The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas Style Decoy Rig

Quote Originally Posted by Tnken View Post
    I use weed eater cord on my Texas rigs. It won't break and won't knot up on you
    I found a giant roll of weedeater line at a garage sale and set some of mine up with it, but found that 200# mono works just as well and is more flexible and does not break. I don't use swivels just crimps.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Ken!!!

I found this link..
    Perty much shows the set up.

http://www.txwaterfowler.com/html_pa...xas_rigged.htm

I need a set a new decoys,,, then I is gonna do this!!

No more gettin tangled and fallin in at 4;00 A.M fer me!!)

Blue ball regards:

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by i_willie12 View Post
    For those I would get some of the heavier swivel clips for fishing, run the line through the swivel clip eye, then make the loop then snap swivel to decoys ring.... Be way eaiser and less of a headache than washers....
    I understand

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    Ken!!!

I found this link..
    Perty much shows the set up.

http://www.txwaterfowler.com/html_pa...xas_rigged.htm

I need a set a new decoys,,, then I is gonna do this!!

No more gettin tangled and fallin in at 4;00 A.M fer me!!)

Blue ball regards:

Gooser

Gooser, I love you Man!
    I get it.
    gonna do my set of teal and wood duck decoys first as I hunt them in less than 3 foot deep water.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

I use the tangle free line with thier weights. I like it. i have used it for 5 years now and I put the decoys in leaf bags. my lines are about 6 foot.

the line more rubbery then plastic.
    http://www.tanglefree.com/products/d...ree-decoy-line

Sooooo glad for this thread! Thank you! Thank you!

For those of you with longer cords, and for anyone else wanting to keep them from tangling while in transport, grasp the lines near the decoys and make a half hitch in the lines forming a loop. Snug the knot down near the dekes and carry them by the loop. This keep them from spinning around and tangling with each other. When not in use, hang them from the carabiners to help work out the memory in the line. I've never seen it make a difference to the birds when the small coils stick above the water. I hunted last season in the same pond with water litte more than ankle deep and had the lines sticking up all over, shot limits everytime. I use #200 mono bought in bulk and make up my own weights.
    I would also recommend not using the Tanglefree brand cord. It's too limber and the weights don't slide well on it. Can't speak to how it acts in real cold conditions but I did rig several dozen teal with it a few years ago and it was a nighmare to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    gonna do my set of teal and wood duck decoys first as I hunt them in less than 3 foot deep water.
    ONce you do it and hunt over them once you will go home and do the rest of your decoys!!

We just texas rig all our goose floaters that we leave at our pit blind!! Got sick and tired of wrapping line.. we leave the decoys at the pit so we just pick them and leave them there No wet hands!!! wouldnt work if we didnt leave them there but they go to the blind in october and stay there till Feb
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

What type, style or part number are you using for the crimp sleeves ?

thanks
    Dave
    canine n. Synonymous with courage, valor, trust, selflessness. If we learned to be half of what dogs are, the world would be a much better place

For those dealing with line memory issues, between hunts just hang the decoys up by the carabiner so that the line is straight & it will be straight. Just before I leave for a hunt, I just put the decoys in the decog bag with a half-hitch close to the decoys & I'm off. I also don't use swivels just crimps & I use either 200# or 300# mono (heavier for the longer lines over 4'). I do keep a dozen traditionally tied decoys with 20' of line in the barn for those rare occasions that I hunt the MS River or one of its oxbows if everything else is frozen up (rare in the Memphis area). But would never rig a decoy any other way than the Texas rig otherwise.
    David Didier, GA

I bought (2) 12 rig sets and 2 vinyl coated bags from Doc's and could not be happier. The bags hold 12 standard size deeks securely and the vinyl is easy on the paint / don't hold water / and won't stink up your garage or basement. If you decide to make your own I highly recommend using the snap swivel set up. It allows the mono to move freely through the swivel eye and the egg sinker can be pegged so as to lessen the chance of the sinker banging into your deeks. The rigs can also be taken off the deeks easily if you need to go back to your old rigs for deeper water applications. Texas rigs are simply the easiest, most versatile rigs there are. Period.

Danny