The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas Style Decoy Rig

I bought a melting pot and a 4oz mold. Then I use the tangle proof line and crimps. I used swivels the first year but they break when u pick up and put out every day. It's a lot cheaper than buying them premade. Get a do-it mold and haggle the tire shops for old weights. I attach the line directly to the decoy and my loop is on the bottom. Only way to rig no matter if you decide to buy them or make em

Quote Originally Posted by bcraley View Post
    I like the benefit of quick put-out and pick-up... but how well does this work for someone who walks a good distance, carrying a dog stand and all my own gear? Are they harder to carry than a traditional backpack style decoy bag?
    i clip the caribeener to my waders D-ring then throw them over my shoulder and never look back. got 2 hand free to carry other stuff. after you get done hunting repeat. plus they wont be heavier from retaining water in the decoy bag. they are a bit loud when walking though

ken i used the rig em right and i'd def reccomend them if you have a small spread. everythings all done for you and in a kit. there's a loop on one end that is fatened to itself to keep the weight from sliding off. the other end has a big large swivel to attach to a keel hole or what have you.

they have 36,54, and 60 inch models. any more than that and you'd be dragging if your walking. if not walking i'd suspect you could make em as long as you wanted. i always store mine hanging up by the carribeaner so the line wont get memory in it and curl up

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    i clip the caribeener to my waders D-ring then throw them over my shoulder and never look back. got 2 hand free to carry other stuff. after you get done hunting repeat. plus they wont be heavier from retaining water in the decoy bag. they are a bit loud when walking though
    How many can you comfortably carry at a time while also carrying a dog stand and gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    my decoys are Herters solid core, just have the 1 inch ring on the bottom. Do you put a washer up at your top loop to keep the loop from going through the ring?
    For those I would get some of the heavier swivel clips for fishing, run the line through the swivel clip eye, then make the loop then snap swivel to decoys ring.... Be way eaiser and less of a headache than washers....
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn White View Post
    How long can you make the line before it becomes a problem (10-12')? any ideas on how to store them in a boat with this much line?I have been wanting to run t-rigs for years but cant figure out a way to keep them un-tangled.I like the idea of fixing the weight and line slides threw decoy keel! I will use tangle free line as well. I need my decoys to be versatile I hunt water from 1'-to sometimes 15'.
    You're kind of screwed in my opinion if you want your lines that long. I am sure that there is a good way to store them with that long of a line though. But they are called texas rig for a reason, texas is very shallow -- playa lakes and hunting the coast is 1' to 2' mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by bcraley View Post
    How many can you comfortably carry at a time while also carrying a dog stand and gun?
    me being a fat, lazy timberhunter that may walk a mile. i'd rather carry 6 or 12. i have carried 2 dozen for a .25 mile no fun. but we also have the 54" models so their weights are a little heavier than the 36"

a lean young gun could probably carry 3 dozen but i wouldnt have him holding more than just decoys and dog stand. i'd carry his gun for him just to be safe in case he trips and it plunges into the mud

I have carried 8 dozen at one time 4 dozen over each shoulder, it aint eazy, but you can do it. Most of our lines are 30 inches, we keep our fields flooded very shallow and this gives a good length for movement.

Also for goodness sake don't use the tanglefree vinyl cord, it seems ok but when it gets cold it will break very easily. Use the 400# test mono, your rigs will last for seasons.
    Last edited by duckbusta; 08-01-2012 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Seitzer View Post
    You're kind of screwed in my opinion if you want your lines that long. I am sure that there is a good way to store them with that long of a line though. But they are called texas rig for a reason, texas is very shallow -- playa lakes and hunting the coast is 1' to 2' mostly.
    I agree that's why I haven't went to the T rig yet.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by duckbusta View Post
    I have carried 8 dozen at one time 4 dozen over each shoulder, it aint eazy, but you can do it. Most of our lines are 30 inches, we keep our fields flooded very shallow and this gives a good length for movement.

Also for goodness sake don't use the tanglefree vinyl cord, it seems ok but when it gets cold it will break very easily. Use the 400# test mono, your rigs will last for seasons.

this man speaks the truth! had a brand new set of ACE decoy anchors on 3 dozen decoys with pvc/vinyl cord it was about 28-32 degrees start tossing decoys out and hearing 2 splashes way aways from each other after every throw. one was the decoy hitting the water the other was the decoy line and anchor sailing 10 feet past the decoys. that stuff is brittle in cold weather like you wouldnt believe

I use weed eater cord on my Texas rigs. It won't break and won't knot up on you