The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Pigeon Trap is Out

After my son's back got better, he got an upper respertory infection. So, I bought some and have plenty now. As soon as my back gets well I'll get the trap out again.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

I am one of the lucky ones. My friend next door has racing birds. He sell the ones he is done with to me for $2.00 each. So when I am training sit to flush, they go back to him and I get them back for free.
    Each one has a leg band on.
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by terry cover View Post
    I am one of the lucky ones. My friend next door has racing birds. He sell the ones he is done with to me for $2.00 each. So when I am training sit to flush, they go back to him and I get them back for free.
    Each one has a leg band on.
    Terry
    Wow, $2.00 ea. I guess everyone is his morning cup of coffee.
    Thats awesome, birds for next to nothing.

I caught 4 birds today in my new trap. I guess my design worked.
    The trap has been out for 5 days and I put out more corn on Wednesday for attractant.
    I checked today and 4 were in the trap with 3 others on the outside, they know where it is now.
    I am slowly learning Pigeon behavior, I am gonna catchthem all.(he is out of his mind)

Gregg Leonard

Gregg
    It is a funny way how I met him.. Jim lives about 200yrds from my house. One day I saw birds flying around, and though I was in heaven. After getting 5 or 6 of them a training I went. I saw this truck coming up to mine. Not knowing him, he asked to stopped at his house. I went over, he asked me to see the birds. Then he asked me to hold a clip board, then he asked me to look at the bands on thier legs. As he read them off, I started to check them off. Talk about felling Like SHIT.... He said, If I really needed birds just ask. That is how the price came up..........

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by terry cover View Post
    Gregg
    It is a funny way how I met him.. Jim lives about 200yrds from my house. One day I saw birds flying around, and though I was in heaven. After getting 5 or 6 of them a training I went. I saw this truck coming up to mine. Not knowing him, he asked to stopped at his house. I went over, he asked me to see the birds. Then he asked me to hold a clip board, then he asked me to look at the bands on thier legs. As he read them off, I started to check them off. Talk about felling Like SHIT.... He said, If I really needed birds just ask. That is how the price came up..........

Terry
    Pigeon folks are everywhere.
    You just need to make sure you get the right type. Some would not only never sell a bird to a dog person, they might even harass you for animal abuse (visit some of the pigeon forum sites and you'll see what i mean).
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_LAB View Post
    Pigeon folks are everywhere.
    You just need to make sure you get the right type. Some would not only never sell a bird to a dog person, they might even harass you for animal abuse (visit some of the pigeon forum sites and you'll see what i mean).
    Oh yea, I have talked to some wack'os already.
    Been to some of the forums to ask advice about raising birds, did not mention dogs at all.
    Trying to keep a low profile in the hood, the coop is on the side of my kennel and only 1 neighbor ( who is cool ) can see the coop.

I like Terry's deal alot better, at $2.00 a bird it will take me 600 birds to pay for the coop.
    Oh well!

Gregg Leonard

Netted another 15 from the overpass and had to have a chat with the sheriff's department. I was told you have to have a hunting license in Oklahoma (luckily I had mine on me), anyone know what the law really says?

state to state thing.
    some new guys, sheriff or game wadren.
    think they are "rock doves" and are a game bird.
    most with more time on, think they are rats with wings.
    all will want to see your hunting tags.
    it's how they roll.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by ndk3819 View Post
    Netted another 15 from the overpass and had to have a chat with the sheriff's department. I was told you have to have a hunting license in Oklahoma (luckily I had mine on me), anyone know what the law really says?
    Are you using a ladder to get to the center posts or catching them under the sides where the concrete slopes up under the bridge?

Trapping has been slow this week, only one bird for me, are pigeon bio rythyms off?

Gregg Leonard

Anybody catching any birds? I have not caught any birds this week.

Gregg Leonard