The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Scatter Creek Club

Default Scatter Creek Club

I have judged for quite a few clubs over the years, and while all judging assignments are gruelling, some are more enjoyable than others. I have to give huge kudos to Jeff Bartlett and his Scatter Creek crew where I judged this last weekend. Jeff was determined to make this work so he worked hard to get all his ducks in a row. Probably the most important part is having good help and with Ronaldo, Joel and Larry Jeff had the best. Great bird throwers, well organized equipment, everyone showing up early ready to work, no complaining, wonderful grounds (Thank you Pat Little!), and even the weather was a perfect low 70s every day.

The Trial atmosphere seemed to put the contestants in a good mood for even when major problems developed in the last test of our Am late Sunday, every handler was gracious, understanding and anxious to try the test. It was definitely one of my most enjoyable judging assignments and I will make the long drive to run that trial next year.

John

very cool to see a club have a great first field trial.
    and to hear Jeff put shoulder to the wheel and nose to the grindstone.
    some folk think it is easy to put on a trial
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

I forgot to mention the feed they put on Saturday night, shrimp boil with potatoes, sausage and corn on the cob, oysters in the shell cooked over coals, salmon grilled, king crab legs, salads, desserts and very nice baked beans. Plus Jeff cooked a hot lunch and brought it out to every worker each day, barbequed chicken, gourmet hamburgers and slow cooked beef brisket the three days.

Jeff,

You stop that hot lunch program! You are spoiling the help. Our Sub-way sandwiches in California pale by comparison.

And that Saturday night dinner! Eeeegads, never heard of such a spread at a field trial. You have certainly raised the bar.

Helen

Thanks to the Judges also. Most had a long drive to get there. Great set ups.

Thanks for kind words john. It sounds like next trial will be a lot better with
    Better food and we wiil have mechanics down to a tee. I did notice that the contestant
    Atmosphere was better than I've ever seen it everyone was on there best behavior.
    Good weekend see ya in spring

Some of the best food I have eaten in a while!