The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 12 ga shotgun

I have an SBE 2 and love it. A lot of my buddies dont shoot 3.5s because of the recoil. I use them for geese and dont see the difference from the 3s I shoot for ducks.....Well yes I do, they seem to drop the geese better than the 3s.
    I absolutely love the gun

I have shot registered skeet off and on since I was in my 20's, been fortunate to try just about every model target gun on the market from Kreighoff, Perazzi,Browning and high end Beretta O/U's...my personal choice of gas autoloader is a Remington 1100 because it fits me and my eye and budget....BUT if someone were just starting out and I wanted to put them in a soft recoil gas autoloader and money was not a major concern, I would put them in a Beretta Teknys or a Winchester SX2 (Browning Gold hunter)
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Low recoil and 3&1/2 inch shells don't go together... Buy some Hevishot - more energy at the bird, less at the shoulder. (Presleys Outdoors still has some at last year's prices. This year's prices aren't so good...)

Owned a variety of shotguns over my lifetime and Iíd haveto say the Berreta Extrema had the lowest recoil of all the guns Iíve had. I will also add every autoloader I have ever had has at one time or another turned into a single shot when hunting conditions were really poor.

A few years ago I sold my last auto and bought a Super Nova (at the time there were economic reasons also) and fell in love with it, very reliable and always effective. If I could only have one shotgun this would be it.

A couple of years later I received an O/U as a Christmas gift from my wife and daughter which is also chambered in 3 ĹĒ. It has become my main go to gun, I think sometimes simple is better.

Iím not saying Iíll never own another autoloader but for now Iím very pleased with what I have.

I'm happy with my SX3, light recoil,middle price range, you can adjust the cast/ yourself and has been very reliable.
    I didn't realize how much better a little shim adjustment can help in shouldering a gun and putting the bead right where it needs to be.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Love my Maxus, it fit the best.

There is no such thing as the best shotgun, rifle, handgun, bow, or slingshot. What works for you does not necessarily work for me, and vice versa. You need to handle a lot of weapons, and have someone help you find the best fit to your frame. I personally prefer O/U's but I wouldn't dream of taking my O/U's into a boat to get banged to hell and back, and I would be extremely concerned about doing the same with my prized Belgian A5's. That's what the autoloaders are for, and in black because IMO camo is a waste of good cash that can go into building the ammo cache (5.56, M2 ball, and .45 ACP - I have enough shotgun to last 10 years). The Gold Hunter works well for me because most Brownings fit me right out of the box. Once again, this is what works for me.
    Mike Boufford

Home to:
    UH HRCH Blue Sky's Carolina Contessa (500 Point Club)
    HRCH Firestorm Black on the Inside

UH HRCH MarshQurls Thunderfoot Jake SH (660 lifetime points) 2/24/02 - 12/11/08

"The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves." ó George Washington 1776

thanks for all the info i will still shoot 3" but i would just like a gun that will handle 3 1/2. really like the maxuss too not as expensive as the super vinci or sbeII

I thought I'd like the 3.5" chamber too but rarely use it.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

Sold my SBE 2 and bought a Beretta Xtrema 2 and love it. The Xtrema 2 is very soft shooting.