The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Texas Style Decoy Rig

Update for the "kit" I ordered with my coopin from cabelas.
    Kit says it will make 3 dozen decoy rigs. I have rigged 42 decoys so far and have a lot of mono line left and 1 dozen of the large clips as well. I think this is because I rigged my teal decoys with no clips. So I just called and ordered a 150 pak of just the crimps. Using up the last of my coopin. I did order 1 dozen of the egg weights the first time. But have been using up all my old decoy weights since. And many I used the existing line I had on my decoys as it was the same as in the kit. And hanging them by carrabinner after made the line that was wrapped round the keel all year, straight again!!! This is great! Best RTF thread all summer! Thank You All!!!!!!!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Here is how I rig mine !

HRCH Fat Daddy Cash MH
    HR Tonka's Rebel Yell JH

I'm done
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Ken, did you have your waterfowl opener yet? How do you like the new set up?

Danny
    Last edited by DSO; 10-09-2012 at 03:55 PM.

this Saturday the 13th is first day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    this Saturday the 13th is first day.
    Yup, us too. I think you're really going to like how it works. Let us know.

don't forget the carabiner regards...

Danny

wished our opener was a bit later than it was this year. Ours opened on the Oct 8th. Plenty of geese around but ducks are few and far between right now. Waiting for a cold front or 2 to get them moving down..BTW got 4 dozen all rigged and ready... Jim
    The mightiest oak was once a small nut that stood its ground

I really like the macks set.

Quote Originally Posted by DSO View Post
    Yup, us too. I think you're really going to like how it works. Let us know.

don't forget the carabiner regards...

Danny
    So,
    My update on the Texas rigged….
    WOW!!!!!!
    But?
    Saturday to today, the first 5 days of the Lake Champlain Split I was out every morning. I am just in and sitting down at the desk.
    Day 1, Opening day. I only brought a dozen Teal decoys. Opening day the ducks do not decoy much, just run for their lives! I tossed them out in front of my blind in water I have walked in many times. It took less than 5 minutes. And to my surprise, after the walk in, they were not tangled up with each other. I did tie all the lines in a simple knot to keep the cluster close and tossed them over a shoulder and walked in. I was Awestruck! WOW!!!! Pick up was a breeze as well
    Day 2, Sunday. Had the day off and wanted a big spread. Bagged the decoys as shown in one of the videos in this thread. Slip the carabineer and all lines through a hole in the bottom of a decoy bag and slide all the decoys into the bag. Most all of my decoy bags had a hole or two in the bottom already so no modification of equipment was necessary. Stacked 4 one dozen bags of decoys on my 2-wheel cart and walked in. Again set up was stunningly easy. My Brother and I were flinging them out with ease. All 4 dozen out in 10 minutes with the two of us tossing. We got to start playing on furthest toss. Those things can travel.
    Sunday pick up sucked the big weenie of life!
    In our fun filled morning tossing, unlike opening day were I tossed only in a spot I had waded in for years. We hucked um far and wide!!! Into places I had not waded into. When I had set decoys by wading for the past 30 years I had walked to the spot I wanted the decoy. Unwrapped the anchor and line from around the keel and placed it into the water. So on day 2 when it came time to pick up we quickly found it was very difficult to get to some of the decoys. I got seriously stuck a couple times and thought my end was near. Also my Brother is sure he bruised a rib while laughing at me. I was the only one with chest waders.
    Day 3, Monday. After rummaging through the gear I locater my Cabelas, retractable decoy retrieving hook and added it to the 2-wheel cart. And was a bit more mindful when tossing. Pick up much easier and no near-death experiences. Brother miffed as he brought a camera for stuck Ken photo opp.
    Tuesday and today, No issues, I love um. Wouldn’t rig um any other way. I recommend. Just be mindful of were you toss. Years ago my mentors the Bordo’s in Quebec would teach decoy pick up on command to the dogs. Loco is going to now learn decoy pick up.
    Thank You all who contributed to this thread. You have changed the way I waterfowl hunt.
    The Power of the RTF!

A little late to the conversation but the Doc's Hunting Stuff rigs are a really good design concept with the rigs and two choices of bags. regular and magnum. Check them out at docshuntingstuff.com I personally use all of the rigs available and they work great. Especially when hunting or training by yourself.