The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No more pate in California

Default No more pate in California

Animal activists have had their way in California. Since it's inhumane to force feed the birds to make the pate de foie gras ... it will no longer be available in California.

..French news organizations have sent journalists to California,
    wanting their own reporters on the ground as an entire state rejects an
    ingredient synonymous with fine French cuisine. Daguin will spend the
    ensuing weeks watching her West Coast customers file lawsuits, lobby
    legislators and fight to put foie gras back on the menu. The whole
    ordeal may end way it did in Chicago.

"We don't know for sure because this law is very vague," she said, "but
    we've read like everybody else that the district attorneys of San
    Francisco and Los Angeles are saying it's not really enforceable."
    NAIA News
    Guess they will work their way up the food chain ... chicken, pork, beef. They probably don't like hunting very much either.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

I don't think CA ( I was born and raised there) has a history of what might be considered a logical approach to it's laws. They have what could only be considered feel good legislation. For instance you can hunt predators with dog's ( dog's tend to get killed in the process). Even the AWB doesn't mean you can't get one. You get a modified one that. Makes a legislator feel good to know they " did something with those dangerous black rifles".

As someone that recently spent two weeks in France on holiday eating, among other things, foie gras, I hope common sense prevails and the animal rights activists are shot down (you can take that how ever you want). Foie gras is truly a delectable dish.
    Kevin Entwistle

WGD (Worlds Greatest Dog) Cinci Redstocking "Loki", born: Jan. 22, 1999, RIP November 13, 2011
    "Lars" Chilian with the Rainmaker, born: Feb. 2, 2010

"That which you manifest is before you" (The Art of Racing in the Rain)

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Gerri, you should change the name of your post. Foie gras is pate, pate isn't necessarily Foie gras.
    Kevin Entwistle

WGD (Worlds Greatest Dog) Cinci Redstocking "Loki", born: Jan. 22, 1999, RIP November 13, 2011
    "Lars" Chilian with the Rainmaker, born: Feb. 2, 2010

"That which you manifest is before you" (The Art of Racing in the Rain)

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

the restaurant I work at will soon stop serving Foie Gras, mainly because it is getting costly to find the product, many other finer dining establishments and top name chefs are not featuring it on their menus,probably more as a guard against the tree hugger PETA backlash they might receive

it sure is good with a fine pinot noir, or on top of a juicy steak with mushrooms followed by a dose of Lipitor,duck pate is also good stuff when served on a Ritz
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Well, lets hope they don't go after Hogshead Cheese! My mornings just wouldn't be the same without melting down a slab of Hogshead in a hot bowl of grits.
    The Libertarian Party believes that all persons are entitled to keep the fruits of their labor. A call for the repeal of the income tax, abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. We support the passage of a "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the U.S. Constitution, provided that the budget is balanced exclusively by cutting expenditures, and not by raising taxes. LP.org

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Well, lets hope they don't go after Hogshead Cheese! My mornings just wouldn't be the same without melting down a slab of Hogshead in a hot bowl of grits.
    Can you say Fido's ass?
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    We butchered our own livestock & nothing was wasted - I never acquired a taste for fried brains, tongue, heart nor head cheese (a rendition of what was in the hog's head, including a generous application of lard) but we had some of the greatest cracklings one would want as we rendered our own lard. My job as a little guy was to gather all the odd's & ends of wood for the fire under the rendering kettle. Wasn't what you would store for a fireplace but worked in this scenario . My grandpa loved the stuff & along with the beer (some of his own brewing) & a White Owl cigar once a week lived to the ripe old age of 99+. I can still smell those cigars . $.05 in those days!!!!!!!

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

And just in case there may be a few of you left who don't think we've gone completely bat sh!t crazy out here.
    http://www.sacbee.com/2012/07/02/460...d-allow-a.html

T. Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    We butchered our own livestock & nothing was wasted - I never acquired a taste for fried brains, tongue, heart nor head cheese (a rendition of what was in the hog's head, including a generous application of lard) but we had some of the greatest cracklings one would want as we rendered our own lard. My job as a little guy was to gather all the odd's & ends of wood for the fire under the rendering kettle. Wasn't what you would store for a fireplace but worked in this scenario . My grandpa loved the stuff & along with the beer (some of his own brewing) & a White Owl cigar once a week lived to the ripe old age of 99+. I can still smell those cigars . $.05 in those days!!!!!!!
    I wasn't much for 'head cheese' either, Marvin. But after a long afternoon in sub-zero weather chasing rabbits with my .22, going into the granery where those slabs wrapped in cheesecloth were hanging, and slicing off a batch to eat with saltines and apple cider, I never recall turning my nose up at it.

My favorite job at butchering time was running the sausage stuffer. We'd make up 3 washtubs full of pork sausage, stuff it in casings, and hang it in the smoker shed. We still enjoy that Ashley N.D. recipe to day...the butchers today call it "fry sausage", and it's every bit as good as I recall in the early 50's.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.