The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas Style Decoy Rig

Best shallow water rig there is especially if you hunt alone
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by i_willie12 View Post
    .. I run the line threw the decoy fix the sinker at the bottom and have the decoy slide down, no swivles on the decoy no loop at the bottom where the wieght its like rig em right... Loop at top under decoy, up pick up decoy grab loop decoy slides down hands never wets!!!!!!!!!!!
    got it, what an I deer! and then you clip the loop on a big carabiner?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Yup run a dozen per clip (like $1 at walmart) Then i bought some of rogers cheap $25 full body goose decoy 6 slot bags and cut the dividers out of them and put about 4 dozen in each bag. With texas rig that is the only con.. cant throw in a bag! Some people dont bag them But i wanted mine in bags in the boat so im not walking all over them!!

http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/1...coy-bag--khaki
    Last edited by i_willie12; 08-01-2012 at 10:42 AM.
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

I just made the switch this summer and I'm happy with the results. There's a good article in last months Retriever Journal on how to do it. I used that combined with a couple of youtube videos to develop my own method. You can get pretty quick once you get in a grove. Drinking beer and watching dvr'd duck hunting from the Sportman's Channel helps.

my decoys are Herters solid core, just have the 1 inch ring on the bottom. Do you put a washer up at your top loop to keep the loop from going through the ring?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

We did a few dozen probably 6-8 years ago with teh snlcorp stuff. They have worked well overall. Last year I did a couple dozen new decoys with the rig'em right kit. http://www.rigemright.com/shop/duck-...f-diy-kit.html I really liked this, but both this and the heavy mono from the other kits have memory created in the line as they sit which can be an issue if hunting shallow water. I hunt several places with water only a foot or two deep and even the 36" lines are really too long. I think I will rig some this year with the flexible tangle free cord so it will stay relaxed and sink down better in shallow water.
    TRAVIS SKEEN

Ken, if you do them like what is shown in the link in my previous post, you could just clip them on to the 1" ring and the loop you hook to the other side is what you would reconnect to the caribener when done. The weight slides between the decoy and the caribener loop. Make sense?
    TRAVIS SKEEN

I'm switching over this season..
    Redstars Hayseed Bo ..... "Butch"

I like the benefit of quick put-out and pick-up... but how well does this work for someone who walks a good distance, carrying a dog stand and all my own gear? Are they harder to carry than a traditional backpack style decoy bag?

How long can you make the line before it becomes a problem (10-12')? any ideas on how to store them in a boat with this much line?I have been wanting to run t-rigs for years but cant figure out a way to keep them un-tangled.I like the idea of fixing the weight and line slides threw decoy keel! I will use tangle free line as well. I need my decoys to be versatile I hunt water from 1'-to sometimes 15'.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "