The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas Style Decoy Rig

What weight egg sinkers is everyone using?
    We'll get there, so I'll be damned if I ain't going to enjoy every step of the way!

Gold Eagle's Twisted Arrow (Maggie)

I don't hunt anywhere with currents so my weights vary between 6oz and 8oz

so, I had a coopin from cabelas.
    I ordered the rig um right do it yourself kit
    and also a dozen 6oz egg weights. I don't know why, I have many many decoys weights.
    So I now have 300' of 400 lb mono, 36 SS Swivels, 75 nickle plate brass crimps, 3 carabineers and the dozen egg weights.
    it says I have enough hardwere for 3 dozen decoys with 8 foot lines. I am going to rig them so the swivel slides and I can clip it on the bottom of the inch ring on my herters decoys. I think. But why the egg weight?

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by i_willie12 View Post
    Attachment 8210Ken just google search texas rig...

Man i hate posting pics with this new format!

Thats exactly how i do it.. I run the line threw the decoy fix the sinker at the bottom and have the decoy slide down, no swivles on the decoy no loop at the bottom where the wieght its like rig em right... Loop at top under decoy, up pick up decoy grab loop decoy slides down hands never wets!!!!!!!!!! Talk about picking up and throwing out FAST i can pick up 6 dozen in 15 mins!!!! No tangle and throw out 6 dozen in 5 mins if all weighted keel.!
    I think this is how I am leaning. fixed weight, decoy slides. But on swivel snapped to herters bottom O ring. I still would like to know why I bought the egg weights.?? how would the weight slide, if I chose it to, with the decoy I own?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Person View Post
    I spent about 2 hours removing all my old line and weights off of my dekes and couldn't help but think when I was doing it... what the heck was I thinking dealing with all the tangled lines and all the wrapped lines on the keels.. Can't wait for my mono and crimps to get here on the 9th.... Jim
    Jim, did you get your cramps and mono yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    Jim, did you get your cramps and mono yet?
    Yup.. Got 3 dozen rigged already. Got some with 4' and some with 5'.
    The mightiest oak was once a small nut that stood its ground

I have two dozen right now. 1 dozen teal, through the keel, no clips. 1 dozen with clips that I can clip on my herters bottom O-ring or onto my canada goose floaters. I think this is the coolest part, cliping a new decoy onto the same rig. Only bleeding from one finger, at this time. Three dozen left. I'm gonna run out of crimps.

Always nice to learn. I learned this very simple version from an old duck club caretaker in Colusa many yeas ago. You can grab a dozen by the loop and and make a half hitch with the lines. They won't tangle if you have a good half hitch. Give em a toss by the loop.

All my decoys are stored per dozen. If you want to, you can wrap the lines for serious transport. (Second picture) I have not wrapped lines in years. No crimps, no swivels. simple. I have never tried the mono, but it would probably be a great addition. Thank's for sharing---gonna try the real deal (texas style)too.

John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mikebosmans View Post
    I don't use egg sinkers, go with bank sinkers in 4oz for dead water.
    Here's how I rig um only with a bank sinker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbOz-dgp_UU

http://cheapsinkers.com/4-OZ-BANK-SI...-4BANK-5LB.htm
    Last edited by 43x; 09-13-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebosmans View Post
    Lightest ones you can get away with. For rice, I use three ounces, deep water delta current, 10 ounces.
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold