The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State

I think I might have to retract some of my sympathy for the Paterno family. They have strongly criticized the results of the Freeh investigation.

They also fought for the $5.5 million package of goodies in Joe's contract, in spite of the fact that he was fired with cause. There was a $3 million bonus in there for retiring at the end of the 2011 season. Joe's wife gets use of the hydratherapy service of the University; as well as 25 years of a box suite at Beaver Stadium for the family. The line was drawn, however, on the use of the Penn State private jet. The deal also included forgiveness of $350,000 in loans to Paterno from the University. One might think that with the $3 million, they could actually pay for the hydratherapy and pay off the loans.

The saddest part is that if both Paterno and the University had done the right thing & taken action immediately (back in 1998), they could have retained their integrity & protected those kids. They would have been heroes. Any "scandal" that might have resulted would have been nothing compared to what's happened now. Sort of makes me wonder what Sandusky had on them that made them leave him alone.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Default Ditto !

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    I think I might have to retract some of my sympathy for the Paterno family. They have strongly criticized the results of the Freeh investigation.

They also fought for the $5.5 million package of goodies in Joe's contract, in spite of the fact that he was fired with cause. There was a $3 million bonus in there for retiring at the end of the 2011 season. Joe's wife gets use of the hydratherapy service of the University; as well as 25 years of a box suite at Beaver Stadium for the family. The line was drawn, however, on the use of the Penn State private jet. The deal also included forgiveness of $350,000 in loans to Paterno from the University. One might think that with the $3 million, they could actually pay for the hydratherapy and pay off the loans.

The saddest part is that if both Paterno and the University had done the right thing & taken action immediately (back in 1998), they could have retained their integrity & protected those kids. They would have been heroes. Any "scandal" that might have resulted would have been nothing compared to what's happened now. Sort of makes me wonder what Sandusky had on them that made them leave him alone.
    Interesting people, the Paternos !

I had never thought about your idea in last sentence.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Your source is incorrect. Kentucky instituted their own Death Penalty and not the NCAA. 60 years later some may try to attribute it to the NCAA but, ask any Kentucky fan from that era and they will tell you that Kentucky decided it was best to punish themselves! It wasn't until after the U of K suspended thier program that the NCAA sanctioned it.
    With all due respect, if/when you find a source to substantiate your claim, please post it. Thank you.
    Kevin Entwistle

WGD (Worlds Greatest Dog) Cinci Redstocking "Loki", born: Jan. 22, 1999, RIP November 13, 2011
    "Lars" Chilian with the Rainmaker, born: Feb. 2, 2010

"That which you manifest is before you" (The Art of Racing in the Rain)

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

One thing I never seen mentioned is any spectulation as to Sandusky victims before 1998. You know he just didn't start doing this at the age of 54. I believe he started Second Mile in the 70's, closed it in 1988, but kept their licence until 1999.
    Kevin Entwistle

WGD (Worlds Greatest Dog) Cinci Redstocking "Loki", born: Jan. 22, 1999, RIP November 13, 2011

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

http://blog.al.com/wire/2012/07/arti...ternos_ha.html

http://tinyurl.com/d2uyccr

Artist paints over Paterno's halo on Pennsylvania mural

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. An artist has removed a halo from a mural of Penn State football coach Joe Paterno amid the school's child sex-abuse scandal.

Michael Pilato had put a halo over Paterno's image after the beloved coach's death in January, but said he felt he had to remove it Saturday after a report that Paterno, former university president Graham Spanier and others buried allegations of child sex-abuse against ex-assistant Jerry Sandusky. Paterno's family denies the claim.

-more-
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Your source is incorrect. Kentucky instituted their own Death Penalty and not the NCAA. 60 years later some may try to attribute it to the NCAA but, ask any Kentucky fan from that era and they will tell you that Kentucky decided it was best to punish themselves! It wasn't until after the U of K suspended thier program that the NCAA sanctioned it.
    Franco, isn't your arguement a mute point anyway as self sanctions are a way to tell the NCAA what the institition is going to do? If UK did nothing, the NCAA probably would have given them the DP anyway?
    Kevin Entwistle

If the NCAA feels it has any possiblity of being dragged into these Penn State lawsuits or one in the future, they will most likely come forward with a stiff sanction and some new rules to try and blunt any effort to show they looked the other way in the Sandusky case or would tolerate not reporting it to the cops in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by LokiMeister View Post
    Franco, isn't your arguement a mute point anyway as self sanctions are a way to tell the NCAA what the institition is going to do? If UK did nothing, the NCAA probably would have given them the DP anyway?
    UK knew the NCAA was on to them. They committed suicide before the NCAA executed them. Then, the NCAA took credit for the suicide.
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

UK knew the NCAA was on to them. They committed suicide before the NCAA executed them. Then, the NCAA took credit for the suicide.

the old "poison pill defense"....
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

As YOU like to say, semantics...
    Kevin Entwistle