The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Retrieving to the back pile with confidence

Default Retrieving to the back pile with confidence

My pup and I have been working on Double T for sometime now (~3 months). He understood Mini T quickly (1 month) and does not have trouble with the hand signals that I give him. Lately when I send him to the back pile, it seems like he does not go with a lot of confidence until he sees the back pile. When I send him he goes on the line I give him but if he glances over and see the over pile he diverges from that line to go to that pile. When he does that I bring him back and resend him on the original back pile line.

Some corrective actions that I have taken is to remove the over piles and just had the back pile out there. He does this without much of a problem. He just doesn't drive to the back pile with a lot of confidence.

I tried wagon wheel and he goes to those great because he can see them. Is there a drill or a way I can instill more confidence in him that if I send him on that line there will be a bumper?
    Rocky's Last Chambered Shell-"Ruger"

3 months on the Double T? if so you have a problem

Wagon wheel after Double T not during, clean up Double T and move on or just move on

somewhere between Boca Grande and Nova Scotia

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post

Wagon wheel after Double T not during, clean up Double T and move on or just move on

Sometimes the just move on is the right thing to do. TT is great if done right with a dog that will. Others benefit just as much from the basic concept and never nail it, but still go on to be very good handling dogs.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Not all dogs run fast during drills and blinds. Can you post a video? It is hard to visualize in just words
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired

Yea like somethings with my pup and I (probably mostly because of me being a rookie trainer) have taken longer for us to really get down. Also, I want to be very thorough and make sure he has it down before I move on. I do not want to get to the next step to find out that we are struggling because we went to fast in the previous step.

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    Others benefit just as much from the basic concept and never nail it.
    I think this is where we are now. He will do it. Its just not with the attitude that I typically see from him when he really gets it.

im having some of the same problems. he was doing great with lining then i added the t and i can hardly get him to leave my side. so i do remote casts to send him and he wont take a right back till i walk the 3 feet to him. once he goes he will stop right where i want him to and will do a right or left no prob.
    never mind the non stop bugging. lol

I agree with what others have said so far about not looking for perfection and just moving on. Sounds like your dog is just bored with the drill. Try this, use birds at your back pile. If the pace picks up dramatically you will know he's just blowing you off and its a sure sign its time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    x2 Plip,
    if you been double T'in for that long, this rtf thread from 2009 is a good use of 10 min of your life
    click - http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...double+gallery
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Hang on, you said he goes but not with confidence until he SEES the back pile? The back pile should be clearly visible at all times in TT work.

I have done it (usually do) in places where you can't control the mowing schedule, so you have to use a bucket or a blind pole to give him something to key in on visually.

The first time your dog should be running away from you to get a bumper that isn't visible is in pattern blinds, if I recall correctly.

Put a white bucket out and throw the first bumper into the pile. See if that doesn't cleat up your problem.
    Darrin Greene