The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: NCAA Value

Default NCAA Value

I'm confused. Just what exactly is the value of the NCAA? Other than dealing out punishment to the wrong people most of the time, what good are they?
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    I'm confused. Just what exactly is the value of the NCAA? Other than dealing out punishment to the wrong people most of the time, what good are they?

From the NCAA website:
    Finances

Student-athlete welfare. Opportunity. Education.

The NCAA is a nonprofit association that is committed to providing opportunity for more than 430,000 college students who compete annually in intercollegiate athletics.
    Sixty percent of NCAA revenue is distributed directly to Division I conferences, which pass most of that money along to their member institutions to support their athletics programs. Another major use of NCAA revenue is the support of 89 national championships in 23 sports, including coverage of travel expenses for all participants. Other student-athlete benefits include catastrophic-injury insurance coverage for all student-athletes; year-round and championship drug-testing programs; and various scholarship programs, among others.
    Most NCAA revenue comes from a 14-year, $10.8 billion agreement with Turner Broadcasting and CBS Sports for rights to the Division I Men’s Basketball Championship. Projected NCAA revenue for 2011-12 is $777 million, $700 million of which (90 percent) is projected to come from media rights payments.
    "I'm gonna lean up against you, and you lean up against me. That way we don't hafta sleep with our heads in the mud"
    Forrest Gump, 1994

they are the bank(er)....

IMO they are one of the most hypocritical of the sports organizations, because they claim to be non profit, and they claim to be the ones responsible for keeping College Athletics as non professional, but they reap the benefits of those "amateurs" playing football on Saturdays in the fall, and the future millionaires playing hoops in March....yet they deny the "student-athlete" the opportunity to have a job...gimme a break
    Last edited by BonMallari; 07-23-2012 at 06:44 PM.
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

NCAA president Mark Emmert received nearly $400,000 in compensation for his first three months in the position, according to the federal tax return the association filed last week.
    The amount, which covered the final three months of the 2010 calendar year, means Emmert was paid at a rate of nearly $1.6 million a year — nearly 40% more than predecessor Myles Brand in 2008, his final full calendar year on the job.
    The return, obtained Monday in response to a request from USA TODAY Sports, shows Emmert, whose employment began Oct. 5, 2010, received:
    •$288,235 in base compensation.
    •$50,000 in retirement and deferred compensation.
    •$28,209 in other reportable compensation.
    •$22,686 in nontaxable benefits.

"I'm gonna lean up against you, and you lean up against me. That way we don't hafta sleep with our heads in the mud"
    Forrest Gump, 1994

Quote Originally Posted by ARay11 View Post
    From the NCAA website:
    Finances

Student-athlete welfare. Opportunity. Education.

The NCAA is a nonprofit association that is committed to providing opportunity for more than 430,000 college students who compete annually in intercollegiate athletics.
    Sixty percent of NCAA revenue is distributed directly to Division I conferences, which pass most of that money along to their member institutions to support their athletics programs. Another major use of NCAA revenue is the support of 89 national championships in 23 sports, including coverage of travel expenses for all participants. Other student-athlete benefits include catastrophic-injury insurance coverage for all student-athletes; year-round and championship drug-testing programs; and various scholarship programs, among others.
    Most NCAA revenue comes from a 14-year, $10.8 billion agreement with Turner Broadcasting and CBS Sports for rights to the Division I Menís Basketball Championship. Projected NCAA revenue for 2011-12 is $777 million, $700 million of which (90 percent) is projected to come from media rights payments.
    I sure would like to know how much of every dollar of income received goes to "Student athlete welfare. Opportunity. Education." Probably would make those folks at United Way or Red Cross envious.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    I sure would like to know how much of every dollar of income received goes to "Student athlete welfare. Opportunity. Education." Probably would make those folks at United Way or Red Cross envious.
    While I do not agree with their actions in the PSU case, or USC, or or or... lol... they do serve a purpose to the student athletes and it's a pretty strong presence. Their distribution of their income is on their website www.ncaa.org
    Forrest Gump, 1994