The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas Style Decoy Rig

I appreciate your input. The day I put this thread out I had received our package from SNL. I was really wanting to know what was the best way to rig these decoys. There was never a doubt that we were going with the Texas Rig. With SNL it was about 1/3 of the cost as the pre-packaged set.
    My son and I spent about 1 1/2 hrs last night after work rigging the 3 doz decoys we have.
    Our sinkers slide per your advice. Figure a guy that guides and has 80 dozen should have an idea about what he's talking about.
    Can't wait to hunt over them.
    We make one trip a year to Delaplaine, AR to hunt and we love it.
    Take care and have a great season!

I've used both mono and tangle free line to Texas rig about 10 dozen decoys. Started with mono but ran out so I tried the other. If I had it to do over again I would do all mono. I can tell you that tangle free isn't really tangle free all the time as I spent about an hour "Untangling" a huge knot last year, but that was my stupid mistake. Once you see how easy it is to put out a couple dozen deec's in the morning and how quick you can pick them up you won't be disappointed.
    You Miss 100% Of The Shots You Don't Take

Duckbusta: My reply was to you. For some reason I can't send a private message.
    Thanks for your input! It was very helpful. What is the name of your guide service??

Shawn,

Check your PM's

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shawn shannon View Post
    Duckbusta: My reply was to you. For some reason I can't send a private message.
    Thanks for your input! It was very helpful. What is the name of your guide service??
    I THINK you need at least 10 posts before you can send a pm.
    Put that in your pipe and smoke it

This might be overkill,, but I have learned a bunch about crimped sleves and Monofiliment

http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtech...echniques.html
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 08-03-2012 at 01:16 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

very good link Gooser, thank you!
    this is the power of the RTF right here I tell ya.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

That is a great site MooseGooser. The one thing that I would caution people about is the tag end. You won't have an issue with tangle free line but I've ripped the finger off of a brand new pair of $40 gloves with mono. line. Just glad it wasn't my finger. It's tough to get ris of those little ends.
    You Miss 100% Of The Shots You Don't Take

I like this. I will be rigging my dekes up this way as soon as I get the line and crimps. Just a thought for folks wanting the option for deeper water... Why not make up a weight rig and put a swivel clip on one end to attach to the texas rig weight on the decoy to add length, Jim
    The mightiest oak was once a small nut that stood its ground

Lots of good ideas so far and some that are just plain wrong when it comes to Texas rigs. I've tried every one of the things mentioned since I started experimenting with TR in 1999-2000. These are the things experience has taught me, I'll share and you do as you like. 400lb mono is the ONLY way to go, SNL is the best supplier I have found, bought long line gear from them back in the 80s and they always had the best gear at the best price. Tangle free is the worst thing you can use and weed eater line is not far behind. Fly over a decoy spread in clear water sometime and see how the decoys look like the're each standing on a stick when the line is black or green. Weights attached at the bottom of the line, not sliding on the line, works better over the long run. Egg weights can get smashed and bind on the line. If the whole line slides through the keel of the decoy you'll have less problems. 6ft is a good length overall, shorter on the teal decoys and longer on the divers is what I do. TR and decoy bags are not all that compatable. I use some of the Drake stand up bags, about 50 bucks apiece but the last couple of seasons I've bought some of those stand up leaf bags that are cheap and will last a couple of seasons. In my boats I use 55gal. drums cut in half and some big plastic planters that trees came planted in. just drop the decoys in in groups of a dozen clipped together on caribeaners, let the clips hang over the side. I hunt alone at least three days a week and typicaly set 6 dozen decoys, takes about 10-15 minutes to set and maybe 20 to pick up. for walk in hunts on the river I carry 2 dozen inflatable Feather-lite decoys in a mesh pack with 4ft TRs . Never wrap the line around the keel, and always store hanging from the loop! I never would have told any of this 5 years ago but it seems like most have heard about it now ,so no sense in everybody struggling to figure it out.