The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas Style Decoy Rig

Default Texas Style Decoy Rig

Pro's and Con's to having the weight slide up and down the line??? I have seen it done both ways. Any reason not to rig one way or the other??

In my eyes there are only pros to rigging texas style. It makes everything so much quicker and easier. I use it for my goose and duck decoys. Go to Mack's and buy their rig. Cheap and good!

Only issue I've ever had with my T-rigs (Doc's Hunt'n Stuff) was when I hunted water deeper than the rig. If the weight isn't on the bottom the decoy is gonna get blown away by wind or current. But every decoy I hunt over is T-rigged because that is the ONLY problem I see with them. They are much easier IMO to put out and take up.
    Rusty Champion

A Southern Night's Miller Light ~ Miller
    Abbey Creek's Southern Comfort ~ Abbey

God Bless & War Eagle

I run a guide and daily lease service in Arkansas and we deal with about 80 dozen decoys all of which are Texas rigged. We use sliding egg sinkers on the line, this allows the sinkers to slide to the keel and protects the paint during transport, with a couple of carabiners you can carry 8 doz decoys very easily. Also don't buy pre-made Texas rigs. Check out www.snlcorp.com. They are out of Florida and have the best bulk buys on rigging and weights I've found.

If you go with a store bought set up, I highly recommend these http://www.docshuntnstuff.com/ their lines have a loop on the end so when you are picking up all you have to do is pick the decoy up by the head and then snap the loop with your carabeener. Their decoy bags with the slot in the bottom is great for transporting decoys and very well made.

RD
    Official Launcher of the 2005, 2006,2007,2008,2009 & 2010 HRC Fall & Spring Grand!

X2 on snlcorp Thats where i get all mine from!!! Did all ours 2 years ago.... BEST decision we ever made!!!!
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

wow, that vid is cool! I want to rig like that
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

I just switched all my decoys over last year to texas rigs, and it was the best thing I could ever do. It allowed me to set up more decoys when I wanted to use them and not take all night in the dark trying to get things put away out on the lake or pond. Now this year we are going to be hunting some deeper water, so we are making up some gang lines (not sure technical term) with anchors, and snaps to hook up and space out the decoys as we desire.
    All we used, as we can't get offshore fishing line around here, is a light weight, dark color, clothesline, and the crimps that you can buy for them. It was the cheapest and most effective way we could find, without buying the premade kits, that seemed a little expensive in my opinion.
    Best of luck, hope it works out for you.

could somebody post up a close up of a single decoy with line and weight like in the vid posted above?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

thumbnail.jpgKen just google search texas rig...

Man i hate posting pics with this new format!

Thats exactly how i do it.. I run the line threw the decoy fix the sinker at the bottom and have the decoy slide down, no swivles on the decoy no loop at the bottom where the wieght its like rig em right... Loop at top under decoy, up pick up decoy grab loop decoy slides down hands never wets!!!!!!!!!! Talk about picking up and throwing out FAST i can pick up 6 dozen in 15 mins!!!! No tangle and throw out 6 dozen in 5 mins if all weighted keel.

http://www.snlcorp.com/SNL/Other/DuckDecoyKit.aspx Like $35 plus shipping like $50 total and you can do 200 decoys i think!!
    Last edited by i_willie12; 08-01-2012 at 10:12 AM.
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/