The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Is This Voter Disenfranchisement??

Default Is This Voter Disenfranchisement??

Obama Campaign Sues to Restrict Military Voting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Mike Flynn 2 Aug 2012 638post a comment

President Barack Obama, along with many Democrats, likes to say that, while they may disagree with the GOP on many issues related to national security, they absolutely share their admiration and dedication to members of our armed forces. Obama, in particular, enjoys being seen visiting troops and having photos taken with members of our military. So, why is his campaign and the Democrat party suing to restrict their ability to vote in the upcoming election?
    On July 17th, the Obama for America Campaign, the Democratic National Committee, and the Ohio Democratic Party filed suit in OH to strike down part of that state's law governing voting by members of the military. Their suit said that part of the law is "arbitrary" with "no discernible rational basis."

Currently, Ohio allows the public to vote early in-person up until the Friday before the election. Members of the military are given three extra days to do so. While the Democrats may see this as "arbitrary" and having "no discernible rational basis," I think it is entirely reasonable given the demands on servicemen and women's time and their obligations to their sworn duty.

The National Defense Committee reports:

[f]or each of the last three years, the Department of Defense’s Federal Voting Assistance Program has reported to the President and the Congress that the number one reason for military voter disenfranchisement is inadequate time to successfully vote.

I think it's unconscionable that we as a nation wouldn't make it as easy as possible for members of the military to vote. They arguably have more right to vote than the rest of us, since it is their service and sacrifice that ensures we have the right to vote in the first place.

If anyone proposes legislation to combat voter fraud, Democrats will loudly scream that the proposal could "disenfranchise" some voter, somewhere. We must ensure, they argue, that voting is easy and accessible to every single voter. Every voter, that is, except the men and women of our military.

Make no mistake, the Democrat lawsuit is intended to disenfranchise some unknown number of military voters. The judge should reject it with prejudice.
    I can't wait to hear the "SPIN" on this.
    I am sure there is a reason why military personell should not vote.

Although the leftys here are dodging me pretty good as of late.

Maybe cause that's what 2 former poster here tell them to do on facebook??
    Last edited by road kill; 08-03-2012 at 10:28 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

I have read this is other places and it reads different. It is supposed to give everyone the extra 3 days back, not take it away. Odd to find it different ways...
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

Wonder why Obama wants to make it more difficult for the military to cast their vote. He must be shaking in his boots. Nothing like ticking of the military right before an election....way to go
    Last edited by gmhr1; 08-03-2012 at 01:50 PM.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

I thought the military voted for Ron Paul
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Help me understand this.

"Currently, Ohio allows the public to vote early in-person up until the Friday before the election. Members of the military are given three extra days to do so."

So, I'm in the military and I want to vote early. Using this year's date for the election of November 6, that would mean that early voting cuts off on November 2. So, as a military member, I could vote early until November 5...right? What's the issue? There's no indication that this applies to absentee ballots.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Although the leftys here are dodging me pretty good as of late.

Maybe cause that's what 2 former poster here tell them to do on facebook??
    Are you getting a little paranoid RK? I mean facebook? Really? Facebook? I mean now...? Cigar-smoking, motorcycle riding, weight-lifting, SF bulls-eye wearin' goatee's
    ultra he-men follow facebook? I am disappointed, but not surprised. just sayin, JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    Are you getting a little paranoid RK? I mean facebook? Really? Facebook? I mean now...? Cigar-smoking, motorcycle riding, weight-lifting, SF bulls-eye wearin' goatee's
    ultra he-men follow facebook? I am disappointed, but not surprised. just sayin, JD

Now I am REALLY paranoid.........

Every morning when I get up, I light a cigar, check facebook, ride the motorcycle to the gym, put on my bull's eye t-shirt (don't have a goatee JD) and pray that my day will meet with JDoggers approval.
    Now I find it may not.

I just don't know if I can bear the chagrin............
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Now I am REALLY paranoid.........

Every morning when I get up, I light a cigar, check facebook, ride the motorcycle to the gym, put on my bull's eye t-shirt (don't have a goatee JD) and pray that my day will meet with JDoggers approval.
    Now I find it may not.

I just don't know if I can bear the chagrin............
    The journey begins with first small steps
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Like just about everything else we hear from the Romney campaign, this is a flat out lie. But when you have nothing to run on that's what you do, you lie and you create false controversies.

From ABC News - http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blog...-politics.html

A series of laws passed in the past year by Ohio's Republican state legislature and Gov. John Kasich have waived the last three days of in-person early voting before Election Day for all but members of the military. Civilians now have until Friday, Nov. 2,to cast those ballots and must arrive at the booth before 6 p.m.Republicans faulted the extra time for civilians as too costly for local governments and prone to fraud and abuse. Meanwhile, service members were exempt from the restrictions, allowing them to vote at any time before polls close, an extra three days without restrictions.
    As previously reported by ABC News, the Obama campaign sued the Buckeye State last month to block those laws from taking effect, restoring weekend voting as it was in 2008. Democrats say those last days before Nov. 6give a crucial extra cushion for Americans who might not have had the opportunity to enter the voting booth in the days prior. If the challenge is successful, they say, military voters would not see any difference in their rights.
    So this is simple right, Republicans cut off three days of voting for everyone, except the military - the Obama Administration has sued to restore those days for everyone - including the military.That's all, that's it. You can't get from there to ...
    f President Obama gets his way, the special voting rights of some of America’s finest will be eliminated,

Republicans want to win an election by disenfranchising voters and at the same time claim that this is what Democrats are doing to our "nations finest."

Freaking liars... How do you tell that Romney is lying? His lips are moving.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by gmhr1 View Post
    I have read this story two different ways one Obama wants to make the military like everyone else take away the 3 days extra that the military get , the other that he wants to let everyone have the 3 extra days. Obama will do whats best for him, not whats best for us. Maybe we should ask Harry Reid we can depend on him telling the truth

The thing is, everyone was originally treated the same. Then they took 3 absentee voting days away from the general citizen while leaving them in place for the military personal. The suit is to get those days back for everyone, and somehow to Mittens, this is disenfranchising the military.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)