RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Pigeon Trap is Out

37K views 122 replies 32 participants last post by  golfandhunter 
#1 ·
My son put my pigeon trap out on the top of a service station. He'll leave it wired open for a few days and let the pigeons get used to going in and out. Results will be posted later.

#37 ·
We are making our doors out of 1/2 x1/2 wire screen cloth, with coat hanger wire around the edges.
Look at nixalite.com, I have one of their traps works great, copied their door design.
I am using 2x4's ripped in half for the frame and 1" chicken wire to cover.
about $9.00 in matls. per trap.
I am really busy at work this week, will try to build 3 traps on Sunday, gotta train Saturday.

Good Luck Trappers

Gregg Leonard

#34 ·
Pigeons are going like crazy in the Front range of Colorado, I can't keep up with the demand. Caught 303 and sold 220 the next day. Fastest way is to find where they are roosting and go in at night with a strobe light and fish net.

Dave

#36 ·
I would like to join this post, I am purchasing for $3.50 each but after reading this thread I am looking under every bridge when I drive to work for pigeons. I found some near where I train and they hang out on the power line but not sure how to trap or net them. Does anyone have a pic or sketch on homemade trap. I am not sure where they are roosting, there is a small bridge nearby.

#39 ·
Yep, and throw out alot of corn to attract from the start.
Caught 4 more since last post, they love the new coop.
put little bowls in today for nesting, and twigs, straws,etc.
Waiting for eggs.

Gregg Leonard

#40 ·
Gregg,
I am up in Chattanooga, which is a Desert for pigeons. If your supplier has ample quantities I would take a drive for those $3.50 pigeons. Driving would be easier....So far I have over $350 invested and yet to catch 1. ( $50 for trap, $300 for new tire after driving around abandon warehouses). thanks for the help.
Gregg

#42 ·
Gregg,
I am up in Chattanooga, which is a Desert for pigeons. If your supplier has ample quantities I would take a drive for those $3.50 pigeons. Driving would be easier....So far I have over $350 invested and yet to catch 1. ( $50 for trap, $300 for new tire after driving around abandon warehouses). thanks for the help.
Gregg
Hey Gregg, Palmetto Pigeon Plant, Sumter SC

#41 ·
If you see pigeons on power lines and there is a bridge or overpass nearby there's a pretty darn good chance that's where they are roosting. Wait until after dark and head in with a fish net and a flashlight. Don't shine the light directly on them.....SCOOP em up!!

Here is my question......describe if you don't mind how you are using these pigeons for training? Clip wings? Use and keep alive for later reuse? Kill/freeze/thaw use???

#44 ·
"Here is my question......describe if you don't mind how you are using these pigeons for training? Clip wings? Use and keep alive for later reuse? Kill/freeze/thaw use???[/QUOTE]

I clip them, launch them and reuse them. I have had the same pigeons going on 6 months now and they are still laying eggs, trying to brood even with me grabbing them every 10 days or so to go train with.

#48 ·
"Here is my question......describe if you don't mind how you are using these pigeons for training? Clip wings? Use and keep alive for later reuse? Kill/freeze/thaw use???
I clip them, launch them and reuse them. I have had the same pigeons going on 6 months now and they are still laying eggs, trying to brood even with me grabbing them every 10 days or so to go train with.[/QUOTE]

Just started my coop, I have about 30 in the coop.
Caught about 20 before and took them to the pro's for lack of place to keep them.
He clipped the wings on some and we shot them as flyers this weekend.
Guys have been using them shackled for blinds with good results.
I want to keep about 50 to breed and have a constant supply.
Just built and set out the new trap today. Took me way longer than I thought.
Glad I employ real carpenters to make a living.

Gregg Leonard

#50 ·
Gregg,

I am in the process of building my coop right now. Going to be 12x6x7tall and 2 outside flight areas for sun shine and about 20 breeding boxes. What do you have your birds on for feed? Right now I have mine on half and half of wild bird seed/15% protein chicken crumble. Seems to be working good. Are you planning to vaccinate your breeders???

