The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Straining with loose stools when training...

Unhappy Straining with loose stools when training...

My lab is one excited dog when we are out training. This is causing problems as he spends a lot of his time in the field straining with the diarrhea and will forget what he is suppose to be doing. Even if heís had two firm stools at home before we head out to train, his intestines start working overtime when out in the field.

Iíve discussed this with my vet and he put Miles on FortiFlora for a month. Still, his stools are always good at home but out in the field he will start to strain with loose stools. My vet has now recommended Tylan powder.

Has anyone had an excited dog with this same issue Ė and have it cured or managed? Iím concerned that this could cause real problems during a hunt test. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Becky
    Life is Good . . . Do what you like - Like what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Labs R Us View Post
    My lab is one excited dog when we are out training. This is causing problems as he spends a lot of his time in the field straining with the diarrhea and will forget what he is suppose to be doing. Even if he’s had two firm stools at home before we head out to train, his intestines start working overtime when out in the field.

I’ve discussed this with my vet and he put Miles on FortiFlora for a month. Still, his stools are always good at home but out in the field he will start to strain with loose stools. My vet has now recommended Tylan powder.

Has anyone had an excited dog with this same issue – and have it cured or managed? I’m concerned that this could cause real problems during a hunt test. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Mine is the same way and worse in this heat. He is on a probiotic powder everyday (I use Synacore) and he received a sprinkle of Tylan if he got loose like you are describing. Last year it happened in the heat in training during the extreme temperatures, this winter down south twice, and since he is home he has not needed it. Your vet is on the right track. It works great and you only need a sprinkle.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Thanks Nancy. I went to pick up the Tylan from my vet but his cost was twice what I can get online. Do you know how much you sprinkle on their food. I understand it tastes terrible. Did this help your dog in the field?
    Becky

Thanks Nancy. I went to pick up the Tylan from my vet but his cost was twice what I can get online. Do you know how much you sprinkle on their food. I understand it tastes terrible. Did this help your dog in the field?
    Just a sprinkle. 1/4 a quarter teaspoon if you want a measurement. You can put it in some cheese or canned food. It helped him not have a blow out if that's what you mean.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Tylan work for our Jake as well. Tylan plus prescription food. Your correct about the pricing on line. Check the date.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

My lab is one excited dog when we are out training. This is causing problems as he spends a lot of his time in the field straining with the diarrhea and will forget what he is suppose to be doing. Even if he’s had two firm stools at home before we head out to train, his intestines start working overtime when out in the field.

I’ve discussed this with my vet and he put Miles on FortiFlora for a month. Still, his stools are always good at home but out in the field he will start to strain with loose stools. My vet has now recommended Tylan powder.

Has anyone had an excited dog with this same issue – and have it cured or managed? I’m concerned that this could cause real problems during a hunt test. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    How many times a day are you feeding your dog and when is the last meal before training?

I feed him twice a day. If I'm heading out training, I will only give him half his morning amount but he still has issues. When we ran a test a month ago, I didn't feed him at all in the morning before the test and he still spent considerable time straining and walking. I'm hoping Tylan will fix this problem in the field. Feel so sorry for the guy.
    Becky

Labs R Us,

I think the problem is due to a trait found in wild canines. When they go on a hunt they evacuate their intestines so they don't have to carry the extra weight and so they can move more efficiently. On a pheasant hunt my dogs will void their bowels half a dozen times in the first mile or so and then they are good for the day.

I don't know how to prevent the issue, but it sounds like there are those who do. However, I don't think it is an unusual canine trait.

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

I realize this is an old thread, but just wanted to add my experience. My dog is high drive and has issues very similar to the OP's dog. He gets so pumped up prior to training or hunting, he will crap 3-4 times when I air him out. When not training, his stool is firm, no problems whatsoever. I put him on Purina Fortiflora probiotic once a day, and started giving him 1/4 of a sweet potato once a day. This has made a noticeable improvement in the firmness of his stools and now when I air him he will go once or twice, instead of 3-4 times, and the stools are firm.