The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Pigeon Trap is Out

OK who lives in England?

Hundreds of racing pigeons have been disappearing over a sleepy pocket of North East England, earning the region a reputation as the "Birdmuda Triangle."
    http://news.yahoo.com/pigeons-vanish...123049613.html
    All success belongs to the dog, all failure to the trainer.

Caught another feral cat yesterday, that makes 5 cats transported to the cat lady.
    I caught 10 pigeons in one of the new traps yesterday, took 4 days of baiting and waiting.
    Also caught 2 in another trap, 12 birds in one day, thats a record for me.

We are starting a long weekend of training today at Day/Didier farms in Grantville, Ga.
    Captain Jack, is starting swim by with our blf pup Jesse and hopes to finish by Tuesday next week.
    Oh yea, we are gonna shoot some flyers this weekend for sure.
    Hope everyone has a great holiday. Gotta hit the road now, gonna wet a hook for an hour at first light.

Gregg Leonard

Caught 7 birds today in the trap I caught 10 yesterday.
    Caught 4 in the wire trap from Nixalite.

Glen ran Jesse on swim by and she did great today, not to good at treading water yet.
    Also ran 4 wheeler singles with her and pattern blinds, big day.

Caught 2 Big Lipped Bass this morning before we started Training.

back at it at 7:30 manania.

Gregg Leonard

Had a good weekend of training, big crowd showed every day.
    I caught 5 more birds on sunday and took them for training yesterday.
    After Glen finished swim by with Jesse, he grabbed a pigeon and clipped only one wing and put white survey tape on the other wing.
    Took a pistol the bird and Jesse up the field about 50 yards, remote sat Jesse, fired the pistol
    and threw the bird. I did not catch any birds yesterday, guess the birds took off for the holiday.
    But, I was looking for the bird Glen threw for Jesse because it never stopped flying on one wing!!!
    If anyone sees a one winged pigeon with white ribbon in the Atlanta area please contact Glen.

Gregg Leonard

I had a trap on the ground near a bridge and under a power line.
    Trap was there for 5 days and they ate no corn, so i put 2 live birds in the trap.
    Checked the trap yesterday, there is a big red tailed hawk in the trap, pigeons are dead
    and he has eaten the breasts out of one bird, the other is dead. Wow he was cool, took 10 mins.
    to get him out unharmed.

Gregg

had my first night netting session and netted 7, was easier than I had thought. found them during day on wires and at night under bridge

I am back catching pigeons this week and nabbed a homer or racer in one of the traps.
    He has a red band on one leg with no marking. the other leg has a white band with AU 2012 and NA 760.
    I assume the first is August 2012, any body know how to find out what the other letters and numbers mean?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Gregg Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by golfandhunter View Post
    I am back catching pigeons this week and nabbed a homer or racer in one of the traps.
    He has a red band on one leg with no marking. the other leg has a white band with AU 2012 and NA 760.
    I assume the first is August 2012, any body know how to find out what the other letters and numbers mean?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Gregg Leonard
    Know nothing about pigeons, but was interested and fired up the Google Machine and found this: http://www.pigeon.org/lostbirdinfo.htm

AU 2012 means that the pigeon was registered with the American Racing Pigeon Union in 2012. NA is the club code for the North Atlanta Racing Pigeon Club. 760 is a designation to identify the actual bird. Shoot this dude an email and he can probably find the owner:

Club Name : NORTH ATLANTA RPC
    Club Code : NA
    Club Secretary : BOB TAVARES
    City : MARIETTA
    State : GA
    Phone No. : 678-778-1769
    Email Address : pigeon89@comcast.net

Thanks Double Haul, I will send him a note.

bought some 1x2 and chicken wire going to try first trap . went out the other night late and only found 1 under bridge. they must go under bridge at different times at night

could one of the trap builders post a close up picture of door

thanks