The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 231

Thread: Penn State

  1. #1
    Senior Member LokiMeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Stoughton, WI
    Posts
    613

    Default Penn State

    In light of the report released by Freeh today, I think there needs to be something done at least by the NCAA (the victims will get their day in court with their rightful civil lawsuits). The football program needs to be sharply curtailed by gross limits of scholarships or given the death penalty. The blatant disregard for no one but themselves by Joe Pa, the University President, Athletic Director and others shows that the football program ran the university and wasn't "small part" of a "fine" institution. You say that it isn't fair to the future football players and students and fans? I say yes it is. They will not be subjected to overwhelming reprisals that can be felt if they witness something wrong and cannot report it due to the power of the program.
    Kevin Entwistle

    WGD (Worlds Greatest Dog) Cinci Redstocking "Loki", born: Jan. 22, 1999, RIP November 13, 2011
    "Lars" Chilian with the Rainmaker, born: Feb. 2, 2010


    "That which you manifest is before you" (The Art of Racing in the Rain)

    "Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hubert NC
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LokiMeister View Post
    In light of the report released by Freeh today, I think there needs to be something done at least by the NCAA (the victims will get their day in court with their rightful civil lawsuits). The football program needs to be sharply curtailed by gross limits of scholarships or given the death penalty. The blatant disregard for no one but themselves by Joe Pa, the University President, Athletic Director and others shows that the football program ran the university and wasn't "small part" of a "fine" institution. You say that it isn't fair to the future football players and students and fans? I say yes it is. They will not be subjected to overwhelming reprisals that can be felt if they witness something wrong and cannot report it due to the power of the program.
    You have lost your mind. The guilty will be tried or have already been found guilty. But you want to punish the kids going to that school. That makes a ton of sense. NOT

    Richard

  3. #3
    Senior Member LokiMeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Stoughton, WI
    Posts
    613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Down East Labs 217 View Post
    You have lost your mind. The guilty will be tried or have already been found guilty. But you want to punish the kids going to that school. That makes a ton of sense. NOT

    Richard
    Simple solution: if it matters that much to you, transfer or don't go in the first place. Part of the guilty party is the program itself, how do you punish it?
    Kevin Entwistle

    WGD (Worlds Greatest Dog) Cinci Redstocking "Loki", born: Jan. 22, 1999, RIP November 13, 2011
    "Lars" Chilian with the Rainmaker, born: Feb. 2, 2010


    "That which you manifest is before you" (The Art of Racing in the Rain)

    "Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

  4. #4
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LokiMeister View Post
    Simple solution: if it matters that much to you, transfer or don't go in the first place. Part of the guilty party is the program itself, how do you punish it?

    place a levy on their future football revenue from TV and bowl games...The university has already faced damage to their image,giving the FB program the death penalty will not only hurt the academic side but other sports and even those schools that they play and ultimately the Big Ten...they got Sandusky,if they want to pursue the others involved in neglecting to act appropriately then they can do so but they are better off seeking civil judgements against them,criminal ones will be difficult to prove, even with one report
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

  5. #5
    Senior Member LokiMeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Stoughton, WI
    Posts
    613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    place a levy on their future football revenue from TV and bowl games...The university has already faced damage to their image,giving the FB program the death penalty will not only hurt the academic side but other sports and even those schools that they play and ultimately the Big Ten...they got Sandusky,if they want to pursue the others involved in neglecting to act appropriately then they can do so but they are better off seeking civil judgements against them,criminal ones will be difficult to prove, even with one report
    And the !@#$% will then continue, and you can interpret that how ever you want. Maybe the University needs to be taken down. Don't worry, the Big 10 will be fine. This is just another example of people and government taking advantage of others. When does it stop? I see this as an allegory to the way the country is run. The politicians ONLY care about themselves just like the powers that be at Penn State. The academic side will recover, as I said before, they can transfer to another university.
    Kevin Entwistle

    WGD (Worlds Greatest Dog) Cinci Redstocking "Loki", born: Jan. 22, 1999, RIP November 13, 2011
    "Lars" Chilian with the Rainmaker, born: Feb. 2, 2010


    "That which you manifest is before you" (The Art of Racing in the Rain)

    "Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

  6. #6
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LokiMeister View Post
    And the !@#$% will then continue, and you can interpret that how ever you want. Maybe the University needs to be taken down. Don't worry, the Big 10 will be fine. This is just another example of people and government taking advantage of others. When does it stop? I see this as an allegory to the way the country is run. The politicians ONLY care about themselves just like the powers that be at Penn State. The academic side will recover, as I said before, they can transfer to another university.

    would you like to take down Notre Dame since they are a Catholic school and looked the other way when all the priests were violating their young parishoners..taking down the whole university PUHLEEZZE..so some undergrad business major has to transfer because of something that the athletic dept did wrong...why dont we just void all the degrees by any past PSU grads while we are at it..hold those responsible not the university or its students
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

