The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sabotage

Default Sabotage

Just for fun, does anyone have good stories of family or friends sabotaging your training efforts?
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Yes, It goes like this. "Don't make any training plans for a certain date as it is our anniversary" or finish training early as we are expected for dinner at the Stevens by 6:30" or "The lawn needs mowing." (lol)

Years ago I kept duck decoys in the yard and ran the dogs through and around them during various drills, so the dogs would get used to them and ignore them.
    It worked fine, but months later I learned that my 4 year old apprentice dog trainer daughter would throw the decoys for the dogs to retrieve while I was at work.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
    Yes, It goes like this. "Don't make any training plans for a certain date as it is our anniversary" or finish training early as we are expected for dinner at the Stevens by 6:30" or "The lawn needs mowing." (lol)
    With me more like don't make plans unless you ask first. Missed a few good training days and tests when I was in HRC. No way to get out of family stuff. They also call at times you least expect and what do you do!!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Does standing behind you giving the opposite cast as you count?

Or a "hey hey" from the flyer blind...while the dog was running the under the arc blind after said flyer...during a test... (dog ignored it...thankfully he was a one person dog when it came to running).
    High Tess JH
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Cuttin a Rug
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror JH (3 SH passes)
    Blackfoot's Mr Independence at Cedar Swamp JH
    Cedar Swamp's Angel in Disguise
    Cedar Swamp's Test Pilot
    Cedar Swamp's Bonanza
    Cedar Swamp's Twisted Sister

Others have also graced our hearts...gone not forgotten.
    RC Buckshot of Seven Hickories MH
    Ceader Swamp's Deuces Wild SH
    Fallen Timber's Second Chance MH
    Ceader Swamp's Mac Millett SH
    and several others...

MY neighbor, hiding in the woods next to our field, using a silent whistle, blowing SIT's & here's during training sessions (FTP). We shortly overcame the problem and my dog knew the difference, but later in the week he told me what he had done and how funny it was.... I wanted to kick his arse!

My boss always threatens to throw hamburgers and steaks around the field that I train in. As far as I know he hasn't done it yet....my boss is so nice

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    Years ago I kept duck decoys in the yard and ran the dogs through and around them during various drills, so the dogs would get used to them and ignore them.
    It worked fine, but months later I learned that my 4 year old apprentice dog trainer daughter would throw the decoys for the dogs to retrieve while I was at work.
    Oops. Sounds like she was getting your dog ready to help you pick up the decoys when you're done hunting.
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

I was watching a buddy run at a hunt test and saw this happen. The judges were eating some biscuits right before the test started. As my buddy and his dog got ready for the first mark which was a walk up had to walk past where the judges were eating. Apparently the judges dropped some biscuit on the ground and the dog stopped to get breakfast as my buddy kept walking to the line. Bird was thrown and as he went to send the dog then he realized the dog was not there. The dog had no clue of anything but that biscuit.

I guess I could blame my husband for her terrible line manners because he doesn't reinforce her sit or her heeling.

But I have to admit, he helps in many other ways.
    Paula

HR Dixie's Southern Comfort IV, MH

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is it will not be needed until they try to take it.” - Thomas Jefferson