The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gear to start duck hunting/dog training

Budget shotgun new ... Mossberg 500 0r 835. Not the prettiest girls at the ball but go bang when you pull the trigger. Gun shops
    or pawn shops for good used ones. Make sure they can handle steel shot.
    Waders ... wait a couple more paydays and get breathable if you can possibly afford them. You won't be sorry.
    Decoys ... shop the bargain barns at Cabelas, Bass Pro or Mack's for new, Craig's List for used.
    Dog ... look for a retriever club in your area for amateur trainers who'll help you or find a pro and volunteer some time
    throwing birds for him or her.
    Wife ... FLOWERS ... LOTS AND LOTS OF FLOWERS !!!!!

Good Luck !!!!

LaCrosse BrushTuff. Had a pair for 4 years that I put through hell. Never had a leak until I stepped on a sunken T-Post & torn a 4" tear in the boot foot while busting a beaver dam this spring. Will get a second pair before teal season

Quote Originally Posted by baggr View Post
    Budget shotgun new ... Mossberg 500 0r 835. Not the prettiest girls at the ball but go bang when you pull the trigger. Gun shops
    or pawn shops for good used ones. Make sure they can handle steel shot.
    Waders ... wait a couple more paydays and get breathable if you can possibly afford them. You won't be sorry.
    Decoys ... shop the bargain barns at Cabelas, Bass Pro or Mack's for new, Craig's List for used.
    Dog ... look for a retriever club in your area for amateur trainers who'll help you or find a pro and volunteer some time
    throwing birds for him or her.
    Wife ... FLOWERS ... LOTS AND LOTS OF FLOWERS !!!!!

Good Luck !!!!

That is true wisdom, haha.

My wife likes to duck hunt more than I do...That meant buying 2 of everything.
    Waders & parka-please don't skimp on these. You will not like being wet.
    Cabelas was the best deal at the time for us.
    Remington 870 Express- not pretty but goes bang every time. A real workhorse shot gun.
    Decoys-Craigslist
    Last edited by Dave Farrar; 07-11-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Things you gotta have duck hunting:
    Shotgun: A mossburg or remington 870 can be had fairly cheap. Make sure it has atleast a 3" chamber and a modified choke
    Shells: 3" #2 shot steel for longer shots 3" #4 shot steel for swamp shoots or wood ducks & teal
    Waders: I have a pair of Redhead 3.5mm insulated neoprene waders that are 4 years old and not a leak. I've also got a pair of 5mm lacrosse that are the most comfortable waders you can ever put on. Spend your money on waders because you will get miserable if you get cold.
    Decoys: Find 2 dozen decent looking mallard dekes. Most ducks will decoy to a mallard spread. GreenHead Gear Hot Buy Mallards can be purchased for $25/dozen at Academy
    Duck Call: Your first duck call should be a Haydels DR-85 (~$12. Leave it in your truck/car and blow it wherever you go. You can't kill ducks if you can't call them in. Being in the right spot is the most important part of duck hunting, but calling sure can make or break most hunts. Once you learn your cadences and pressure using a DR-85, get a decent double reed short barrel call.
    That should get you started hunting. There are way more qualified people here to inform you on training your dog. Heck, a bunch could probably tell you more about duck hunting. I'd follow Mike Lardy's Total Retriever program if I was you (see the banners up top for a link to his website).

What I mentioned should be enough to ruin your life because next season you will need more decoys, a nicer gun, a single reed call, a duck boat, a mud motor, blinds... It never ends.. I'm sorry for you, but not really. Get real good at duck hunting then remember the advice I gave you 10-20 years from now and invite me to hunt with you
    Rusty Champion

A Southern Night's Miller Light ~ Miller
    Abbey Creek's Southern Comfort ~ Abbey

God Bless & War Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by liljp1514 View Post
    Things you gotta have duck hunting:
    Shotgun: A mossburg or remington 870 can be had fairly cheap. Make sure it has atleast a 3" chamber and a modified choke
    Shells: 3" #2 shot steel for longer shots 3" #4 shot steel for swamp shoots or wood ducks & teal
    Waders: I have a pair of Redhead 3.5mm insulated neoprene waders that are 4 years old and not a leak. I've also got a pair of 5mm lacrosse that are the most comfortable waders you can ever put on. Spend your money on waders because you will get miserable if you get cold.
    Decoys: Find 2 dozen decent looking mallard dekes. Most ducks will decoy to a mallard spread. GreenHead Gear Hot Buy Mallards can be purchased for $25/dozen at Academy
    Duck Call: Your first duck call should be a Haydels DR-85 (~$12. Leave it in your truck/car and blow it wherever you go. You can't kill ducks if you can't call them in. Being in the right spot is the most important part of duck hunting, but calling sure can make or break most hunts. Once you learn your cadences and pressure using a DR-85, get a decent double reed short barrel call.
    That should get you started hunting. There are way more qualified people here to inform you on training your dog. Heck, a bunch could probably tell you more about duck hunting. I'd follow Mike Lardy's Total Retriever program if I was you (see the banners up top for a link to his website).

What I mentioned should be enough to ruin your life because next season you will need more decoys, a nicer gun, a single reed call, a duck boat, a mud motor, blinds... It never ends.. I'm sorry for you, but not really. Get real good at duck hunting then remember the advice I gave you 10-20 years from now and invite me to hunt with you

Thank you for all that! I'll be sure to start hunting around for the things you mentioned. I'm two hours from a Bass Pro or Cabela's but I'll have to make a trip out and see what can be had once I have more knowledge under my belt.

Is it bad that I think I should clear my history on my computer lest my wife find out what kind of money we're talking about here? Lol.

Didley , good thinking clear it all.I try to pay cash for ever thing whenever possible and then save my change ,If something is $1.25 I will give $2.00 and then keep the change all year ,you'll be surprised at how fast it adds up and its never really money that you miss.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Waders.....cabelas or macks pw...

Gun rem 870 is a great starter and shouldnt break the bank

Last but not least more funds.......maybe be u can put ur kids to work mowing lawns...or screw it just sell the kids....j/k.

Ive always said ducking hunting can be like a crack habit.......u dont want to stop doing it and u end up just as a broke

Just remember to have fun out there and stay safe

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn White View Post
    Didley , good thinking clear it all.I try to pay cash for ever thing whenever possible and then save my change ,If something is $1.25 I will give $2.00 and then keep the change all year ,you'll be surprised at how fast it adds up and its never really money that you miss.
    This is true. I've been giving all my change to my 4 year-old son for the past couple months. Lol, I don't use a lot of cash and he already has over $15 in his little piggy bank.

Them kids are on their own !we are talking about duck hunting here,get your priority's straight man!!! Have em hit grandmas and grandpas up for their change lol.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "