The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 142

Thread: Harry Reid accuses Romney of not paying taxes

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,071

    Default

    Romney reportedly has an IRA worth $100,000,000. IRA accounts have been in existence for less than 40 years and your annual contributions are limited. I believe it was limited to $2500 initially and has had a few increases to its current level


    It'd be near impossible to have a 100 million IRA without doing some less than honest bookkeeping or using unrealistic arbitrarily low valuations. There are only 2 possibilities that could give someone a $100,000,000 IRA as I see it

    1) Creative accounting....... which to me would equate to dishonesty or Cheating to get to this level
    2)Unreal never before seen brilliance in finding investments that can yield to an extent that he could make an IRA with the contribution constraints put on it to grow to $100,000,000


    Obama has already done enough to show me that voting for him aint gonna happen. That doesn't mean that Romney gets my vote, as Im not overly enamored of him.

    If Romney would give us the transparency we deserve and release his tax records then I would be able to make an informed decision.
    If in fact he is as brilliant as scenario #2 would require he should get every Americans vote. He should be able to retire the debt and make every citizen rich beyond our wildest dreams with that type of Midas touch at the helm in only a single term

    However if scenario #1 is in fact the case then I wont be able to vote for him
    Additionally Id have a hard time pulling the lever for any person who wants the most important job on our planet, but refuses to release information that we the unwashed that he wishes to lead are routinely required to reveal for simple loans, job applications and other things

    Now put me in the same boat as Harry and let the name calling begin

  2. #22
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,450

    Default

    those that are calling for Romney to release his tax records are just adding to the fodder....Harry Reid throws a stink bomb and hope the stench sticks...so he releases his records..what does it show...it shows that he is a wealthy individual, giving Dems the monster they want, they paint Romney as a man out of touch because of his wealth...class warfare all over again....look at all the allegations already flying about million dollar IRA's...do you think that Romney is going to release returns if they are less than bulletproof

    Personally I think he is playing the hand just like a good poker player...the last cards havent been dealt yet, there is no need to show the hole cards until the final raise, which will be at debate time...I see the scenario where Romney calls out BHO with I will show you my income tax returns when you unseal your school records,law records,...then thats where the dealer (public) calls for both players to show their cards
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SW Minnesota
    Posts
    2,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    those that are calling for Romney to release his tax records are just adding to the fodder....Harry Reid throws a stink bomb and hope the stench sticks...so he releases his records..what does it show...it shows that he is a wealthy individual, giving Dems the monster they want, they paint Romney as a man out of touch because of his wealth...class warfare all over again....look at all the allegations already flying about million dollar IRA's...do you think that Romney is going to release returns if they are less than bulletproof

    Personally I think he is playing the hand just like a good poker player...the last cards havent been dealt yet, there is no need to show the hole cards until the final raise, which will be at debate time...I see the scenario where Romney calls out BHO with I will show you my income tax returns when you unseal your school records,law records,...then thats where the dealer (public) calls for both players to show their cards
    I could careless if he is worth 20 million or 2 billion, I can't recall a Presidential candidate that wasn't rich, what I want to know is as is crooked like Obama appears to be. If he has nothing to hide there is no use to appear like your hiding something.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brookings, South Dakota
    Posts
    6,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Romney reportedly has an IRA worth $100,000,000. IRA accounts have been in existence for less than 40 years and your annual contributions are limited. I believe it was limited to $2500 initially and has had a few increases to its current level
    I think current limits are in the $5-6k range for a standard IRA. Most people don't realize that there is an SEP IRA for self employed individuals or small business owners. The contribution limits go to 20-25% of income depending on the plan and situation. The contribution limit is currently $50k. The contributions are 100% deductible as a business expense. This is what we do at our company. However, my balance is way way below that $100,000,000 mark.

    Some information on the plan is here:

    http://www.sepira.com/

    Now, I don't know how long these plans have been in existence. I have been doing it for 12 years now. I am positive that the limit has increased over the years, but lets give him the benefit of the doubt and assume the plans have been around for 20 or 30 years and that you could always contribute $50k.

