The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadfowl trainer or Avery True Bird

Default Deadfowl trainer or Avery True Bird

Looking for to buy a couple of training dummies. Wondering what everyone thinks of the ATB? I have one mallard deadfowl that works good. Just curious, I have never seen a ATB.

Neither, they're just $30 dummies. If you buy two, then you've spent $60, when you could have bought a few regular dummies and a Mike Lardy Volume 1 training article collection.

Knorman is absolutely on point. Everyone falls for this when starting out. The shape is appealing to the trainer more than the dog.

With that said, the Avery ATB and Doken Mallards are both too large and the heads are like rocks. If you like Doken, get the Wood Duck or Grouse size. If you like the Avery, get the EZ bird. These are a bit smaller than the full size but still visible at a distance. Between Avery and Doken. I'd go with Avery because the Doken smell like cat urine after tbey get wet. See the thread on how to get the smell out.

Best to get regular bumpers to train with though. I prefer DT soft mouth trainers.

The Dokken is a very good product, though I have definitely heard some complaints about the head!

The Avery Ez Bird is also great, and toss's great from a winger!

But as CaptainJack pointed out the smell is nasty after a while in the dokken! Though that doesn't seem to bother the dogs!

I would go with the Avery too.

I use the ez birds in both mallard and black and white (got them free) for water work. If I were buying them I would get big bumpers in white, black and white, and black. I found a 6 gallon bucket full of the regular ATB's yesterday in the shed didn't even realize I still had any of those.

Is there any difference in the ATB and EZ other then size?

Quote Originally Posted by KNorman View Post
    Neither, they're just $30 dummies. If you buy two, then you've spent $60, when you could have bought a few regular dummies and a Mike Lardy Volume 1 training article collection.

x2
    or 4 live mallard ducks and a six pack to drink at the tail gate with your gunner!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by phillip1119 View Post
    Is there any difference in the ATB and EZ other then size?
    EZ birds have a soft head. The ATBs (at least those made in the past) have a hard head. They are both available in flasher and mallard colors. The used to make an ATB in teal size. This was similar to the EZ bird in size but had the hard head.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjack View Post
    Knorman is absolutely on point. Everyone falls for this when starting out. The shape is appealing to the trainer more than the dog.
    Respectfully disagree. For what ever reason, some dogs do seem to prefer and therefore "work" harder for the imitation ducks vs standard bumpers. Why? I have no idea....

I agree. My dogs will pick up the Dokkens first everytime. As for the smell, I think it helps when training in cover.
    Joe Dutro

Oakwood's Dora Duky Desire MH- (Dora) 3/3/03- 3/16/11
    Desire's Midnight Rose SH- (Rose) 1/29/08
    Desire's Big Launch MH (Rocket) 9/29/09
    Desire's Pine Ridge Lonesome Gus MH (Gus) 9/29/09