RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Texas Style Decoy Rig

33K views 94 replies 39 participants last post by  DH 
#1 ·
Pro's and Con's to having the weight slide up and down the line??? I have seen it done both ways. Any reason not to rig one way or the other??

#3 ·
Only issue I've ever had with my T-rigs (Doc's Hunt'n Stuff) was when I hunted water deeper than the rig. If the weight isn't on the bottom the decoy is gonna get blown away by wind or current. But every decoy I hunt over is T-rigged because that is the ONLY problem I see with them. They are much easier IMO to put out and take up.

#4 ·
I run a guide and daily lease service in Arkansas and we deal with about 80 dozen decoys all of which are Texas rigged. We use sliding egg sinkers on the line, this allows the sinkers to slide to the keel and protects the paint during transport, with a couple of carabiners you can carry 8 doz decoys very easily. Also don't buy pre-made Texas rigs. Check out www.snlcorp.com. They are out of Florida and have the best bulk buys on rigging and weights I've found.

#5 ·
If you go with a store bought set up, I highly recommend these http://www.docshuntnstuff.com/ their lines have a loop on the end so when you are picking up all you have to do is pick the decoy up by the head and then snap the loop with your carabeener. Their decoy bags with the slot in the bottom is great for transporting decoys and very well made.

RD

#8 ·
I just switched all my decoys over last year to texas rigs, and it was the best thing I could ever do. It allowed me to set up more decoys when I wanted to use them and not take all night in the dark trying to get things put away out on the lake or pond. Now this year we are going to be hunting some deeper water, so we are making up some gang lines (not sure technical term) with anchors, and snaps to hook up and space out the decoys as we desire.
All we used, as we can't get offshore fishing line around here, is a light weight, dark color, clothesline, and the crimps that you can buy for them. It was the cheapest and most effective way we could find, without buying the premade kits, that seemed a little expensive in my opinion.
Best of luck, hope it works out for you.

#10 · (Edited)
Hardwood Wood Gadget Flooring Floor
Ken just google search texas rig...

Man i hate posting pics with this new format!:-x

Thats exactly how i do it.. I run the line threw the decoy fix the sinker at the bottom and have the decoy slide down, no swivles on the decoy no loop at the bottom where the wieght its like rig em right... Loop at top under decoy, up pick up decoy grab loop decoy slides down hands never wets!!!!!!!!!! Talk about picking up and throwing out FAST i can pick up 6 dozen in 15 mins!!!! No tangle and throw out 6 dozen in 5 mins if all weighted keel.

http://www.snlcorp.com/SNL/Other/DuckDecoyKit.aspx Like $35 plus shipping like $50 total and you can do 200 decoys i think!!

#12 ·
.. I run the line threw the decoy fix the sinker at the bottom and have the decoy slide down, no swivles on the decoy no loop at the bottom where the wieght its like rig em right... Loop at top under decoy, up pick up decoy grab loop decoy slides down hands never wets!!!!!!!!!!!
got it, what an I deer! and then you clip the loop on a big carabiner?

#13 · (Edited)
Yup run a dozen per clip (like $1 at walmart) Then i bought some of rogers cheap $25 full body goose decoy 6 slot bags and cut the dividers out of them and put about 4 dozen in each bag. With texas rig that is the only con.. cant throw in a bag! Some people dont bag them But i wanted mine in bags in the boat so im not walking all over them!!

http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/...ogers-6-slot-full-body-goose-decoy-bag--khaki

#14 ·
I just made the switch this summer and I'm happy with the results. There's a good article in last months Retriever Journal on how to do it. I used that combined with a couple of youtube videos to develop my own method. You can get pretty quick once you get in a grove. Drinking beer and watching dvr'd duck hunting from the Sportman's Channel helps.

#24 ·
For those I would get some of the heavier swivel clips for fishing, run the line through the swivel clip eye, then make the loop then snap swivel to decoys ring.... Be way eaiser and less of a headache than washers....

