The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Texas Style Decoy Rig

I have also gained from this thread. We often times hunt water to deep to wade in and have rigged 12 decoys with 9' of line with a slide sinker and loops on each end so you end up with 24 loops on the cariber clip but are 4 1/2 ' of line to tend with.
    NOTE -I bought the big clips that are marketed for holding extension cords ,found them at a Dollar General store for $4.00 which is about $1.50 higher that the regulars but have a 150 pound capacity and are roughly 6" in diameter and gives plenty of room to hold onto when in transport.

I dont know how it will work so I only did a dozen first to see how it goes. If it simplifies the process I will order the mono line and al. crimps which is said to cause even less tangles.

I have one idea that I will try if I order the mono and crimps- on the side of the crimp that the line is fed back into to create the loop I am going to take side cutters and cut a small angle to give even less of an area for line to hang up on at the crimp,seems like a simple process that might give even more improvement to an already handy method.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Seems like a good time to revive this thread. In my above post I wrote that I would cut an angle on my crimps...I did this on most of them, and it was easy to identify the ones I missed ,because they where always the ones that would hang on something.

I have 3 dozen rigged up with 12 foot of mono, and as mentioned previously ,tying a half hitch in them makes them easy to transport.

The only drawback I've ssen with the Texas rig style ,is that it is harder on the decoys as they arent in a bag to help protect them from getting rubbed and bumped ,but I'll take that over the old way.
    Shawn White

Hearing of some guys using light cable from a trapping supply store instead of tangle free or mono. The couple of guys I personally know have had them rigged with the cable for a couple years. They feel the cable will greatly outlast other lines. Anyone else tried a cable?

I am so thank full you guys revived this thread..

Training day got cancelled cause of the weather. I needed something to keep my mind busy.

I rigged 3 dozen today..... Maybe its time to actually let this young dog a mine hunt!

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

I love this thread and learned from this thread and rigged a bunch of decoys last year. I praised the rigging style to all.
    Well this a.m. I had my first knot. I am sitting not watching football and cutting lines now. I do not know what I did wrong. This clump of 18 teal and wood duck decoys were used 4 days in a row. This morning, the 5th day, in the dark at set up time ended up like this. I cut 4 off and hand placed them out. I was a bit upset. So you texas riggers. does this happen a lot? what did I do wrong?

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Man, what a wreck! Did you use tangle free or something like it for your lines?
    I used the 400# mono that's like weed eater cord and haven't had any problems.
    I don't think you could tie a knot in that stuff.
    If you need somewhere to buy it, I could look up the site. It may have been posted in this thread.
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Ken ,are you using mono line or the "tangle-free", mono works a Lot better ? Also ,look at your second pic ,top dead center...see the crimp with the little bit of line coming through the crimp, once I'm done crimping it ,I cut my crimp off at an angle on that side. Last year I found that to be the only place that a line hangs up. I've hung mine in a tree about a month ago to make sure all the lines are straight before we start our season in a couple weeks.
    Last edited by shawninthesticks; 10-13-2013 at 09:45 PM.
    Shawn White

Line type doesen't matter. Tie a half hitch in the bundle of lines while transporting them. The closer you can get the knot to the dekes the better. Or wrap some electrical tape around the bundle of lines down near the dekes. Then you can just break it and throw it away. Lemme know if you need piktures

Quote Originally Posted by Brad B View Post
    . Tie a half hitch in the bundle of lines while transporting them.

hhmmmm...
    this may be the point of the fail.
    I clip 18 on a carabiner and then bag them and stack the bags on the cart. I have a long walk in. in one of the vids early in this thread the guys bag them. maybe the putting in then dumping out of the bag and the jiggly ride in cart to and frow????
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Yes that's your problem. Got to secure the bundle down near the decoys or they spin and twist into a mess (usually not a huge deal to undo depending on type of line your use), But even bagging them you have to stop that twisting/bouncing they do. Only time we don't is hauling them airboats where we clip them onto the cage and leave them hanging. If you do the half hitch (which I like cause I don't want to haul tape around), hang them without the knot when not in use to eliminate getting bad kinks in your line. Good luck!