The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Future Of Energy Is Here

Default The Future Of Energy Is Here

Grand Opening of another Apache CNG Filling Station here in town. If we could only get those auto mfg's to start sending some of those CNG powered vehicles here instead of California.

Many of the corporate delivery fleets have already converted to CNG. Nissan has CNG powered Civics but where are the pick up trucks? Hard to fit a wet dog, decoys and pirogue in a Civic

Got to love that $1.79 per gallon!

Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

Although I like the idea of NG or even better Hydrogen, what it the energy content/gal compared to gasoline?
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

CNG powered Civic get an estimated 32 mpg's. I would guess that a pick up woud be around 22 --25 mpg's.

http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center-article_114/

The purchase price is about $4,000. more but the resale value will be superior to gasoline powered vehicles.
    Last edited by Franco; 07-12-2012 at 02:02 PM.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

So, no more giant propane tank in the bed of the truck?
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    CNG powered Civic get an estimated 32 mpg's. I would guess that a pick up woud be around 22 --25 mpg's.

http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center-article_114/

The purchase price is about $4,000. more but the resale value will be superior to gasoline powered vehicles.
    How do you know this???
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    How do you know this???
    Because the cost regular gasoline is only ever-rising.

Once the demand for NG shoots up, though, it will be a negligible benefit.

The civic is made by honda not nissan. Ford made vehicles for NG for many years, but stopped due to no filling stations. There is a guy I work with that has 3 of them and used to use NG all the time, now he uses gas because there are no stations available here in Northern VA near DC. The vehicles I have seen use both gas and NG the issue is the NG tank takes up most of the trunk, so I would say resale would be lower. The guy did say though when he used NG the oil was always cleaner during a change then with gas, the cylinder scopes I have seen show less wear and grime in a NG motor compared to gasoline.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

Quote Originally Posted by Didley View Post
    Because the cost regular gasoline is only ever-rising.

Once the demand for NG shoots up, though, it will be a negligible benefit.
    That is actually a great point, if Obama has his way, we won't have any gasoline!!!
    Stan b & Elvis

Don't forget thet the NG reserves are massive, easier and cheaper to produce than oil. Once CNG vehicles start hitting the raod in bigger numbers, it will lessen the dependence on gasoline and foreign oil.

HPL, the Civic that I saw look normal enough, same room in the back as the gasoline power ones. I undertand that CNG has been available for some time now but the infastructure just wasn't there. Apache has an aggressive plan to build more CNG Filling Stations around the country. I may have to buy 10 shares of their stock I don't think the pickups will have that huge tank because it would never appeal to the consumer market and that is the market that the mfg's are going after as well as fleet.

The local Honda dealer has a waiting list of customers wanting CNG Civics. When vehicles are in demand, they generally hold a much better resale value. Gasoline has gone down in price at the pump but, that won't last.

Just curious ... was the development of these CNG vehicles market-driven (private sector investment) or govt-subsidized (like electric car and solar panels)?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.