#16 ·
We did a few dozen probably 6-8 years ago with teh snlcorp stuff. They have worked well overall. Last year I did a couple dozen new decoys with the rig'em right kit. http://www.rigemright.com/shop/duck-decoy/diy-kit/rig-em-right-do-it-yourself-diy-kit.html I really liked this, but both this and the heavy mono from the other kits have memory created in the line as they sit which can be an issue if hunting shallow water. I hunt several places with water only a foot or two deep and even the 36" lines are really too long. I think I will rig some this year with the flexible tangle free cord so it will stay relaxed and sink down better in shallow water.

#17 ·
Ken, if you do them like what is shown in the link in my previous post, you could just clip them on to the 1" ring and the loop you hook to the other side is what you would reconnect to the caribener when done. The weight slides between the decoy and the caribener loop. Make sense?

#22 ·
I like the benefit of quick put-out and pick-up... but how well does this work for someone who walks a good distance, carrying a dog stand and all my own gear? Are they harder to carry than a traditional backpack style decoy bag?
i clip the caribeener to my waders D-ring then throw them over my shoulder and never look back. got 2 hand free to carry other stuff. after you get done hunting repeat. plus they wont be heavier from retaining water in the decoy bag. they are a bit loud when walking though

ken i used the rig em right and i'd def reccomend them if you have a small spread. everythings all done for you and in a kit. there's a loop on one end that is fatened to itself to keep the weight from sliding off. the other end has a big large swivel to attach to a keel hole or what have you.

they have 36,54, and 60 inch models. any more than that and you'd be dragging if your walking. if not walking i'd suspect you could make em as long as you wanted. i always store mine hanging up by the carribeaner so the line wont get memory in it and curl up

#20 ·
How long can you make the line before it becomes a problem (10-12')? any ideas on how to store them in a boat with this much line?I have been wanting to run t-rigs for years but cant figure out a way to keep them un-tangled.I like the idea of fixing the weight and line slides threw decoy keel! I will use tangle free line as well. I need my decoys to be versatile I hunt water from 1'-to sometimes 15'.

#21 ·
I bought a melting pot and a 4oz mold. Then I use the tangle proof line and crimps. I used swivels the first year but they break when u pick up and put out every day. It's a lot cheaper than buying them premade. Get a do-it mold and haggle the tire shops for old weights. I attach the line directly to the decoy and my loop is on the bottom. Only way to rig no matter if you decide to buy them or make em

#27 · (Edited)
I have carried 8 dozen at one time 4 dozen over each shoulder, it aint eazy, but you can do it. Most of our lines are 30 inches, we keep our fields flooded very shallow and this gives a good length for movement.

Also for goodness sake don't use the tanglefree vinyl cord, it seems ok but when it gets cold it will break very easily. Use the 400# test mono, your rigs will last for seasons.

#29 ·
I have carried 8 dozen at one time 4 dozen over each shoulder, it aint eazy, but you can do it. Most of our lines are 30 inches, we keep our fields flooded very shallow and this gives a good length for movement.

Also for goodness sake don't use the tanglefree vinyl cord, it seems ok but when it gets cold it will break very easily. Use the 400# test mono, your rigs will last for seasons.

this man speaks the truth! had a brand new set of ACE decoy anchors on 3 dozen decoys with pvc/vinyl cord it was about 28-32 degrees start tossing decoys out and hearing 2 splashes way aways from each other after every throw. one was the decoy hitting the water the other was the decoy line and anchor sailing 10 feet past the decoys. that stuff is brittle in cold weather like you wouldnt believe

#31 ·
I found a giant roll of weedeater line at a garage sale and set some of mine up with it, but found that 200# mono works just as well and is more flexible and does not break. I don't use swivels just crimps.

#32 ·
#34 ·
#36 ·
For those of you with longer cords, and for anyone else wanting to keep them from tangling while in transport, grasp the lines near the decoys and make a half hitch in the lines forming a loop. Snug the knot down near the dekes and carry them by the loop. This keep them from spinning around and tangling with each other. When not in use, hang them from the carabiners to help work out the memory in the line. I've never seen it make a difference to the birds when the small coils stick above the water. I hunted last season in the same pond with water litte more than ankle deep and had the lines sticking up all over, shot limits everytime. I use #200 mono bought in bulk and make up my own weights.
I would also recommend not using the Tanglefree brand cord. It's too limber and the weights don't slide well on it. Can't speak to how it acts in real cold conditions but I did rig several dozen teal with it a few years ago and it was a nighmare to work with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.