The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Pigeon Trap is Out

I'm not having any luck this fall. I have a wire trap with two doors that are propped open and the damn birds won't even eat the corn and bread that is around the trap, let alone go in the trap to get the majority of the whole kernel corn. Any suggestions fellas?

Senior Member RailRoadRetrievers's Avatar

I set my $40.00 trap on top of a filling station roof, propped the doors, drove past pigeons going in and out, next day took the props off, went to work, and came back by and some jack wagon stole my trap.......

I made a pigeon trap years ago. I'd set it up where pigeons congregated and would sit in my truck at a distance waiting for it to fill up. No luck. I talked to someone who said to put a live pigeon in it and leave it out longer. Next weekend I did and left it out all day. Returned to find someone had released the pigeon and smashed the trap...
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by mollyjmu View Post
    I'm not having any luck this fall. I have a wire trap with two doors that are propped open and the damn birds won't even eat the corn and bread that is around the trap, let alone go in the trap to get the majority of the whole kernel corn. Any suggestions fellas?
    Molly, move the trap to another location and use only corn, get rid of the bread.
    I have 4 traps out right now but only catching birds in one of them consistantly.
    There is lots of seed on the ground in the fall and the birds are not crazed for food.
    They will eat around the trap for easy pickings in the fall. When it gets cold the game will
    change in your favor as they need more food to survive like ducks.
    I always leave the doors down and put alot of corn around the area to get them started.
    It usually takes a week ot two to get them around the trap and to start catching them.
    Be patient and check your bait every other day to make sure the rats and squirrels are not chowing on your corn.

Good Luck,
    Gregg Leonard

they are doing the same to my trap, they will eat the corn I put out but will not enter. I left the wires up for a couple days and they went in but when down nothing

I wish I had a deer cam on them to see what they are doing

Quote Originally Posted by RailRoadRetrievers View Post
    ........ some jack wagon stole my trap.......
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    ....... Returned to find someone had released the pigeon and smashed the trap...

you guys need a P.U.L.L. sign to ward off the huggers of trees. I use one. Works wonders!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Okay what does PULL stand for?
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    Okay what does PULL stand for?
    WARNING!

This Trap is the Private Property of

P.U.L.L.

The Pigeon Urban Liberation League

Rescuing pigeons from their urban squalor, transporting them to rural environments and lovingly releasing them to fly free.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

print that on a tag and put on your traps

Ha that is awesome!
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser