RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Texas Style Decoy Rig

33K views 94 replies 39 participants last post by  DH 
#1 ·
Pro's and Con's to having the weight slide up and down the line??? I have seen it done both ways. Any reason not to rig one way or the other??

#39 ·
For those dealing with line memory issues, between hunts just hang the decoys up by the carabiner so that the line is straight & it will be straight. Just before I leave for a hunt, I just put the decoys in the decog bag with a half-hitch close to the decoys & I'm off. I also don't use swivels just crimps & I use either 200# or 300# mono (heavier for the longer lines over 4'). I do keep a dozen traditionally tied decoys with 20' of line in the barn for those rare occasions that I hunt the MS River or one of its oxbows if everything else is frozen up (rare in the Memphis area). But would never rig a decoy any other way than the Texas rig otherwise.

#40 ·
I bought (2) 12 rig sets and 2 vinyl coated bags from Doc's and could not be happier. The bags hold 12 standard size deeks securely and the vinyl is easy on the paint / don't hold water / and won't stink up your garage or basement. If you decide to make your own I highly recommend using the snap swivel set up. It allows the mono to move freely through the swivel eye and the egg sinker can be pegged so as to lessen the chance of the sinker banging into your deeks. The rigs can also be taken off the deeks easily if you need to go back to your old rigs for deeper water applications. Texas rigs are simply the easiest, most versatile rigs there are. Period.

Danny

#41 ·
I appreciate your input. The day I put this thread out I had received our package from SNL. I was really wanting to know what was the best way to rig these decoys. There was never a doubt that we were going with the Texas Rig. With SNL it was about 1/3 of the cost as the pre-packaged set.
My son and I spent about 1 1/2 hrs last night after work rigging the 3 doz decoys we have.
Our sinkers slide per your advice. Figure a guy that guides and has 80 dozen should have an idea about what he's talking about.
Can't wait to hunt over them.
We make one trip a year to Delaplaine, AR to hunt and we love it.
Take care and have a great season!

#42 ·
I've used both mono and tangle free line to Texas rig about 10 dozen decoys. Started with mono but ran out so I tried the other. If I had it to do over again I would do all mono. I can tell you that tangle free isn't really tangle free all the time as I spent about an hour "Untangling" a huge knot last year, but that was my stupid mistake. Once you see how easy it is to put out a couple dozen deec's in the morning and how quick you can pick them up you won't be disappointed.

#48 ·
That is a great site MooseGooser. The one thing that I would caution people about is the tag end. You won't have an issue with tangle free line but I've ripped the finger off of a brand new pair of $40 gloves with mono. line. Just glad it wasn't my finger. It's tough to get ris of those little ends.

#49 ·
I like this. I will be rigging my dekes up this way as soon as I get the line and crimps. Just a thought for folks wanting the option for deeper water... Why not make up a weight rig and put a swivel clip on one end to attach to the texas rig weight on the decoy to add length, Jim

#50 ·
Lots of good ideas so far and some that are just plain wrong when it comes to Texas rigs. I've tried every one of the things mentioned since I started experimenting with TR in 1999-2000. These are the things experience has taught me, I'll share and you do as you like. 400lb mono is the ONLY way to go, SNL is the best supplier I have found, bought long line gear from them back in the 80s and they always had the best gear at the best price. Tangle free is the worst thing you can use and weed eater line is not far behind. Fly over a decoy spread in clear water sometime and see how the decoys look like the're each standing on a stick when the line is black or green. Weights attached at the bottom of the line, not sliding on the line, works better over the long run. Egg weights can get smashed and bind on the line. If the whole line slides through the keel of the decoy you'll have less problems. 6ft is a good length overall, shorter on the teal decoys and longer on the divers is what I do. TR and decoy bags are not all that compatable. I use some of the Drake stand up bags, about 50 bucks apiece but the last couple of seasons I've bought some of those stand up leaf bags that are cheap and will last a couple of seasons. In my boats I use 55gal. drums cut in half and some big plastic planters that trees came planted in. just drop the decoys in in groups of a dozen clipped together on caribeaners, let the clips hang over the side. I hunt alone at least three days a week and typicaly set 6 dozen decoys, takes about 10-15 minutes to set and maybe 20 to pick up. for walk in hunts on the river I carry 2 dozen inflatable Feather-lite decoys in a mesh pack with 4ft TRs . Never wrap the line around the keel, and always store hanging from the loop! I never would have told any of this 5 years ago but it seems like most have heard about it now ,so no sense in everybody struggling to figure it out.

#52 · (Edited)
http://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-NiteIze-S-Biner/dp/B003UWI9FS

Buy a bunch of these as well. Click one to each d-ring on your waders and never take them off. Put the rest in your blind bag. The Texas rig system is almost useless if you have no way to clipping the loops together. I like the S-biner better than the regular caribiner. With one side clipped to your waders and the other holding the decoy lines, it free's up both hands when walking in the swamp which is always a plus. ;)

Danny

#53 ·
I spent about 2 hours removing all my old line and weights off of my dekes and couldn't help but think when I was doing it... what the heck was I thinking dealing with all the tangled lines and all the wrapped lines on the keels.. Can't wait for my mono and crimps to get here on the 9th.... Jim

#54 · (Edited)
Buy the bags from Doc's or make up your own with the hole in the bottom. It really make transporting and storing your deeks easy plus it protects them. I read somewhere that the slotted decoy bag offered at Rogers sporting goods ( http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/...ogers-6-slot-full-body-goose-decoy-bag--khaki) are fairly inexpensive and of good quality. Just cut the dividers out of the bag and cut a small hole in the bottom for the caribiner to go through and you're good to go. You can also clip the bag handles through the caribiner and carry over your shoulder that way.

Danny

#56 ·
The only negative that I can think of to the J weight is that the weights may hook to the other weights/lines on your dekes. I just changed 3 dozen decoys from the "traditional" style to the TR. I bought my set up online from SNL in Florida. We are pumped about getting to use them for the first time this season. Can only imagine at this point how it's going to speed things up.
Good luck.

#59 ·
I've used strap weights, J weights and egg sinkers.... the egg weights work best but the others are OK too. the trick is to make sure all your lines are exactly the same length so the decoys all set next to each other at the end of the line when they are all hooked up. A short decoy will work it's way into the other lines and cause a tangle. Even when tangled , the 400lb mono comes apart real easy, just grab the decoy and pull it out and the line and weight will follow with a shake or too.

#63 ·
so, I had a coopin from cabelas.
I ordered the rig um right do it yourself kit
and also a dozen 6oz egg weights. I don't know why, I have many many decoys weights.
So I now have 300' of 400 lb mono, 36 SS Swivels, 75 nickle plate brass crimps, 3 carabineers and the dozen egg weights.
it says I have enough hardwere for 3 dozen decoys with 8 foot lines. I am going to rig them so the swivel slides and I can clip it on the bottom of the inch ring on my herters decoys. I think. But why the egg weight?

#67 ·
I have two dozen right now. 1 dozen teal, through the keel, no clips. 1 dozen with clips that I can clip on my herters bottom O-ring or onto my canada goose floaters. I think this is the coolest part, cliping a new decoy onto the same rig. Only bleeding from one finger, at this time. Three dozen left. I'm gonna run out of crimps.

#68 ·
Always nice to learn. I learned this very simple version from an old duck club caretaker in Colusa many yeas ago. You can grab a dozen by the loop and and make a half hitch with the lines. They won't tangle if you have a good half hitch. Give em a toss by the loop.

All my decoys are stored per dozen. If you want to, you can wrap the lines for serious transport. (Second picture) I have not wrapped lines in years. No crimps, no swivels. simple. I have never tried the mono, but it would probably be a great addition. Thank's for sharing---gonna try the real deal (texas style)too.

#71 ·
Update for the "kit" I ordered with my coopin from cabelas.
Kit says it will make 3 dozen decoy rigs. I have rigged 42 decoys so far and have a lot of mono line left and 1 dozen of the large clips as well. I think this is because I rigged my teal decoys with no clips. So I just called and ordered a 150 pak of just the crimps. Using up the last of my coopin. I did order 1 dozen of the egg weights the first time. But have been using up all my old decoy weights since. And many I used the existing line I had on my decoys as it was the same as in the kit. And hanging them by carrabinner after made the line that was wrapped round the keel all year, straight again!!! This is great! Best RTF thread all summer! Thank You All!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.