The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pigeon Trap is Out

If you see pigeons on power lines and there is a bridge or overpass nearby there's a pretty darn good chance that's where they are roosting. Wait until after dark and head in with a fish net and a flashlight. Don't shine the light directly on them.....SCOOP em up!!

Here is my question......describe if you don't mind how you are using these pigeons for training? Clip wings? Use and keep alive for later reuse? Kill/freeze/thaw use???

Quote Originally Posted by gd8 View Post
    Gregg,
    I am up in Chattanooga, which is a Desert for pigeons. If your supplier has ample quantities I would take a drive for those $3.50 pigeons. Driving would be easier....So far I have over $350 invested and yet to catch 1. ( $50 for trap, $300 for new tire after driving around abandon warehouses). thanks for the help.
    Gregg
    Hey Gregg, Palmetto Pigeon Plant, Sumter SC

Thanks Gregg. Much appreciated!

"Here is my question......describe if you don't mind how you are using these pigeons for training? Clip wings? Use and keep alive for later reuse? Kill/freeze/thaw use???[/QUOTE]

I clip them, launch them and reuse them. I have had the same pigeons going on 6 months now and they are still laying eggs, trying to brood even with me grabbing them every 10 days or so to go train with.

toss outa a box and shoot with a .12 gage is good as well.
    steady to shot?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

At times,
    Every now and again.
    I struggle with the moral and ethical nuances for a live bird being retrieved by dog after dog after dog.
    So I just toss um in the air and dust um with the .12 gage.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    At times,
    Every now and again.
    I struggle with the moral and ethical nuances for a live bird being retrieved by dog after dog after dog.
    So I just toss um in the air and dust um with the .12 gage.

Yes I know what you mean. I have only 1 dog and what I'll do is rotate say 4 birds on 4 marks using each only once in a session. Then back in the cage.

Quote Originally Posted by O.clarki View Post
    "Here is my question......describe if you don't mind how you are using these pigeons for training? Clip wings? Use and keep alive for later reuse? Kill/freeze/thaw use???
    I clip them, launch them and reuse them. I have had the same pigeons going on 6 months now and they are still laying eggs, trying to brood even with me grabbing them every 10 days or so to go train with.[/QUOTE]

Just started my coop, I have about 30 in the coop.
    Caught about 20 before and took them to the pro's for lack of place to keep them.
    He clipped the wings on some and we shot them as flyers this weekend.
    Guys have been using them shackled for blinds with good results.
    I want to keep about 50 to breed and have a constant supply.
    Just built and set out the new trap today. Took me way longer than I thought.
    Glad I employ real carpenters to make a living.

Gregg Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by golfandhunter View Post
    I clip them, launch them and reuse them. I have had the same pigeons going on 6 months now and they are still laying eggs, trying to brood even with me grabbing them every 10 days or so to go train with.
    Just started my coop, I have about 30 in the coop.
    Caught about 20 before and took them to the pro's for lack of place to keep them.
    He clipped the wings on some and we shot them as flyers this weekend.
    Guys have been using them shackled for blinds with good results.
    I want to keep about 50 to breed and have a constant supply.
    Just built and set out the new trap today. Took me way longer than I thought.
    Glad I employ real carpenters to make a living.

Gregg Leonard[/QUOTE]

We can't use them on blinds here. If you are lucky the fire ants will carry them off before the dog gets to the blind. If you are unlucky well can you imagine a mouthful of fire ants?
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Gregg,

I am in the process of building my coop right now. Going to be 12x6x7tall and 2 outside flight areas for sun shine and about 20 breeding boxes. What do you have your birds on for feed? Right now I have mine on half and half of wild bird seed/15% protein chicken crumble. Seems to be working good. Are you planning to vaccinate your breeders???
    Gavin B.