RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

In Appreciation of Old Dogs and Green Ribbons

6K views 43 replies 37 participants last post by  Rick_C 
#1 ·
Mootsie, my old warhorse, turns ten (10) on September 7th. She was the oldest dog in the Centennial Field Trial this weekend. All this year, I have entered in both the Open and the Amateur. But, if she gets the marks in the first series of the Open, I scratch her in the Am. So far this year, I have not run the Amateur with her. And I typically get to the fourth series of the Open with her. But, she doesn't have the oomph to close the deal in the Open. So we get lots of green ribbons in the Open.

Mootsie doesn't train every day any more. There are days when you open the crate on the truck and she is tucked in the back, lost in sleep. On the days that she does train, she does one set up. It's hard seeing the dog that you grew up with grow old.

This weekend, she acted like a young pup again. She would bark in the truck if I left it (Mootsie barks like a seal. Once you hear her back, you will never forget it) for more than five minutes. She was trying to put her paws on my chest in the holding blind, and whining off and on - all behaviors that I haven't had to deal with since she was three or four. She wouldn't put her butt on the ground for the marks - no matter how forcefully I said sit. It was kind of like we entered a time machine.

She ran a pretty good trial and I thought we might be in for a placement. That didn't happen. We got a green ribbon. In part, I was disappointed, because as a competitor, I always want to win. But, mostly, I was pleased that she didn't act her age and acted like the dog I knew several years ago. She ran a good trial and had fun doing so.

I know that her time is quickly coming, and that I will be retiring her soon. But, it was nice seeing the old girl work this weekend. And I am happy for the green ribbon to remind me of it.

See less See more
#27 ·
Ted- very nice story and one that I'm sure you may never forget (which is what it's all about)!

#30 ·
Such a cool story. I sure do love the old dogs.

#31 ·
Many will tell you when it's time to stop. We all should listen, and respect what they are telling us.
A few will never tell you. Like Zowie..They will try, even though, their body will not allow. I honestly think they would die trying..
Amazing creatures, these dogs of ours.

Thanks for the post, Ted.

#32 ·
Ted,

Thanks for sharing your stories. Mootsie sounds so very special. And your story about the water blind and Ace made me LOL. Thank you for that.

I hope that Mootsie has a few more trials in her.

Thanks for sharing.

Janet

#33 ·
When I first started in trials there was an elderly gentleman who always brought his old dog along to training. The dog was pretty crippled up with arthritis and who knows what else but he still had that spark in his old eyes. His owner would take one of the training birds, throw it about 20 feet and send the dog. Dog would do his best to get the bird, bring it back and then rest for the remainder of the day.
It was truly beautiful to see the man's devotion to his dog and the dog's happiness in getting to retrieve.

#36 ·
Ted-

Both great stories.

#42 ·
Ted,
Thanks for sharing the story. I really enjoyed it. Here's to all the old dogs and their last field trial, hunt test, etc....

Greg

#43 ·
The old girl ran another good field trial, close but no cigar. Got a RJ in the Open at the Cheyenne Retriever Trial.

#44 ·
Good for her. I missed this when you originally posted it but loved the stories.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.