The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need to get new whistle

Default I need to get new whistle

I have used a fox 40 since my 1st dog which was bout 17 years ago. I hate that I'm having to change but I can't hear anymore. Lol. I also get headache after training 3-4 dogs. I was looking to get some input on what everyone uses and the pros and cons of each. Any help would be great.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

Look down a little way in this forum. The question just came up and there are a lot of opinions in that thread.
    I got this! It ain't rocket surgery!

The Fox-40 is brutal on the ears.

A whistle with a megaphone will direct the sound away from you and down range. Some of my training partners use a whistle without a megaphone and I have to stand well away from them or it hurts my ears especially if I have my hearing aids in. My son uses the same whistle as me and I can stand right next to him. Roy Gonia with megaphone.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson" RIP (5/26/01-6/18/15)
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

I have a Fox 40 and I thought I loved it... that is, until I got a SportDog "The Answer" whistle from gundogsupply. I've been training with "the answer" for a few weeks and I like it. Yesterday evening I blew the Fox 40 a few times just to try it and I couldn't believe how hard it was on my ears. I'll probably keep it on the lanyard for really super windy days or for upland hunts but for training and hunt tests I'll be sticking to "the answer."

Quote Originally Posted by J_Brown View Post
    I have a Fox 40 and I thought I loved it... that is, until I got a SportDog "The Answer" whistle from gundogsupply. I've been training with "the answer" for a few weeks and I like it. Yesterday evening I blew the Fox 40 a few times just to try it and I couldn't believe how hard it was on my ears. I'll probably keep it on the lanyard for really super windy days or for upland hunts but for training and hunt tests I'll be sticking to "the answer."
    Better idea...........use both of the whistles on the next windy day and see which one your dog hears better.
    Then you can gladly toss the Fox 40 in the trash

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Better idea...........use both of the whistles on the next windy day and see which one your dog hears better.
    Then you can gladly toss the Fox 40 in the trash
    i agree.....also I can't belive after decades of people being told that the fox 40 was designed for sports events with A sharp blast covering 270* And are not good for dog training they still insist on using them
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Even with a megaphone, this is one of the main reasons I am considering getting a set of Wild ears. Between whistles, and hand throwing with a starter gun, and test launching the bumper boy, enough is enough for me. The side benefit will be using them hunting.
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Lebanon, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    Some of my training partners use a whistle without a megaphone
    Wouldn't be my training partners long if they used a fox 40 or other non-mega, other than just messing about in the yard. I might make them a nice 'present' of a new whistle but after a while continued use of such whistles puts them clearly in the "don't know but but won't listen category" and probably carries over into other aspects. Of course, if they have a huge arm or great training grounds, some accomodations might be made