#51 ·
Gregg,

I am in the process of building my coop right now. Going to be 12x6x7tall and 2 outside flight areas for sun shine and about 20 breeding boxes. What do you have your birds on for feed? Right now I have mine on half and half of wild bird seed/15% protein chicken crumble. Seems to be working good. Are you planning to vaccinate your breeders???
I am feeding cracked corn and have a pan of sand.
I have a guy that works for me that races pigeons and feeds pigeon pellets
in a 50lb bag for $18.00. I will get a bag next week at the feed store where I buy dog food.
All my birds are bridge birds, I have not thought about meds for them, do I need vacs?
I have noticed some birds are bigger and more aggresive, I think they are males.
My guy tells me they need 3 weeks or so to start pairing, right now they are from 2 bridges so they might know
each other. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gregg Leonard

#52 ·
Gregg,

I honestly don't know about the vacsinations. I was hoping you could tell me. I was reading on a pigeon forum and they vacs their birds. I guess there are some viruses that can wipe out a group in a matter of weeks. Not too big of a deal when trapping them is half the fun, but I would hate to get all set up and lose my birds.

They will pair up extremely fast. Give them a nest box with a 10 inch bowl and some nest building material and they will take care of the rest. A good pair will produce 2 babies every 2 months with proper care!

I have not seen pigeon pellets around here. All I have seen is 34 dollar 30 lbs sack of racing pigeon food, no thanks. With the wild bird foods and chicken crumbles I get 85 lbs of food for about 26 dollars.

#53 ·
Gavin, thanks for the info., I think some of my Dollar Tree nest bowls are to small.
I will ditch them tomorrow and get 3 more of the larger bowls, I have 18 nest boxes in the coop.

I will ask my guy about meds at work today, if easy and cheap I'll do it.
If not the only vacs i'll be administering will be 12 gauge.
He did tell me not to mix the bridge birds and racing birds, but he also lets all of his birds
out daily and they come back in acouple hours. He keeps the prized $500.00 Belgian breeders
in the coop all the time, because they may not come back. However, when the racers have babies
they take the chicks away from the racer family and put them in a separate coop with bridge birds
that just had chicks. The bridge bird chicks are culled and the bridge birds adopt the racer chicks.
Reason, the bridge bird momma's milk is better than the racer momma's milk because she is kept lean to fly fast.
Chicks stay with bridge birds for about 3 weeks then put back in racer coop. Interesting to say the least.
These pigeon racer people are as crazy as we are about their sport/hobby.

I am running a 3 trap line and one of my training buddies just put out a trap yesterday, I'll keep ya'll posted.

Gregg Leonard

#58 ·
Interesting read... How did you have your nest boxes built Gregg?

http://www.pigeonmania.com/male-pigeon-that-has-several-nest-boxes/
Very cool read, I do not have doors on the nest boxes.
My boxes are 12"x12" with a 2" front lip and made of OSB.
I maybe need to take all but 3 or 4 males out of the coop, don't have time for all that training.
I've got a few big boys I call the Mack pigeons,they control the food, water and boxes.
My guy is coming over tomorrow to ID boys and girls, I wiil ask about the number of males in the coop.

Send me a pm with phone # and I will text you some pics of traps and coop if you want.

Gregg Leonard

#61 ·
My Dad raced pigeons for a while and had, I'm sure, more high dollar pigeons than Mom knew about. He build his nest boxes as described above, about 12" x 12" with a front lip. The lip helped keep the nesting material in place and prevented babies from falling out before they were ready to leave the nest.

And I laughed at the comment about pigeon racers being as crazy about their sport as we are the dog games. So true. I mean $500 for a freaking pigeon???? :D

#66 ·
Heck yea, I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Gavin

#68 ·
so if provided enough room they will lay another set of eggs when their young are not yet ready to be on their own?
My better pairs do, particularly when on a high protein diet.

dats a buncha poop.
Like all God's children, they eat and they poop.

#69 ·
WOW! That is some coop.

#70 ·
Thanks Wayne, will paint this weekend to match the kennel.
Have you and your son caught any birds?

Gregg Leonard

#71 ·
After my son's back got better, he got an upper respertory infection. So, I bought some and have plenty now. As soon as my back gets well I'll get the trap out again.

#73 ·
I am one of the lucky ones. My friend next door has racing birds. He sell the ones he is done with to me for $2.00 each. So when I am training sit to flush, they go back to him and I get them back for free.
Each one has a leg band on.
Terry
Wow, $2.00 ea. I guess everyone is his morning cup of coffee.
Thats awesome, birds for next to nothing.

I caught 4 birds today in my new trap. I guess my design worked.
The trap has been out for 5 days and I put out more corn on Wednesday for attractant.
I checked today and 4 were in the trap with 3 others on the outside, they know where it is now.
I am slowly learning Pigeon behavior, I am gonna catchthem all.(he is out of his mind)

Gregg Leonard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.