The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No linebreeding

Default No linebreeding

Hi am New to the Forum. I have had GSPS for aprox 12 yrs. I live in central Florida and like the drive and enthusiasm of the field bred Dogs. I was researching pedigrees and have yet to find a BREEDER who has a line of dogs he/she has cultivated. It seems the trend is to take a titled individual who is a outcross himself and breed to a bitch who has no titles and is a outcross and market the pups. I am not being critical just wondering as I have had dogs since I was 4 and I am 50 now. The top GSP breeders in the nation most linebreed. They might take a Linebred individual and outcross to another linebered individual, which is a outcross but a different approach than breeding a scatter bred x scatter bred. Are there any field lab breeders who use solid linebreeding and have developed a solid performance line of labs?

For the most part, no. Field labs are primarily outcrosses within a small box. By that I mean that if you look, there are numerous popular sires that appear numerous times in most pedigrees, but few if any breeders have a long-term plan of line-breeding and while you will hear people speak of particular "lines", they aren't using that term in the way that pointer or livestock people would. Many if not most breedings are a good bitch to a popular dog (usually popular based on performance only, sometimes taking progeny performance into account). Definition of "good bitch" varies. Just my observation.
    Matt McKenzie

It takes as long as it takes. Sometimes longer.

"It is better to own a $50,000 dog and have an old truck and crummy equipment than to own $50,000 worth of new equipment and a crummy dog..." EdA

Thanks for the reply Matt. Nice looking Avatar Dog! That is what I have found, but it is strange as the Linebreeding techniques work. The litters I have looked at I have not found a single related individual in 3-4 generations. I got my last gsp who is just 9months now from Kansas it is the 2nd GSP from him. He has bred GSPS for over 30 years, linebreeds and knows genetics. He says Genes don't blend they clump and only on occasion goes outside of his line to bring some vigor or particular trait back. FREEZELAND I am curious who these breeders you speak of are can you elaborate?

There are not many litters I have seen without lean Mac somewhere on top and bottom. I just bought two pups from unrelated litters, both are line breeding of code blue.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)

Thanks, I think you are referring to what Matt stated above.

Quote Originally Posted by kumate View Post
    Thanks, I think you are referring to what Matt stated above.
    No that's not what I am referring to.

What kennels are you referring to who have a successful line breeding program? I asked the question " Are there any field lab breeders who use solid line breeding and have developed a solid performance line of labs? " Your vague response reinforces the fact you are not aware of any

My code blue line bred dogs are not from established kennels. But they are intentional line breeding on code blue. Try looking at candlewood retrievers. I can't attest to the fact that there is an established line breeding program, but would be surprised if there is not at least on some of the dogs from it.

Thanks, I understand now what you are referring to. I was planning on contacting Candlewood

Mary Howley @ Candlewood is one that comes to mind that did some line breeding. There were health issues in retrievers years ago, basically hips and out breeding had to be done to clear up the problem. Unlike bird dog breeders, retriever breeders don't cull. Also retriever that are so called well bred sell for more money than most bird dogs. Since the invention of hunt tests some have figured out if we put Jr. on Molly we can breed her to an FC and demand 1,000.00-2,000.00 or more for our puppies. Unfortunatly it works. Quality lines out the window. There are breeders that try to match a stud to their bitch to produce quality pups but there is no guarantee the traits they want passed down will be.It's still a crap shoot. Personally I'll spend the money and hope those traits were passed along.