RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Pigeon Trap is Out

37K views 122 replies 32 participants last post by  golfandhunter 
#1 ·
My son put my pigeon trap out on the top of a service station. He'll leave it wired open for a few days and let the pigeons get used to going in and out. Results will be posted later.

#2 ·
We have caught 11 under a bridge near my office in the last week.
I went on a guided fishing trip yesterday and one of my buddy's was suppose to get the
birds in the trap, but on my way home today, I see he did not get them.
They fly really well.
Good Luck on your trapping

Gregg Leonard

#3 ·
I find it to be a lot of fun trapping squabs. The building owners seem to like the free service that we do for them too.

#4 ·
I had a private message from a visitor this morning. For some reason I could not open it. The title was "How do you trap pigeons". So here goes. I bought my pigeon trap from Lion Country Supply (dog training supplier). It has two one way doors (one on each end). Prop the doors open for a few days. Put food in the trap. Use either sunflower seed, wild bird seed or scratch grain. If you can, put some water in the trap. After a few days the pigeons will go in and out of the trap. After a few days, remove the props from the doors. The pigeons will go in to get food and will be trapped. Check traps often.

The one way doors are simply bars that hang down that can be pushed inward but not out.

#8 ·
just put two live ones in it to start with a bucket of grain and water and come back to a full trap the next day..

#9 ·
Props coming off doors tomorrow. My son left them open longer than normal. Will run the traps Sat and Sun.

#10 ·
The thunderstorm yesterday evening messed up the pigeon trapping. It washed all the seed away and probably caused the pigeons to head for cover. One step back.

#15 ·
Got a new trap from nixalite.com last week.
caught first bird today,in new trap.
put homemade trap at a new bridge yesterday, waiting.

Gregg Leonard

#18 ·
Trap can be on the ground, caught all mine with trap on ground or concrete.

#17 ·
Wayne, how's the hunt going? Have you caught a pigeon yet?

JS

#19 ·
No pigeons. After the trap being in my attic for a couple of years the prongs were sticking. The pigeons were going in but getting out. Then my son hurt his back while on the building roof. It went out on him while on the roof and he didn't have his cell phone with him (in truck). He had to wait about 15 min on the roof before he could stand and climb down the ladder.
He has oiled up the trap and will put it back out when his back is better. We have caught lots of pigeons before so it has just been bad luck.

#21 ·
My son just threw his back out. He got that from his mother. He is much better already. He remembers to take his cell phone with him now.

#23 ·
Frank, I bought the SW2412 24x12x8 small trap w/doors at each end. Nixalite.com
I caught another bird today in this trap. This is the second bird in this new trap.
I have learned that it takes 3 or 4 days for the birds to hang out around the trap.
The home made trap I moved to a new bridge took 4 days for the birds to get acclamated.
Today there were birds all around the trap and on top of it, maybe we catch in the morning.
I'll keep you all posted.

Gregg Leonard

#25 ·
Frank, no birds for me today, i have decided to build my own coop.
It will be attatched to my kennel.
Carpenters will build friday. my pro will take 2 years to get his done.
i also found pigeons for$3.50ea. will catch as i have time.

Gregg Leonard

#26 ·
A new mattress cured my sons back issues.

#28 ·
Im on a roll, catching pigeons out the ying yang.
My boys could not come build the coop on Friday, they are coming Monday.
I am running 2 traps now and will build 3 more next week.
My buddies are running blinds with shackled pigeons and having positive results with their dogs.
Any of ya'll doing any good on your trapping?

Gregg Leonard

#30 ·
Coop is almost done, will finish in the morning.
I have not caught any birds in 2 days, maybe good got 12 in the garage
and 20 at the pro's.
Any one catching?

Gregg Leonard

#32 ·
Finished the coop today, should call it a pigeon condo, cost me a fortune.
Caught 3 more birds today and cut 10 2x4's into 2x2's to make more traps.
would post pics but I'm a techno idiot.

Gregg Leonard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.