  7. #7
    Senior Member roseberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    2,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Down East Labs 217 View Post
    You have lost your mind. The guilty will be tried or have already been found guilty. But you want to punish the kids going to that school. That makes a ton of sense. NOT

    Richard
    richard,

    you are correct, some of the guilty will be tried in the future. one of the guilty has already been convicted. however, joe paterno is dead and will never face the justice his actions deserve.

    in my opinion, kevin is correct too. there should be sanctions levied by the ncaa against penn state's athletic programs that have never before been heard of nor concieved(smu included)!

    you may be of the opinion that no recruiting violations occurred. for instance, no players/recruits were paid, no agents were in contact with players before their careers ended, no athletes were given money by boosters, etc. i assert that if i was a head coach anywhere in america and i was recruiting a five star linebacker against penn state, i would feel that covering up this kind of criminal activity gives a recruiting advantage that pales in comparison to paying the recruit's family's rent or buying the star a new camaro.

    if you believe the report, paterno not only did nothing in '98, he exerted influence to not alert authorities in '01 and his recent deposed testimony is now completely contradicted. it appears paterno, the most powerful man in the states university system had the preservation of his recruiting, his program, his iconic legacy and his total wins competition with bobby bowden ahead of everything. the institution was not in control, paterno was. had paterno done the right thing and exposed the(let's call it what it is and not "sexual abuse") terrorizing, sodomizing and raping of young male children in his own locker room, do you think paterno wins in the living room of one more recruit? i say this cover-up is cheating at the highest level ever documented!

    as to punishing the "kids going to that school now", that is the way all ncaa sanctions have always been levied. sanctions never affect say, reggie bush or pete carroll but those that follow. the ncaa's punishment always impacts those that follow. so be it! it is tragic that similarly, paterno himself will not be punished. his family and those that follow will be punished. so be it.
    Last edited by roseberry; 07-12-2012 at 05:44 PM.
    john mccallie

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Pa.
    Posts
    5,317

    Default

    High school and college ports are supposed to be extra curricular activities, but in general, with major college football in particular at the forefront, in all but a few of the big time colleges, they are the tail that wags the dog.

    The NCAA has a vested interest in maintaining the status quo. While this continues nothing will change.'''

    Same old same old regards.

    john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

    "A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

  9. #9
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    richard,

    you are correct, some of the guilty will be tried in the future. one of the guilty has already been convicted. however, joe paterno is dead and will never face the justice his actions deserve.

    in my opinion, kevin is correct too. there should be sanctions levied by the ncaa against penn state's athletic programs that have never before been heard of nor concieved(smu included)!

    you may be of the opinion that no recruiting violations occurred. for instance, no players/recruits were paid, no agents were in contact with players before their careers ended, no athletes were given money by boosters, etc. i assert that if i was a head coach anywhere in america and i was recruiting a five star linebacker against penn state, i would feel that covering up this kind of criminal activity gives a recruiting advantage that pales in comparison to paying the recruit's family's rent or buying the star a new camaro.

    if you believe the report, paterno not only did nothing in '98, he exerted influence to not alert authorities in '01 and his recent deposed testimony is now completely contradicted. it appears paterno, the most powerful man in the states university system had the preservation of his recruiting, his program, his iconic legacy and his total wins competition with bobby bowden ahead of everything. the institution was not in control, paterno was. had paterno done the right thing and exposed the(let's call it what it is and not "sexual abuse") terrorizing, sodomizing and raping of young male children in his own locker room, do you think paterno wins in the living room of one more recruit? i say this cover-up is cheating at the highest level ever documented!

    as to punishing the "kids going to that school now", that is the way all ncaa sanctions have always been levied. sanctions never affect say, reggie bush or pete carroll but those that follow. the ncaa's punishment always impacts those that follow. so be it! it is tragic that similarly, paterno himself will not be punished. his family and those that follow will be punished. so be it.

    Well said!

    I was listening to Penn St Alum Mike Compt who does monrings at Atlanta's WGST Radio via an interview with Bobby Hebert on WWL Radio, New Orleans on the way home. Several Big 10 schools have called for expelling Penn St from the Big 10 forever and that it will happen.

    One has to feel bad for the fans and students that this situation, through no fault of their own has devastated such a proud Nittany Lion community.

    Lets just hope that children that were raped have successfully dealth with this trauma and have some kind of peace in their lives!
    Last edited by Franco; 07-12-2012 at 06:39 PM.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Gerry Clinchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,915

    Default

    One has to feel bad for the fans and students that this situation, through no fault of their own has devastated such a proud Nittany Lion community.
    Yes, one does have to feel bad for the fans and students who took such pride in Penn State ... their loyalty was betrayed by those who allowed this horror to take place.

    Joe P did a lot of good for many of his players and fund-raising for the school, it is very sad that he will now be remembered for when he failed to do the right thing for these young boys. Cannot imagine the pain to his family. Imagine how it would feel if it had been your father (or husband, brother or uncle) that had remained silent?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

    ​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •