The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State

Quote Originally Posted by LokiMeister View Post
    Yes, you mentioned that before. Are those restrictions still in place?
    No. Lasted 4 years I think.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

That would be incorrect:

The death penalty is the popular term for the National Collegiate Athletic Association's power to ban a school from competing in a sport for at least one year. It is the harshest penalty that an NCAA member school can receive.

It has been implemented only five times:

The University of Kentucky basketball program for the 1952–53 season.[1]
    The basketball program at the University of Southwestern Louisiana (now the University of Louisiana at Lafayette) for the 1973–74 and 1974–75 seasons.
    The Southern Methodist University football program for the 1987 and 1988 seasons.
    The Division II men's soccer program at Morehouse College for the 2004 and 2005 seasons.
    The Division III men's tennis program at MacMurray College for the 2005–06 and 2006–07 seasons
    A small corection is in order. The very first Death Penalty issued by the NCAA was the UL(then USL) situation 1973-75. The one that you have listed before it was a self-imposed Death penalties. UL at that time was found guilty of 125 NCAA violations ranging from buying a recruit a sandwich to providing a student with a car. Violations that today would only be a slap on the wrist.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    A small corection is in order. The very first Death Penalty issued by the NCAA was the UL(then USL) situation 1973-75. The one that you have listed before it was a self-imposed Death penalties. UL at that time was found guilty of 125 NCAA violations ranging from buying a recruit a sandwich to providing a student with a car. Violations that today would only be a slap on the wrist.
    Oh, there is no doubt about it. SMU was as guilty as you could get. And not very smart about it either.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    *Had Paterno had knowledge of an assistant who robbed a bank should the team be penalized? .
    if paterno obtained knowledge of a robbery, tried to ignore it, then later obtained knowledge of another robbery and influenced others not to report it, hid the stolen money from robbery in the penn state locker room, allowed the robber to keep an office, his all access pass and keys to the penn state football facilities and then allowed that robber to dangle the carrot of his office, influence and access to lure unsuspecting bankers into the facility to be robbed over and over and over for 15 years..............uh yeah, i think the ncaa would be concerned and find a way to use its "lack of institutional control" jusirdiction! why because it's money!

if an assistant football coach takes a recruit and his family to lunch during an on campus visit and accidentally picks up the tab for recruit's little sister's lunch(not allowed) in addition to mom's and dad's(allowed), the ncaa can cite an infraction. i cannot understand how institutionally allowing the raping young boys and covering it up for two decades just so the coach at ohio state can't come into pennsylvania and remind top recruits and their parents about "what goes on over at penn state" is not as important as that lunch. becoming ongoing accomplices to the most heinous crimes in society simply to preserve the status quo in your recruiting efforts..........no ncaa violation i have ever heard of is as obvious as this.
    john mccallie

This website begs to differ: http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?ti..._Death_Penalty

Where's your website?
    Kevin Entwistle

WGD (Worlds Greatest Dog) Cinci Redstocking "Loki", born: Jan. 22, 1999, RIP November 13, 2011
    "Lars" Chilian with the Rainmaker, born: Feb. 2, 2010

"That which you manifest is before you" (The Art of Racing in the Rain)

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

BonMallari did originally, see his post #23. I didn't understand how he could either, I just responded to it.

I mentioned TCU because SMU's penalty hurt TCU across town, they were in the SWC at the time and a rival of the Ponies...TCU has fought hard to bring their program back to the big time, but they are not an easy school to get into
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

This website begs to differ: http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?ti..._Death_Penalty

Where's your website?
    Your source is incorrect. Kentucky instituted their own Death Penalty and not the NCAA. 60 years later some may try to attribute it to the NCAA but, ask any Kentucky fan from that era and they will tell you that Kentucky decided it was best to punish themselves! It wasn't until after the U of K suspended thier program that the NCAA sanctioned it.
    Last edited by Franco; 07-13-2012 at 06:58 PM.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

Your source is incorrect. Kentucky instituted their own Death Penalty and not the NCAA. 60 years later some may try to attribute it to the NCAA but, ask any Kentucky fan from that era and they will tell you that Kentucky decided it was best to punish themselves! It wasn't until after the U of K suspended thier program that the NCAA sanctioned it.
    If my memory serves me correctly , those would have been the Indianapolis Olympians. The Olympians being the entire Kentucky starting five! I wish I had the papers at the time as I believe the NCAA had their nose in it big time. That was about the time that CCNY was found to be on the take after winning both the NCAA & NIT, beating Bradley twice in 1950. Sherman White of LIU lost his opportunity to be one of the all time greats of the sport, & there were others of less notoriety at most of the East Coast schools of note in that day. I don't believe that came about without heavy NCAA involvement, not an opinion as the sports writers of that day were a notch above what passes for anything remotely competent today.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

I would say that the first thing that needs to be done is that the Paterno statue should be removed from the stadium in the dark of night. There doesn't need to be any hoopla or press releases. Just remove all vestiges of Paterno from that "shrine". Otherwise, every visitor will walk by and this debate will continue forever. In addition, if there are any televised games, you know that the statue will be featured.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    If my memory serves me correctly , those would have been the Indianapolis Olympians. The Olympians being the entire Kentucky starting five! I wish I had the papers at the time as I believe the NCAA had their nose in it big time. That was about the time that CCNY was found to be on the take after winning both the NCAA & NIT, beating Bradley twice in 1950. Sherman White of LIU lost his opportunity to be one of the all time greats of the sport, & there were others of less notoriety at most of the East Coast schools of note in that day. I don't believe that came about without heavy NCAA involvement, not an opinion as the sports writers of that day were a notch above what passes for anything remotely competent today.

Yes they were. One of the things I enjoy today is when some of the oldtimers in Sports Broadcasting come around and visit. Our KPEL am & fm is celebrating 50 Seasons Of UL Athletics. That's how long those stations have been the voice of athletics for the Ragin Cajuns.

On another note, when a lot of sports information was being transfered to digital in the early and mid 90's, all of the information that was transfered was not transfered accurately. That info was taken at face value though there may have been other factors more important to the story. In short, everything one reads that is historical on the internet is not always reflective of reality.

Last edited by Franco; 07-13-2012 at 09:44 PM.