RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Best 12 ga shotgun

18K views 51 replies 43 participants last post by  cosmo38655 
#1 ·
i have a the vinci and im wanting a gun that will shoot 3 1/2 looking for input on softest shooting best duck gun

#4 ·
SBE II, with Pattern Master EX range, Deadly.

Gregg Leonard

#5 ·
I think in autoloaders, it is just personal preference as with any gun... Benelli, Beretta, Browning. As with any type of gun you can't go wrong with a "B" gun. I'll be getting one of those next year.. This year I will get by with my Remington 1187 and 870 ,both of which I have had little to no trouble with. I have heard some pretty decent reports on the new remington autoloader too. Good luck with your choice. Jim

#6 ·
If your looking for "soft shooting" the Versa Max is the way to go. A 3 in load feels like a 20 ga. I have one ordered. I just sold my SX3 and in my opinion it's the best gun I have ever hunted with. The only reason I'm trying the Versa Max is I had two shoulder surgeries last yr and hoping it will help a little. If not for that I'd still be shooting the SX3

#8 ·
Ford, Chevy, or Dodge???
I actually own and shoot a Remington 1187 auto, an 870, and Browning Citori Satin Hunter O/U. I have shot, and would own, a Benelli SBE if I could afford one (after fishing expenses-lol). ALL 3 are fantastic!!! My favorite is the Citori due to it's weight, balance, and fit. It simply handles 3 1/2" rounds VERY smoothly. Of course I don't get the extra shot, but hell, I never hit anything with a third anyway. I've probably saved enough money to pay for my Citori by not shooting a third shot-lol!!!

#10 ·
I love my browning maxxus used it all last year very light. Very little kick. Shot hundreds of light target loads thru it also not one jam at all on anything I shot thru it as of yet. Throw a 3 1/2 heavy load and you will notice it.

#11 ·
I bought a browning gold a few years ago in 3 1/2. I thought i needed a 3 1/2 but as time went on I realized I really didn't need it, I use a SKB o/u 12 gauge and usually only use 2 3/4 inch shells now. I kept missing ducks with the 3 1/2 '' so I asked a buddy of mine about it and he told me I was over shooting and needed to use a 2 3/4 and it worked. Just something that worked for me.

#12 ·
I bought a browning gold a few years ago in 3 1/2. I thought i needed a 3 1/2 but as time went on I realized I really didn't need it, I use a SKB o/u 12 gauge and usually only use 2 3/4 inch shells now. I kept missing ducks with the 3 1/2 '' so I asked a buddy of mine about it and he told me I was over shooting and needed to use a 2 3/4 and it worked. Just something that worked for me.
Good point...:)

#19 ·
BJ Gatley got it right.
Ford, Chevy, Dodge, BMW, Cadillac, Audi, Toyota, Kia, Honda, Ferrari, Mini Cooper, ........ you can't even begin to imagine the arguments for any automobile or firearm. What really matters is how the gun fits you. If your shotgun is pointing where you are looking when you pull the trigger you will be much more successful in hitting your target. Buy the shotgun that fits you best. It takes almost as much time and research and much less guessing as finding a great pup.

#20 · (Edited)
Personal choice, but I sure like a synthetic stock for waterfowling. I am pretty tough on a gun. Been shooting a Benelli for the last 15 years, thousands of rounds, mud, water, driven hard put away wet at times, pretty BULLET PROOF (couldn't help myself). I do think some of the newer guns have less recoil. I may be in the market as well. Got some shoulder issues.

#22 ·
I have shot registered skeet off and on since I was in my 20's, been fortunate to try just about every model target gun on the market from Kreighoff, Perazzi,Browning and high end Beretta O/U's...my personal choice of gas autoloader is a Remington 1100 because it fits me and my eye and budget....BUT if someone were just starting out and I wanted to put them in a soft recoil gas autoloader and money was not a major concern, I would put them in a Beretta Teknys or a Winchester SX2 (Browning Gold hunter)

#24 ·
Owned a variety of shotguns over my lifetime and I’d haveto say the Berreta Extrema had the lowest recoil of all the guns I’ve had. I will also add every autoloader I have ever had has at one time or another turned into a single shot when hunting conditions were really poor.

A few years ago I sold my last auto and bought a Super Nova (at the time there were economic reasons also) and fell in love with it, very reliable and always effective. If I could only have one shotgun this would be it.

A couple of years later I received an O/U as a Christmas gift from my wife and daughter which is also chambered in 3 ½”. It has become my main go to gun, I think sometimes simple is better.

I’m not saying I’ll never own another autoloader but for now I’m very pleased with what I have.

#27 ·
There is no such thing as the best shotgun, rifle, handgun, bow, or slingshot. What works for you does not necessarily work for me, and vice versa. You need to handle a lot of weapons, and have someone help you find the best fit to your frame. I personally prefer O/U's but I wouldn't dream of taking my O/U's into a boat to get banged to hell and back, and I would be extremely concerned about doing the same with my prized Belgian A5's. That's what the autoloaders are for, and in black because IMO camo is a waste of good cash that can go into building the ammo cache (5.56, M2 ball, and .45 ACP - I have enough shotgun to last 10 years). The Gold Hunter works well for me because most Brownings fit me right out of the box. Once again, this is what works for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.