RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Opinions on next step

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Magnum 
#1 ·
4 1/2 month old lab that will sit on command, stay(most of the time), retreive, shake hands ;). So what next?? I've read through a bunch of threads and looks like most of you are going to tell me to start going by a specific training tech. Which one is the best??? This dog will be used for just hunting, no field trials. Thanks!

#3 ·
Oh forgot to mention. The last 2 days I have been working on doubles with him. He always goes after the memory bird first and comes back. I send him for the second bumper(after a few arm movements) and he goes and gets it. This dog seems to be smart and handles training really well. I do not want to mess up on him though. This is my first time training a dog.

#5 ·
The three most talked about training programs on the RTF are:
Total Retriever Training 2d ed by Mike Lardy plus his Total Retriever Marking
Smartworks by Evan Graham
Fowldogs by Rick Stowarski (sp?)

I use TRT. Some first time trainers find Smartworks easier to follow. Fowldogs is the cheapest I believe. Which is the best can lead to lots of personal opinions. Pick one and follow it. There are some puppy programs that are available also:
Training a Retriever Puppy by Bill Hillman
Smart Beginnings by Jackie Mertens

This topic has been written about lots on the RTF. For additional information you might do a search.

#7 ·
Find a person/persons in your area to train with (field work), or a local Retriever club. People that train alone tend to have dogs that will not hunt out any further than you can throw a bumper.
An obedience class would probably help with initial training, so that the dog learns to focus on your commands.
Take your time with all of the training and don't rush though the various steps.
It helps ALOT if the person(s) you train with are very experienced.
Good Luck

#8 ·
No, you have not messed up. At least you have been doing something with your dog. I have taken in lots of dogs with less training at an older age and they have gone on to be good retrievers. However, it is time to get on a program.

#10 ·
Regardless of whether or not you're are going to run tests or trials, train the dog to its highest potential. I see this comment about not running tests/trials much to often. The training is the same whether you are running competitively or just hunting the dog.

#14 ·
Ordered Fowl Dawgs and it should get here today. Ready to get started into the real training. This pup acts like he has great potential! Really pays attention to me when we are one on one. But this is my first time so I'm going to take it slow and easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.