current people in office. Both state and local are getting the itch to control every part of our lives.

Vote them out PDQ !
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Real old-age assistance ... just saw an article that said 70,000 women got carry permits in FL in May 2012 alone! Grandma's now packin'!

Debbie Torrence is a grandma, seamstress, and a gun owner.

"Once I learned how to shoot my gun, I got over my fear of a gun," she told Fox 13 News.
    She's part of a growing number of women who are fired up about owning a gun.

"All types of women. I mean, even your grandmothers," she laughed
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Default Very good assitance

I like that idea.

I hunted up some info via the OK historical society after I posted this but of course it did not tell the whole story as I remember parts of the story.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

"She's part of a growing number of women who are fired up about owning a gun."

Now there's something to get excited about...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    "She's part of a growing number of women who are fired up about owning a gun."

Now there's something to get excited about...
    You have a reason to be afraid of law abiding women protecting themselves?
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    You have a reason to be afraid of law abiding women protecting themselves?

I have owned and hunted with guns all my life. But "fired up about owning a gun" sounds a little odd...

I imagine this woman was "fired up" about it too.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

I imagine she was so threatened by her grandson, she shot him not once, but 8 times. Nearly emptied a 9mm into him...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I have owned and hunted with guns all my life. But "fired up about owning a gun" sounds a little odd...

I imagine this woman was "fired up" about it too.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

I imagine she was so threatened by her grandson, she shot him not once, but 8 times. Nearly emptied a 9mm into him...

He was (according to police) a punk, he had synthetic drugs in his system. She had called cops before and they would (or could not) take him away. She was afraid for her life. Sounds to me like she did what she had to do. The only thing she didn't do was get a restraining order which would not be worth the paper it was written on.

As long as you don't go around attacking these little ladies you should be safe Buzz.
    Bill Davis