    If you made annual contributions of $50k for 20 years, you would need an annual rate of return of 40% on your investments.

    If you made annual contributions of $50k for 30 years, you would need an annual rate of return of 23% on your investments.

    OK, now say you put in the max and had a few blockbuster years at the beginning of your plan, this would help you tremendously in making your $100,000,000 goal.

    Anyhow, just wanted to throw a bit of investing education into an otherwise waste of time.
    Last edited by Buzz; 08-02-2012 at 05:34 PM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

    Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

  5. #25
    Senior Member Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brookings, South Dakota
    Posts
    6,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    I could careless if he is worth 20 million or 2 billion, I can't recall a Presidential candidate that wasn't rich, what I want to know is as is crooked like Obama appears to be. If he has nothing to hide there is no use to appear like your hiding something.

    Obama isn't my favorite guy contrary to what people on here would think. There is plenty not to like about the guy. It's just that the attacks on him here are so outrageous, I feel that someone needs to try and defend him and try and give the other side. However, I just don't see him as crooked. I hate seeing guys like Daley and Geithner around him, made me sick from the start when he put up Geithner for Treasury... I think if he had put some other economic guys around him at the start we would be better off now than we are. Don't worry, y'all would have hated the guys I would have liked to have seen in there.
    Last edited by Buzz; 08-02-2012 at 05:17 PM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

    Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

  6. #26
    Senior Member HPL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Coastal Bend of Texas
    Posts
    2,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Romney reportedly has an IRA worth $100,000,000. IRA accounts have been in existence for less than 40 years and your annual contributions are limited. I believe it was limited to $2500 initially and has had a few increases to its current level
    Before everybody goes nuts, reported by whom?
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

    Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

    Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

    www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

  7. #27
    Senior Member Gerry Clinchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,729

    Default

    Suppose that IRA that Buzz mentions had been invested in gold? Might that have shown that kind of return needed?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

    ​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

  8. #28
    Senior Member M&K's Retrievers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Royse City, TX
    Posts
    5,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Obama isn't my favorite guy contrary to what people on here would think. There is plenty not to like about the guy. It's just that the attacks on him here are so outrageous, I feel that someone needs to try and defend him and try and give the other side. However, I just don't see him as crooked. I hate seeing guys like Daley and Geithner around him, made me sick from the start when he put up Geithner for Treasury... I think if he had put some other economic guys around him at the start we would be better off now than we are. Don't worry, y'all would have hated the guys I would have liked to have seen in there.
    Which ones? Please don't say all of them.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

    Mike Whitworth

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    Before everybody goes nuts, reported by whom?
    The article I read came from that notoriously socialistic rag called the Wall Street Journal. Some estimates put the worth of his IRA as high as $300,000,000
    My son just entered his freshman year at the U of Missouri. He is getting no student loans, Pell Grants or any other assisstance other than academic scholarship. The admissions office at this state university requested tax returns, voter registration, copies of my property tax reciepts, drivers license and other things from me. Why I have no idea

    Call me old fashioned, but I feel that the govt is to serve the citizens not vice versa. In that light, I feel if they can ask me for my tax returns so my son can go to a state school that is supported by my taxes {and now tuition} I kinda feel like someone who wants to run for POTUS should be required to release at least that much

    I would also wonder why Mr Romney wouldn't willingly embrace Transparency
    Im not buying Bon's logic in post 22 where he says this is just a Democratic ploy to make him release his tax returns so they could paint him as a wealthy man. I think that horse is already out of the barn Bon

  10. #30
    Senior Member gmhr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    3,731

    Default

    I agree he should show what the law says 2 years, If this is a bad law we need to work to change it but he doesn't have to go above and beyond the law.

    If I was hiding from the IRS hadn't paid taxes in the last 10 years and waiting for the IRS to come and arrest me the last thing I would do is run for President.
    Last edited by gmhr1; 08-03-2012 at 08:35 AM.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •